Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: GTX 780, To RMA or not?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Mightyunit

• View Profile
GTX 780, To RMA or not?
« on: April 24, 2016, 08:58:15 PM »
I have an ASUS GTX 780 that may be having issues. Do you think there is any point in sending it in? Normally I would say yes but I hear from some people that dealing with ASUS can be a PITA, what do you think? Do you think they will send me back the same thing or something else? Thanks in advance!

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
Re: GTX 780, To RMA or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 09:02:43 PM »
Asus is very hit and miss.

The last few people I helped with RMAs went from HD280 to HD390 which was impressive for Asus.

I would start the rma and if you cannot get any help pm me and I will contact a old friend there to help you out.

The GTX 780 is still a damn nice card
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 09:02:43 PM »

Offline Mightyunit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 09:07:44 PM »
Thanks, that is a generous offer.

Online Bond007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 10:34:13 PM »
Definitely worth it. The could upgrade you to something newer (maybe 970?). But what do you mean by may be having issues?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:45:28 PM by Bond007 »
Desktop: Arc Midi R2, Z77-D3H, 3570K @ 4.1ghz undervolted with Zalman Optima Cooler, Vengeance 2x4gb @ 1866mhz, XFX R9 280X DD, Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB

Away from home light Gamer: Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, Vengeance 2x4gb, M500 240gb,

Offline Mightyunit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 05:20:52 PM »
Define you with it. The could upgrade you to something newer (maybe 970?). But what do you mean by may be having issues?

"Define you with it?"  Please rephrase that for me. Thank you.

The card was giving me intermittent artifacts and crashing.  Since my OP stopped working altogether. :(

Looking around the web it looks like many people have a crappy experience with ASUS RMA. I realize that chances are good that most all RMAs go well but IMO ASUS seems to have a poor rep. When I look at MSI RMA experiences (ie the Canadian RMA Experience thread at HWC) I see most all people have good ones. Kinda worried that I am going to get the shaft from ASUS. I know Soullessone21 you once helped me RMA an ASUS 7950 CUII card and the first one they sent was broken AND it wound up being delivered some where in Ontario and I am in Manitoba. Thanks only to Soullessone21 the situation was sorted out... I do not need some crap like ASUS sending me a lesser card or a broken one.

What do you guys think???

Online Bond007

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 07:48:36 PM »
"Define you with it?"  Please rephrase that for me. Thank you.

The card was giving me intermittent artifacts and crashing.  Since my OP stopped working altogether. :(

Looking around the web it looks like many people have a crappy experience with ASUS RMA. I realize that chances are good that most all RMAs go well but IMO ASUS seems to have a poor rep. When I look at MSI RMA experiences (ie the Canadian RMA Experience thread at HWC) I see most all people have good ones. Kinda worried that I am going to get the shaft from ASUS. I know Soullessone21 you once helped me RMA an ASUS 7950 CUII card and the first one they sent was broken AND it wound up being delivered some where in Ontario and I am in Manitoba. Thanks only to Soullessone21 the situation was sorted out... I do not need some crap like ASUS sending me a lesser card or a broken one.

What do you guys think???

Reworded. I love auto-correct.

If the card is dead it is worth nothing. If you RMA you will end up with a card that you can use, or sell. Even if it's a hassle its worth something in the end.
Desktop: Arc Midi R2, Z77-D3H, 3570K @ 4.1ghz undervolted with Zalman Optima Cooler, Vengeance 2x4gb @ 1866mhz, XFX R9 280X DD, Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB

Away from home light Gamer: Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, Vengeance 2x4gb, M500 240gb,

Offline Mightyunit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 09:41:02 PM »
here is a question that I think Soullessone21 can answer:

What does ASUS do when they find out that I was running SLI with another 780, an MSI GTX 780 Lightning? They will give me the shaft right? Or do they take the time to source another 780?

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 09:51:52 PM »
here is a question that I think Soullessone21 can answer:

What does ASUS do when they find out that I was running SLI with another 780, an MSI GTX 780 Lightning? They will give me the shaft right? Or do they take the time to source another 780?

The key is telling them the mostly honest truth as in you don't say it's slied with a different brand you say it's running with another of the same brand and model and when this gpu is removed you see the issues go away but with it in sli or alone it causes you issues. testing multiple drivers and beta drivers and in a amd and intel system with the same issues.

see mostly true haha

most times they will hunt around the warehouse which even in canada the warehouse is insane wish they let me take pictures when I worked at the markham location. they should have a 780 kicking around failing that tell them a upgrade is fine then sell it and get a used 780 and pocket the cash haha
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

Offline Mightyunit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 09:58:46 PM »
thanks but it sounds like a PITA.  :-\

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 08:02:21 AM »

PM me your address, the issue and the serial number of the card. I will deal with it as it's only one email for me to resolve aka no pita all PETER!(dumb joke peter is my middle name :P)

Offline GaK_45

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 09:20:36 AM »

Glad soul is going to help you out. For future endevours here is what you do when dealing with RMA depts
1) provide serial number and model number
2) provide TS'ing you did
3) never provide / divulge info they do not ask for

In your case. It would go like this "Hi my name is XXX. I have a ZZZ that is artifacting under loads. The s/n is ZZZ, model is RR. I've pulled the gpu and tried different slots, in a different motherboard. Still does it during GAMING. I have tried X, Y, Z games and all do it after N minutes with this GPU. Specifically it does ZZ (describe artificating). Then it crashes the system. I swapped in a known good (same GPU type eg 980 for 980) and it does not artifact in either rig, in any PCIe x16 slot,  nor does either rig crash with the known good GPU. I need an RMA number so I can send it to be replaced."

Bam. That is all. You've stated the problem, you have stated the std TS'ing steps that they will ask you to do. You have requested an RMA.  If they ask for more details dont complicate the issue with SLI or saying you used furmark, or anything else. Never mention other mfg'ers. Stick to the bare min facts.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal