Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: PC will randomly 'mostly' freeze on black screen while gaming.  (Read 679 times)

Offline Arinoth

• Here I Am. Here I Remain
  • Admin
    • View Profile
PC will randomly 'mostly' freeze on black screen while gaming.
« on: February 12, 2017, 11:16:52 AM »
I am stating to run out of tests to perform to troubleshoot specifically what could be wrong with my system. My computer will 'mostly' freeze on a black screen while I am playing a video game. Does not matter the game, Tales from the Borderlands, Batman the Telltale Series, Starcraft II, etc. I say 'mostly' freeze as my G15 will still report back status fed to it from MSI Afterburner and whatever game I am playing the audio will keep playing. Aside from that the computer itself is non-responsive and stays as a black screen until I reboot it. It will also happen at random, sometimes within 5 minutes of gaming, sometimes not for hours.
Here are the specs:
Processor Intel i7 4930k (Stock, Turbo boost enabled)
Motherboard MSI X79MA-GD45 (Bios is V3.8 )
Memory G.SKILL TridentX F3-2400C10Q-16GTX 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-2400
Storage Crucial MX200 1TB SSD
Video Card PNY GTX 980 XLR8 Pro OC (run at stock but with a more aggressive fan profile)
Power Supply - Corsair AX860 860W (I just installed it yesterday brand new to replace an aging Corsair 750W PSU)
Display Monitor Samsung LS27A850DS 27IN 2560 x 1440

Tests I have tried:
Memtes86 - Passed on all 4 passes
Prime95 - No issues here, temperatures do not exceed 70C
Furmark Burntest - Temperatures do not exceed 70C

I'm not sure what other tests to try, this didn't start 'happening' until after one of the larger Windows 10 updates late in fall 2016. I have even performed a fresh install of a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft and still will cause this issue.

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
Re: PC will randomly 'mostly' freeze on black screen while gaming.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 11:35:11 AM »
Hmm that does seem odd on your psu have your tried moving the gpu to another 2 ports?

Also grab your gfs gpu and throw it in. Try gaming for a few hours see if the issue still happens.

I have had the same issue with my 1070 when I swapped from a 780 ti to it but you said you reloaded so drivers don't seem to be whet it could be.

Also run a backup and see if your ssd has a firmware update (always backup first)

I'll see what else I can think of
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 11:35:11 AM »

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »
Hmm that does seem odd on your psu have your tried moving the gpu to another 2 ports?

Also grab your gfs gpu and throw it in. Try gaming for a few hours see if the issue still happens.

I have had the same issue with my 1070 when I swapped from a 780 ti to it but you said you reloaded so drivers don't seem to be whet it could be.

Also run a backup and see if your ssd has a firmware update (always backup first)

I'll see what else I can think of

I've replaced the PSU entirely, happens on the older Corsair 750W and still on this brand new (from Intel RE a year ago) Corsairs 860W.

I may or may not do the GF GPU thing as her case is a PITA to take anything in and out of it.

Fresh install with latest drivers and prior to fresh install drive sweeped the drivers and installed latest.

Firmware is latest on the SSD too, happened before and after the update.

Offline Bond007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 05:13:17 PM »
Sounds like you have tried all the main areas.

Have you tried using a different video output (dp/hdmi/etc)?
Desktop: Arc Midi R2, Z77-D3H, 3570K @ 4.1ghz undervolted with Zalman Optima Cooler, Vengeance 2x4gb @ 1866mhz, XFX R9 280X DD, Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB

Away from home light Gamer: Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, Vengeance 2x4gb, M500 240gb,

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 08:22:20 PM »
I have not, Primary display is on DVI and secondary is HDMI to DVI.

I am going to be pulling it out and contacting PNY for an RMA. In the meantime, Gimpy, my backup MSI GTX 560 Ti with one busted fan so I have two RAM fans zipped tied to it will be going in as temp GPU and to see if it's isolated to the GTX 990.

As I know people will ask, here is a picture of Gimpy:

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 08:52:01 PM »
Looking like the 980 is dying and so is Gimpy. I was able to borrow a card from someone and showed no problems whatsoever in an evening of gaming. Usually it would freeze at least once, if not a few times. Same Feb 14th driver, same game.

Offline Bond007

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 12:22:14 AM »
Looking like the 980 is dying and so is Gimpy. I was able to borrow a card from someone and showed no problems whatsoever in an evening of gaming. Usually it would freeze at least once, if not a few times. Same Feb 14th driver, same game.

Interesting...and random that gimpy would have the same issue. Was it locking up the same way as the 980?
Desktop: Arc Midi R2, Z77-D3H, 3570K @ 4.1ghz undervolted with Zalman Optima Cooler, Vengeance 2x4gb @ 1866mhz, XFX R9 280X DD, Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB

Away from home light Gamer: Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, Vengeance 2x4gb, M500 240gb,

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 06:22:13 AM »
Interesting...and random that gimpy would have the same issue. Was it locking up the same way as the 980?

The exact same way, yes, but I had not used the old card in nearly 2 years too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal