Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: Home Server Solution Help!  (Read 665 times)

Online Arinoth

• Here I Am. Here I Remain
  • Admin
    • View Profile
Home Server Solution Help!
« on: July 29, 2016, 12:27:46 PM »
I am looking to upgrade or enhance how my home server is setup to maximum performance along with switching to the best RAID configuration based on my needs and what I have

The uses of the home server:
Backup storage for important documents or pictures (that are backed up to a small flash drive additionally)
TV Shows and Movies (storage and streaming to PCs or to Kodi and Xbone).
General storage for music and software (such as steam games backups).

Software it runs to do some of this
SABNZBD
Couch Potato
Sonaar
Emby (mainly to keep my media library of what's been watched synced)

I currently have the following hardware setup

**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor]
**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-H61M-USB3-B3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard]
**Memory** | [Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory]
**Storage** | [Intel 530 Series 180GB 2.5" Solid State Drive]
**Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive]
**Storage** | [Western Digital Red 6TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive]
**Storage** | [Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive]
**Storage** | [Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive]
**Case** | [BitFenix Shinobi XL (Black) ATX Full Tower Case]
**Power Supply** | [Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply]
** Raid Card** | [Intel RAID Controller Card SATA/SAS PCI-Ex8 SASUC8I]

The 2TB hard drive is connected to the motherboard through an older SASUC8I that last I looked cannot support drivers larger then 2-3TB.

Additionally, I am using Windows 2016 Server as the operating system on the ssd, running a non-redundant Storage Pool across the 4 storage drives (2TB, 2 4TB, and 1 6TB).

I've currently received 2 additional 4TB hard drives from GaK_45, prompting this thread and the real question of what best hardware or software raid should I configure to utilize the most drives as I have while actually having redundancy (for once).

Additionally wondering how easy or difficult it is to set up my own cloud storage so I (or my parents) can remotely access items from my sever.

If I missed anything or there are additional questions don't hesitate to ask and I'll try to answer them to the best of my abilities.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:30:45 PM by Arinoth »

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Home Server Solution Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 11:30:34 AM »
sounds like a great setup other then one thing... I recommend getting 4 4tb instead of your mix and match then running raid 0+1 and mirroring your stripes.

for question the last Media sharing with family that would be PLEX if you have not used it before here is the place to start PLEX Setup

PLEX is used by even receptionists at my work place to share movies and large CR4 files with their friends and family and they told me it was super easy to setup.

I have faith that this is the best option for you.

I think you should be able to get good cash for the 6tb almost enough or even possibly enough to cover 2 more WD Red 4TBs
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 11:30:34 AM »

Offline supaflyx3

• Commentator
  • Global Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 02:30:04 PM »
I use Plex to stream to my Chromecast and Xbox one and it's awesome! The app even allows casting to my xbone

Online Arinoth

• Here I Am. Here I Remain
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 10:13:06 PM »
Not to worried about streaming as running Emby with the Kodi plugin works great on my raspberry pi Kodi along with Xbone too.

I really hate the extra redundancy of Raid 1, lots of lost drive space for the perfect 1:1 backup. What about Raid 6? Also what would be a good/decent inexpensive raid card itself?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal