Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: wife's new gaming build  (Read 2536 times)

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
wife's new gaming build
« on: August 22, 2014, 07:17:24 PM »
Time to get back into gaming with the wife. Looked around at cases and she settled on wanting something like http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/apevia-apevia-x-cruiser3-computer-case-pink-red-x-cruiser3-pk/10261511.aspx not a case I have ever worked with but for sure something different.

Anyone ever work with this case?

Now the next hard part.
What board and combo should I choose(I own all the following)
Asus Crosshair iv formula and fx4300
Gigabyte x79-up4 and 3820k
Asus sabertooth x79 3960x
Msi fm2+ 88x mobo and get a apu

She will also either take one of our current lcds or I will sell some and get one 4k or 21x9 screen

Next gpu...
we have the following in the maybe
Again own all of these
Dual 270x msi
Dual 280x asus tops
Single 290x and water cool it
Pny 770 4gb
Dual 6970

She wants quiet operation and minimal heat.

Hdd all taken care of

Still need know and mouse and a great headset.
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

Offline Bond007

• View Profile
Re: wife's new gaming build
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 07:35:04 PM »
I would go for the 3820k. Its more than up to the job of gaming, while being much faster than an APU or the fx4300. Obviously you could go to the 3960x, but its not going to yield a tangible gain IMO.

For GPU its a tougher call. Given you will be running high res I would either run the dual 280x or single 290x. Your call on the noise front and if you want to do watercooling. I suspect the dual 280x (given they are ASUS) should run relatively cool and quiet, and should net you the highest overall performance. If you want to avoid any potential crossfire issues, then go for the 290x and call it a day.

If she ends up on an HD monitor though, any of those GPU setups is going to be fine.

Quiet operation is going to be about fan choice (which I know you are aware of). Low heat is the issue....I would stick with the 3820k regardless, but if heat is a major issue the only way around it would be to go to lower end GPUs (or single vice dual), which will result in having to lower game settings. Need to find the balance for her.
Desktop: Arc Midi R2, Z77-D3H, 3570K @ 4.1ghz undervolted with Zalman Optima Cooler, Vengeance 2x4gb @ 1866mhz, XFX R9 280X DD, Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB

Away from home light Gamer: Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, Vengeance 2x4gb, M500 240gb,

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 07:35:04 PM »

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 08:46:02 AM »
Case ordered :P

Next week we go even farther with the build.

Current build specs

Sabertooth X79
Intel I7 3960x
Hyper 212 Evo
16GB DDR3 1600
512GB Adata SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro
Asus 280x CuII
AX850 PSU

Only things still needed:
LCD 27" Min
Desk
Keyboard mouse and headset
Wireless card
October 14th to hurry up and get here

Think thats it
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:02:42 PM by Soullessone21 »
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

Offline TheDarkLord

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 06:58:12 PM »

Current build specs

Sabertooth X79
Intel I7 3690x
Hyper 212 Evo
16GB DDR3 1600
512GB Adata SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro
Asus 280x CuII
AX850 PSU

LCD 27" Min
Desk
Wireless card

Think thats it

Wowo wowo wowo, a 3690X for your wife for gaming? I'll go do surgery now and transform into a hot chick if you build me a similar "gaming" rig. ::)

Unless you seriously overclock that CPU (that 212 won't cut it) then it's a bad choice. You're better off buying a 4690K on stock clocks and you'll still beat that in gaming.

16GB is overkill, 8GB will be more than enough.

PSU is also overkill unless you intend to overclock it.

since you're looking for a 27" monitor, 1080p should be out of the question for you as 1440p is the way to go for 27" so you'll need to swap that 280X with a 290(cuz why not)

Yes this might be extra work cuz you don't have the CPU and board but you can sell yours easily and get the DC combo, hell I'll even buy them and ship them to buy if you'll give me that CPU :P

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »

Current build specs

Sabertooth X79
Intel I7 3690x
Hyper 212 Evo
16GB DDR3 1600
512GB Adata SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro
Asus 280x CuII
AX850 PSU

LCD 27" Min
Desk
Wireless card

Think thats it

Wowo wowo wowo, a 3690X for your wife for gaming? I'll go do surgery now and transform into a hot chick if you build me a similar "gaming" rig. ::)

Unless you seriously overclock that CPU (that 212 won't cut it) then it's a bad choice. You're better off buying a 4690K on stock clocks and you'll still beat that in gaming.

16GB is overkill, 8GB will be more than enough.

PSU is also overkill unless you intend to overclock it.

since you're looking for a 27" monitor, 1080p should be out of the question for you as 1440p is the way to go for 27" so you'll need to swap that 280X with a 290(cuz why not)

Yes this might be extra work cuz you don't have the CPU and board but you can sell yours easily and get the DC combo, hell I'll even buy them and ship them to buy if you'll give me that CPU :P

HAHA well you see I believe if you want to get your spouse into gaming get them a rig that gives them zero to complain about.

So we ordered her headset with BTC from newegg(so cool)
Talked to a awesome buddy at a really cool manufacturing company and BAM shes got 4x4gb 1866 on the way :)

Not selling the CPU or board going to stick with that platform and now all we need is-
Wireless card
Keyboard and Mouse
Kick ass LCD worse comes to worse she can steal the P278q from our bedroom (use it as a TV its got some cosmetic damage). but thinking of getting the samsung 4k screen with BTC from newegg.

The PSU is a great PSU being the AX850 reason I want her to have my old AX850 is just like my AX860i the fan is off 90% of the time and she cares more about noise than she cares about anything else.

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 07:24:25 AM »
Build is pretty much done but got upgraded a bit over what we were planning to start.

Was going to post this next part on another site where I won the BF Fury but sadly the site has removed their contest thread so I cannot.

Lets look at this as a compliment sandwich, good bad good.
Bitfenix Fury 750G

Good: The pins are locked in well and all excess plastic cleaned off, making for a very smooth snap in with motherboard, gpu, hdd's and what not.
Bad: This photo will sum up this bad, some of the Molex and Sata heat wrap is half assed and that is putting it nicely

Good:PCI Power sleeving is the best I have seen in a long time really top notch

Bad:The 24 pin looks botched sorry but cant say this is high quality even if I get it every company merges the two cables together on the side they could of done this on the psu side and cleaned up the 24 Pin side

Good: at least the botched wrap job is on the side you cannot see so your build still turns out awesome.

Conclusion with using the BF Fury, it does make a system look very nice but there are quality issues seen here and there.
It is also very easy to work with and all pins line up like a dream, making putting a system together very simple.
The fan in the PSU is dead silent and the custom art on it looks great.

Would I but the 750G, if the cables were cleaned up a bit more yes yes I would but not till then as that is its premium and its biggest fault.

So back to the rig

Removed giant side fan as it would not fit past the PNY 770 4GB

Sabertooth and Fury worked great together in this build very impressed overall.
Put windows 8.1 pro on it this weekend and its super fast to boot.
Waiting for the main ram kit to show up but for now its got 16gb 1066 so it runs at least :P
while gaming the CPU sat at 42c so the system cooling is more then enough for the 6 core.

more to follow soon

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal