Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: Hoping for some help with some hard drive mounting.  (Read 682 times)

Offline Arinoth

• Here I Am. Here I Remain
  • Admin
    • View Profile
Hoping for some help with some hard drive mounting.
« on: July 28, 2017, 08:00:41 AM »
I have a used unknown model Thermaltake case that I am hoping to transition to be my new home server case as the current case I am using, the Shinobi XL, will be re-purposed as my gaming case once again when my EATX motherboard arrives from the Intel RE Deal.

The problem with the Thermaltake case is that there are no hard drive sleds left in it, I found it 'dumpster diving' aka university students moving out and had the case near the apartment garbage. The hard drive bays themselves are still there, but as they are larger than just a standard 3.5 " Hard Drive, I can't just put them in there. I was hoping someone may have some retail or DIY solutions they could share so I don't have to go out and either buy another EATX case or an ATX case that has 6+ 3.5 " HDD bays.

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Hoping for some help with some hard drive mounting.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 09:00:38 AM »
I have a used unknown model Thermaltake case that I am hoping to transition to be my new home server case as the current case I am using, the Shinobi XL, will be re-purposed as my gaming case once again when my EATX motherboard arrives from the Intel RE Deal.

The problem with the Thermaltake case is that there are no hard drive sleds left in it, I found it 'dumpster diving' aka university students moving out and had the case near the apartment garbage. The hard drive bays themselves are still there, but as they are larger than just a standard 3.5 " Hard Drive, I can't just put them in there. I was hoping someone may have some retail or DIY solutions they could share so I don't have to go out and either buy another EATX case or an ATX case that has 6+ 3.5 " HDD bays.

can you post some photos of the case here so we can see what we can find to help :)
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 18A7dGBpZWM1JSN8Zm4XPzY4SnQUop3L9r
Eth:0xd29ce054805239c93b27cbed98fc341fd0418a85

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 09:00:38 AM »

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 09:58:01 AM »
I'll try to do that this evening after work.

Offline Oelmuvun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 10:48:32 AM »
Are there enough 5.25" bays for a hotswap unit?
Also consider long screws and sections of rubber hose if the case came with that sort of isolation.
If you are looking for rails that bolt onto the sides of the drive and slide in, you might want to consider trying to fabricate some from plastic or wood. Metal it you have it and can work it.

Failing that, you might want to modify the case a bit with either parts from another case, or just move one side of the bay closer and drill some correctly spaced holes. I certainly have a habit of adding 3.5" bays using parts from other cases. :P

It all depends what you are working with and the tools you have on hand.

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 03:01:37 PM »
Here are the pictures:

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 04:21:20 PM »
what about some metal wood or plastic ? making a mount for each layer that you bolt the hdds into from the bottom and use say wood screws to hold them in on the sides?
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 09:16:11 AM »
So far searching on Ebay doesn't seem to kick back any results for Thermaltake hard drive sleds, at least not anything in the under 10$ range.

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 09:58:38 AM »
Wait a minute your case is a element g is it not.

You do not simply use sleds with the element g but you use custom screws of which I may have some. I shall hunt for you later

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal