Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: Project Downsize  (Read 5718 times)

Offline LPfan4ever

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
Project Downsize
« on: January 23, 2016, 07:28:38 PM »
As a few of you know, I'm running a massive CM Cosmos II. As much as the case is nice to look at it's just way too big for me. I struggle to get it up the stairs to clean it, therefore it rarely gets cleaned. With a smaller case comes smaller parts, and a nice (crazy) upgrade. Hopefully I'll get my AMD parts back from my brother real soon so I can move the storage drives into another HTPC rig.

My current build is as follows:
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II
CPU: 3770k @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu Black Series (2x 8GB)
PSU: Kingwin Lazer 1000W
GPU: Asus R9 290X
Sound Card: Auzentech Forte
Storage:
2x Corsair Force GS 240GB in RAID0
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GB for Photoshop and Lightroom
2x Hitachi 5k3000 2TB
Seagate LP 2TB (Backup)
Water stuff:
CPU Block: EK Supreme HF Full Nickel
GPU Block: XSPC Razor R9 290/290X with matching backplate
Radiator: XSPC AX360 Black (3x 1850RPM Gentle Typhoons)
Pump: Laing D5 w/ Koolance COV-RP450 pump top and 120x60mm tube res
Fittings: Bitspower matte black 7/16ID 5/8OD
Tubing: XSPC high-flex tube - white

The new build should look something like this, changes bolded:

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2
CPU: 6700k
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Gene VIII
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz (2x8GB, black)
PSU: Kingwin Lazer 1000W
GPU: Asus R9 290X
Sound Card: Auzentech Forte
Storage:
2x Corsair Force GS 240GB in RAID0
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GB for Photoshop and Lightroom
2x Hitachi 5k3000 2TB
Seagate LP 2TB (Backup)
Water stuff:
CPU Block: EK Supreme HF Full Nickel
GPU Block: XSPC Razor R9 290/290X with matching backplate
Radiator: XSPC AX360 Black (3x 1850RPM Gentle Typhoons) Maybe 6x if the case can fit it
Pump: Laing D5 w/ Koolance COV-RP450 pump top and 120x60mm tube res
Fittings: Darkside Hard Tube Straight Fitting 10/12mm - Black
Tubing: Bitspower Crystal Link (Acrylic) Tube 12mm OD - White
Liquid: Mayhems Pastel Extreme - White + Mayhems Purple Dye

I am going to need to do a complete strip down of all my WC parts, clean them, reassemble, and flush for a while, due to the aforementioned laziness. Don't want the coolant getting all nasty because I was too lazy to flush right.

For teasers:

Offline yzfraven

• View Profile
Re: Project Downsize
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 08:29:47 PM »
Sounds like your going to have a nice rig LPfan4ever, can't wait to see more pics of the new build.
MSI Z97 Gaming 5, 4770K @4.2GHz,CM Nepton 280L,HyperX 16GB ,Kingston V300 series 240GB SSD ,WD 750GB, MSI Radeon R9 380 4GD5T OC. Evga SuperNOVA 750 B2. NZXT Source 530, V243H LCD
Ryzen 1700X @ 4.0GHz , Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO, 16GB LPX Corsair, WB 1TB Sata, Muskin 250GB SSD, R9 Fury, Evga 1000CQ

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 08:29:47 PM »

Offline LPfan4ever

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 07:17:44 PM »
Boxes and boxes, the sign of things to come. The case was open box from NCIX and is physically flawless despite that huge gouge in the side of the box. If there's actually an issue with it, it would have to be either fans of stuff on the front panel.

I'm gonna have a large amount of work delayed till the weekend due to the accident last Friday. Last thing I wanna do is lift up a 90lb case right now  :P The to do tonight is play around with the sleeved extensions I bought and get the colours all mixed right. After than I need to practice some acrylic bending before I go all the way and tear down the current rig.

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 06:00:36 AM »
What's in the daz box? where's the photos of what's in the daz box? Come on lpfan we paid to see epic watercooling gear here :p
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

Offline enaberif

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 07:33:48 AM »
What's in the daz box? where's the photos of what's in the daz box? Come on lpfan we paid to see epic watercooling gear here :p

He's milking his accident for all its worth!  ::)

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 08:00:17 AM »
He's milking his accident for all its worth!  ::)

I know and every time he posts about it on facebook I make sure to post "But what about the most important thing, hows your bike?" haha

just messing with you Kyle now at least you can say you lived through getting hit by a car :P
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

Offline Oelmuvun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 05:38:22 PM »
You know, to speed things up you guys could go over there and lift his 90lbs case for him... then drink all his beer.  ;)

Offline LPfan4ever

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 09:43:32 PM »
Best part about all this is I start my on-call shift as of today.

And Enaberif tried to kill me tonight. The world doesn't want this build finished!

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 10:06:38 PM »
Best part about all this is I start my on-call shift as of today.

And Enaberif tried to kill me tonight. The world doesn't want this build finished!

Think we should hold all the parts at my place in case you die :P

Offline enaberif

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 10:33:36 PM »
Fuck now I'm going to be forever bugged about that. Its not my fault a bolt came loose in the steering linkage and I couldn't steer a 3000lb truck and almost took out a light pole and ended up perpendicular to the road.

Offline Oelmuvun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 09:58:06 AM »
It was your fault if you tightened the bolt. :P Also 3000lbs? That is not a truck.
Either way, to me it sounds like typical traffic in your city.  ;)

LP, I just need to say that you should not be afraid of all trucks, mine will not try to kill you. :)

Offline LPfan4ever

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 12:57:46 PM »
I haven't forgotten about this thread. So far I'm having abysmal results with cramming my shit into the Arc Mini R2. Due to my old 1000W PSU being what it is, the space behind the motherboard is nowhere near enough. I am working with some ideas to make a cover for the PSU area to cover the PSU and up until the end of the motherboard tray, which will let me hide the cables out of sight and let me actually close the side panel. I am toying around with some corrugated plastic and krazy glue for the time being, but Ena has suggested we take a try at steel bending this weekend. Either way, the end result will be wrapped in white vinyl to compliment the cables and tubing.

Also my brother has yet to send me my old AMD parts from back home that will let me set up my HTPC. Due to the size of the pump/res I have I cannot install ANY 3.5" HDDs into the case. They will be moved to the HTPC setup as soon as the parts get here.

Also the lack of pictures is due to the fact that my editing rig is this rig that is in a million pieces. Once I've gotten at least functional I will throw up some progress pictures. A large amount of them right now will chronicle why you don't run distilled with only a silver coil and not change the fluid for like a year...

Offline enaberif

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 02:41:36 PM »
I haven't forgotten about this thread. So far I'm having abysmal results with cramming my shit into the Arc Mini R2. Due to my old 1000W PSU being what it is, the space behind the motherboard is nowhere near enough. I am working with some ideas to make a cover for the PSU area to cover the PSU and up until the end of the motherboard tray, which will let me hide the cables out of sight and let me actually close the side panel. I am toying around with some corrugated plastic and krazy glue for the time being, but Ena has suggested we take a try at steel bending this weekend. Either way, the end result will be wrapped in white vinyl to compliment the cables and tubing.

Also my brother has yet to send me my old AMD parts from back home that will let me set up my HTPC. Due to the size of the pump/res I have I cannot install ANY 3.5" HDDs into the case. They will be moved to the HTPC setup as soon as the parts get here.

Also the lack of pictures is due to the fact that my editing rig is this rig that is in a million pieces. Once I've gotten at least functional I will throw up some progress pictures. A large amount of them right now will chronicle why you don't run distilled with only a silver coil and not change the fluid for like a year...

Oh puleeze .. you can take photos with your phone.. Slacking off.  ;D

Offline LPfan4ever

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 07:50:48 PM »
Oh shush you. I mean that all of the current progress pics are on my camera, in RAW, and my laptop's colours are WAY off.

Nonetheless here's a proof of concept (and some progress) of what I'm aiming for. I'm going to have to move the pump up slightly to clear the top of the PSU cover though.

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 08:02:15 PM »
Damn look at that gpu sag :p

It's worse then mine haha

Looks like a great build

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal