Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: Fort Mac donation build  (Read 6994 times)

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
Fort Mac donation build
« on: May 09, 2016, 06:17:21 AM »
Yesterday supaflyx3 linked me to a posting about a family in need from Fort Mac looking to build a low cost system for their son after he lost his computer to the fire so he could talk to his friends online during this shitty time.

So I contacted the father and he ended up just being a awesome guy who really cared about his son.

I looked around my spare hardware and noticed I had 2 gutted Dell precisions from a bulk of systems I got a few months back.

The first one was in good shape but had no cpu or ram and the second one was in good shape but had no gpu or ram.

I hunted through all my junk and spare bins and found all the following.

12gb ecc 1066 ddr3
Intel w3565 quad core same as i7 960
Few junk gpus but Oelmuvun gave me a gtx 460 a few months back with a ghetto cooler. So I am sending the wife to grab a cheap aftermarket gpu cooler for it today.
Put dual 320gb hdds in
And tonight I think I'll upgrade the psu as well.
Also giving him a spare 22" lcd
A almost new in box madcats headset as well.
Loaded 7 as there was a key on the case and did the free upgrade to 10.
Tonight it's major dusting and new compound time.

If I had a good jigsaw I would make a side window but I won't have time for that sadly.

So I think this is the third rhr donation system since we started and though it's not a power house it is more then enough to get into some gaming :)
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

Online supaflyx3

• Commentator
  • Global Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Mac donation build
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 10:57:19 AM »
Glad we can help the kid out, if anyone needs a computer it's definitely him!

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 10:57:19 AM »

Offline Bond007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 03:40:37 PM »
A very good use of your parts. Nice work!
Desktop: Arc Midi R2, Z77-D3H, 3570K @ 4.1ghz undervolted with Zalman Optima Cooler, Vengeance 2x4gb @ 1866mhz, XFX R9 280X DD, Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB

Away from home light Gamer: Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, Vengeance 2x4gb, M500 240gb,

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 06:18:01 PM »
Thanks guys she's getting picked up tonight.

Fixed the busted gpu fan and cleaned it way out.

Gpu before

After the fan was swapped over

Then she was a little dusty

Then she got data vac'ed

End products not half bad and runs damn cool I'll get some Temps shortly
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

Offline Bond007

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 09:02:53 PM »
Nice. I sure hope it's appreciated.
Desktop: Arc Midi R2, Z77-D3H, 3570K @ 4.1ghz undervolted with Zalman Optima Cooler, Vengeance 2x4gb @ 1866mhz, XFX R9 280X DD, Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB

Away from home light Gamer: Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, Vengeance 2x4gb, M500 240gb,

Offline photographic_mammory

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 04:32:04 PM »
Check PMs.  We're going to improve the gaming performance of this rig, if the power supply can handle it.

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 09:29:19 PM »
photographic_mammory went way above and beyond by donating a awesome msi 7870 tf
the compound was a little dry as I was getting temp spikes of up to 91c

But after changing the compound they max out at 65c during stress testing

Had to mod the case a little to fit the bigger card in.

All and all the system runs amazing they are now picking it up tomorrow as I was out of town the last two days :)

Offline Bond007

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 12:40:44 AM »
Check PMs.  We're going to improve the gaming performance of this rig, if the power supply can handle it.

Well done!

Offline Shiver

• Guardian
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 08:48:46 AM »
That looks awesome!

Very nice that everyone involved helped out :)
This is why I love being Canadian,

-Shiver

Offline photographic_mammory

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 06:11:00 PM »
I replaced it with a gtx 970 months ago and it just sat on a shelf since, losing value.  I kind of hate selling shit on kijiji, so being able to do something positive with it and avoid dealing with offers of beats by dre made it a win-win. 

I bet he gets ~30ish fps on Arma3, if the cpu can keep up.

Offline Midget Boy of DOOM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 10:01:13 PM »
Hi! This is mbdoom, the recipient of this amazing computer, I would really like to thank Soullessone21 for putting in the time and effort into making this machine so that I can connect with friends who are scattered across the country as a result of the Fort McMurray fire.
This means so much to me, at home I used to play on Steam with my friends regularly and this is something I thought would be lost due to the fire. I never thought I would have a chance to play on the PC again until I was able to save up to buy a new system (My dad made me buy and build my first PC, except for the Power Supply and Video card, he said this was so that if I got grounded he could just take away his power supply) or when we finally get to go back home hoping my PC survived the fire.
My friends were able to make it out of the city with their gaming laptops so they have already been able to start playing games again and it is great that because of you I am able to join them. I did ask my Mom to rescue my computer but she felt that my sister was more important, and though I agree I think she could have had my sister carry the computer.
So again thank you to Soullessone21, photographic_mammory, and everyone else who has helped build this computer or just provided support to Fort Mac evacuees in general, every little thing helps.
mbdoom

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »
Very happy to hear you like the system Doom, feel welcome to add me on steam I go by the same name as here :)

Here is the last picture of the system before it left here

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 09:24:02 PM »
Hi! This is mbdoom, the recipient of this amazing computer, I would really like to thank Soullessone21 for putting in the time and effort into making this machine so that I can connect with friends who are scattered across the country as a result of the Fort McMurray fire.
This means so much to me, at home I used to play on Steam with my friends regularly and this is something I thought would be lost due to the fire. I never thought I would have a chance to play on the PC again until I was able to save up to buy a new system (My dad made me buy and build my first PC, except for the Power Supply and Video card, he said this was so that if I got grounded he could just take away his power supply) or when we finally get to go back home hoping my PC survived the fire.
My friends were able to make it out of the city with their gaming laptops so they have already been able to start playing games again and it is great that because of you I am able to join them. I did ask my Mom to rescue my computer but she felt that my sister was more important, and though I agree I think she could have had my sister carry the computer.
So again thank you to Soullessone21, photographic_mammory, and everyone else who has helped build this computer or just provided support to Fort Mac evacuees in general, every little thing helps.
mbdoom

how was the weekend with the rig did it work well for you or was it not enough power for your intended use and is the headset comfortable at all?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal