Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: Sega PC Mark II  (Read 8437 times)

Offline Bond007

• View Profile
Re: Sega PC Mark II
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 07:26:23 PM »
Nice to see the parts list arriving. I will have to do an itx build at some point...though it won't be as creative as yours.
Desktop: Arc Midi R2, Z77-D3H, 3570K @ 4.1ghz undervolted with Zalman Optima Cooler, Vengeance 2x4gb @ 1866mhz, XFX R9 280X DD, Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB

Away from home light Gamer: Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, Vengeance 2x4gb, M500 240gb,

Offline Arinoth

• Here I Am. Here I Remain
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 07:48:27 AM »
Couple of additional items purchased off eBay to deal with the audio situation. Namely the audio solution I used for the Uno/Mega doesn't or won't work for the Due (drivers in the library haven't been made) so I either needed an LM386 circuit or a different audio module. The audio module I had previously bought doesn't work for whatever reason, it was only a few bucks but sad to see the SD card portion of it can't even be read, oh well.

Rather than just buy an LM386 (audio amplifier) and build the circuit, there exists for a little bit more a pre-built one, which I purchased two (in case one dies or is bad)

IF this for some reason doesn't work, I have also purchased an MP3 Decoder Board 2W Amplifier Module which I could put the SD card that has the music/audio I want on it, then have the Arduino send a single to play the specific track, theoretically anyway. The advantage of this board is that it comes with an amplifier to support up to a 2W speaker, seeing as mine is only 0.5W it should be good, 'should' be.

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 07:48:27 AM »

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 08:09:45 PM »
Do you have a plan for how to use the old cartridges? Maybe a hdd in one and mount a docking station to the slot in the Sega :)
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 18A7dGBpZWM1JSN8Zm4XPzY4SnQUop3L9r
Eth:0xd29ce054805239c93b27cbed98fc341fd0418a85

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 08:12:50 PM »
Well inside the cartridge is going to have the LCD screen, if there is space for the SSD I'll put it in there, no idea if I'll make it or let it be removable or not, just for you know bunch of wires from the LCD screen.

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 04:52:45 PM »
It was finally time to bust out the dremel I received from my father two Christmases ago and start to cut out some pieces of this Sega Genesis that I either don't need or that will be in the way of either the motherboard sitting in it, or the low profile I/O panel.

After cutting out some of the button plastic supports that were used for the Sega Genesis itself I temporarily super glued some motherboard mounting posts so that I could mount the motherboard to the case so it won't move all over the place. The motherboard was only installed AFTER I made additional cuts to the back of the Sega Genesis case and not when it was in there. I will also be using additional adhesive on the motherboard posts so that they won't easily move.

Next is the rear I/O panel roughly in place with the motherboard install, I will need to cut out a bit more of the case at the bottom right corner as it's causing it to stick up a bit more than I want.

Here is the Sega Genesis case assembled, I know the cuts aren't the best, first time using this thing plus cutting on a curved service isn't the easiest. If I am not happy with this I do have the second Sega Genesis case I can cut and learn from these mistakes.

This final picture is just showing the front peaking in from the top of the closed case.

Offline RapidQuick

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2015, 05:31:38 PM »
nice!

Offline trodas

• Media/News
  • Just one crazy computer geek :)
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2015, 06:35:49 PM »
Wow, thanks for sharing, a very nice interesting project. However... how do you are going to cool the CPU? That case is very limiting in size and airflow... so... there is not much options left. What is the CPU anyway? TDP?  ;)
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2015, 08:02:03 PM »
Thanks guys, it's a Pentium G3220 and  the plan is to use a low profile heat sink.

Offline Oelmuvun

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 05:50:39 PM »
Get a Sega CD and put a tiny custom radiator in it?  :P

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 06:24:12 PM »
Get a Sega CD and put a tiny custom radiator in it?  :P
I like that idea :)
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 18A7dGBpZWM1JSN8Zm4XPzY4SnQUop3L9r
Eth:0xd29ce054805239c93b27cbed98fc341fd0418a85

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2015, 08:10:06 PM »
That's not the plan or was that the scope right now to do so, maybe PC Mark III if there are funds for it.

Offline RapidQuick

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 06:45:33 AM »
I like that idea :)

Turn the SEGA logo into a heatsink

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2015, 08:56:17 PM »
It is time for another update, seeing as it's better to update you guys with things you can see versus me just droning on about coding issues.

First off, I did have to solve a few coding issues with my Windows program that handles the data communicated to it from the Arduino. For some reason Upgrading to Windows 10 AND Visual Studio 2015 the code that I was using for serial (aka USB) communication wasn't working. I spent several days trying to find out different ways to do usb/serial communication until I stumbled upon a slightly modified version of what I was using. All said and done, USB communication between the Arduino and the Windows program is fixed.

With that fixed I received a few timely packages in the mail. One is an MP3 module with an amplifier in it that 'should' let me hook up a speaker, insert a micro SD card with mp3s on it, then hit the play button and get a song pumping out out of the speaker. Sadly this didn't seem to be the case, and without any form of datasheet for this MP3 module I didn't really have much to go on for troubleshooting or debugging the issue.

Putting that aside I went to the other item I received in the mail, an LM386 audio amplifier circuit that is pre-built on a PCB board. Hooking that up to the output of the Arduinos DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) I went and tried to use the Simple Audio Player sample program that Arduino includes in its library to see if I could get it to work. Well for some reason it wouldn't, I was getting no sound out of the DAC0 through the amp to the speaker. I was able to find another person's library/program that converts an audio wav file into a c++ header file that a program reads and spits out over the DAC to at least see if I was using the wrong wav file format. After a little fiddling around I was receiving audio out of my speaker.  I tried to convert my Sega audio sample to this header file, but sadly the audio quality was rather poor. Instead I was determined to get the Simple Audio Player program to work, and now I knew my circuit worked.

I converted the audio file I had to the specific wav file details that are required, fiddled with the pot to control the gain/volume and voila, audio! I am still trying to figure out how to remove the static that the speaker plays when there is no audio file to play, this is because the DAC is putting out a non zero value which the amplifier circuit amplifiers resulting in the noise/static.

I also was able to make it so that I can digitally control when the LCD screen will be on. Originally I had hoped to use a transistor, but because of the supply voltage I required vs the voltage that the Due Digital Output pin could provide it wasn't matching/lining up. As I don't have any 'standard' buffer circuits, but I have several logic gate chips instead.Being creative I determined if I hooked up TWO NOT gates one after the other I would get the same output as I would an input. As the NOT gates act like buffers and their output values are that of what the chip itself is powered by (5V), me supplying it a 3.3V high would just trigger the the gate high and give me the 5V I need for the LCD backlight screen.

What is shown in the video attached is the Arduino being powered on, with the LCD screen turned off. On a command terminal I feed it the value I have 'preset' in both my programs that will let the Arduino know that the computer has turned on, thus enabling the LCD screen to show the eventual Sega logo animation (right now it's just the RHR Logo) and play the Sega wav sound at the same time. Enjoy!

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2016, 06:14:46 AM »
No pictures for this update, but I just received my Serial straight through extension cables as the Sega to USB adapter I ordered by Mayflower isn't spaced correctly to fit into the Sega Genesis' controller slots. This is odd as it means the multi-tap won't work on it either, maybe that is by design.

It took some troubleshooting, along with going through 3 different controllers and my old Sega to USB adapter I still have from the Mark I to get the Mayflower adapter to properly recognize the Sega Genesis Controllers. Once that was a success, I checked to see if the serial straight through extension cables were straight throughs (bought them from eBay), the controller still works in Windows!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal