Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: How do I power a 10 to 13 GPU mining rig?  (Read 410 times)

Offline ImmyFTW

• View Profile
How do I power a 10 to 13 GPU mining rig?
« on: September 04, 2017, 09:27:06 PM »
Hey everyone! Im planning on building a rig with 10 to 13 GTX 1070's, but I am not sure what kind or how many PSU's to use to prevent a fire hazard. I do plan on overclocking too.

Any insights would be great, thanks!

Offline bitcoinbrains

• View Profile
Re: How do I power a 10 to 13 GPU mining rig?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 09:52:17 AM »
Each 1070 needs about 150W so even with 10 cards you will need at least two PSUs. The other issue is that a standard North American residential circuit won't be able to handle that much either.
I'd personally split it into two rigs with 5-7 cards each.

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 09:52:17 AM »

Offline ImmyFTW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »
Each 1070 needs about 150W so even with 10 cards you will need at least two PSUs. The other issue is that a standard North American residential circuit won't be able to handle that much either.
I'd personally split it into two rigs with 5-7 cards each.

Hey, thanks! I believe I could also spread the load over different circuits via an extension cord. Either way, do you think a 1300W PSU per 6 GPUs be overkill?

Offline Arinoth

• Here I Am. Here I Remain
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 11:38:26 AM »
From an electrical safety point of view you do not want to be running 2 power supplies to 1 rig off of two separate breakers. As the power supplies themselves will be connected to each other you could possible be create extra load on one of the breakers / power supplies in the result the other one is/gets tripped. There is a possibility a fire could start from this. You'd be safer running two separate rigs on two separate breakers.

Offline ImmyFTW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 01:38:36 PM »
From an electrical safety point of view you do not want to be running 2 power supplies to 1 rig off of two separate breakers. As the power supplies themselves will be connected to each other you could possible be create extra load on one of the breakers / power supplies in the result the other one is/gets tripped. There is a possibility a fire could start from this. You'd be safer running two separate rigs on two separate breakers.

:o Thanks for the headsup! Okay, two rigs it is then!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal