Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: Project Downsize  (Read 6237 times)

Offline enaberif

• View Profile
Re: Project Downsize
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 08:14:40 PM »
Just form that cover around the pump if you want. You could punch some holes in the top of it to allow airflow through and up if you wanted.

Offline LPfan4ever

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 08:32:12 PM »
Damn look at that gpu sag :p

It's not sagging, one of the screws for the backplate/water block is hitting the third RAM slot. Not sure how I'm gonna work around that one.

Just form that cover around the pump if you want. You could punch some holes in the top of it to allow airflow through and up if you wanted.

As it stands now the cover will fit along and end at the end of the motherboard tray, since it's just open space after that. I moved the pump up enough and it'll clear the cover with ease and not block the radiator's fittings.

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 08:32:12 PM »

Offline LPfan4ever

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 12:20:34 AM »
Leak testing has begun. Only took 12 hours to bend, bend, cut, bend, cut, bend, and place, all of the tubing. For first time acrylic bending though, it wasn't toooooo bad.

Offline LPfan4ever

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 01:53:26 PM »
Here's the ghetto bending rig. To be honest, I pretty much only ever used the 90 degree mandrel, with the 180 being good for making 90's really close to other 90's. However, in the picture after it, you see what happens when you try bending too much too close. Weird ripples and just overall bad bends.

And FINALLY leak testing. I only had one immediate leak right at the pump output, which was due to the tubing not being bent quite right enough. If the tubing isn't pretty much completely perpendicular to the fitting, the orings don't do shit. The nice part was I was able to drain the little bit of liquid, pull the tubing out, and just adjust the bend a bit to get it where it needed to be.

I didn't manage to get the PSU cover made due to a number of reasons. (Mainly the fact that the tubing took 12 hours...) I plan to test the build with straight distilled before I put my coolant in, hopefully everything all works because I do not want to pull anything apart at this point.

Offline LPfan4ever

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 05:58:46 PM »
Preliminary OC tests are seeming like 4.7GHz is solid. Gonna push 4.8 tonight and see how that goes. Gotta get Photoshop/Lightroom reinstalled as well so I can edit pictures.

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 07:14:11 AM »
Rig looks great. Nice OC to
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 18A7dGBpZWM1JSN8Zm4XPzY4SnQUop3L9r
Eth:0xd29ce054805239c93b27cbed98fc341fd0418a85

Offline enaberif

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 10:01:43 PM »
Not to say much... but part of his cable hiding contraption has been built.

Offline LPfan4ever

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 10:39:35 PM »
Yes it has! I've gotta clean up the edges, wipe down the steel, and figure out the best way to get this wrapped without looking like ass. Gonna try for sometime this week for a proper update, but in all honesty I assume I'll have to wait till the weekend.

Offline yzfraven

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 10:22:19 AM »
Yes it has! I've gotta clean up the edges, wipe down the steel, and figure out the best way to get this wrapped without looking like ass. Gonna try for sometime this week for a proper update, but in all honesty I assume I'll have to wait till the weekend.

That has to be a heavy steel box. Why did you not use aircraft aluminum just as strong, but lighter weight..  just wondering..
MSI Z97 Gaming 5, 4770K @4.2GHz,CM Nepton 280L,HyperX 16GB ,Kingston V300 series 240GB SSD ,WD 750GB, MSI Radeon R9 380 4GD5T OC. Evga SuperNOVA 750 B2. NZXT Source 530, V243H LCD
Ryzen 1700X @ 4.0GHz , Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO, 16GB LPX Corsair, WB 1TB Sata, Muskin 250GB SSD, R9 Fury, Evga 1000CQ

Offline enaberif

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 10:34:29 AM »
It has some weight but it isn't that heavy. If I was to take a guess I'd say its 16g or 18g steel.. It just looks like it would be heavy.

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2016, 10:39:26 AM »

why not fill the imperfections then use some high grit steel polish and make that mofo shine.

or fill the gaps then sand it and paint it up real nice
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

Offline enaberif

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2016, 10:45:57 AM »
why not fill the imperfections then use some high grit steel polish and make that mofo shine.

I put the box together and the rest is up to the owner in what they want to do lol. He wants to vinyl wrap it but myself agree a bit of paint could be better.. but his choice.

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2016, 10:53:59 AM »
I put the box together and the rest is up to the owner in what they want to do lol. He wants to vinyl wrap it but myself agree a bit of paint could be better.. but his choice.

I think you did a good job and fully agree.

Vinyl most likely would not work perfect with the rough surface to, he would need to get sand it down a lot till it was smoother.

There is lots of Poly based paints that work great on steel and look awesome.

Offline LPfan4ever

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2016, 11:58:35 AM »

Because that's money I have to spend vs. the vinyl I already have. Also a shiny steel box has no place in my rig, would look stupid considering everything else is black/white/purple.

IF the vinyl is a complete flop it'll get painted. But I will be trying the vinyl first for sure.

Offline LPfan4ever

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2016, 09:56:34 PM »

So I didn't die, just have been stupid busy. As it stands right now the rig has run 24/7 at 4.474 GHz /3232MHz since I put it together. I'm not gonna easily or "safely" get it much higher than that, but I'm completely content with that. The colours in that picture are way off, so look forward to something taken with my camera rather than my phone.

To continue on the build though. Steel PSU cover has been stripped down to pretty much nothing, gaps filled with putty, and has received a single coat of black flexidip. The weather decided that right after I had accomplished that one coat it would be time to rain, then torrential downpour, then snow, and is now sitting at just too cold for painting properly. It's basically the last piece I have to complete for the rig now that....

I ordered more parts. (Thanks GaK45 and Shiver)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal