Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: Two motherboard questions involving the Asus H81T  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Arinoth

• Here I Am. Here I Remain
  • Admin
    • View Profile
Two motherboard questions involving the Asus H81T
« on: February 19, 2016, 11:02:55 AM »
Now that more parts have arrived from eBay again I'm back on track with my Sega Genesis Mark II build. This has lead to me come up with two questions that I was hoping some people may have answers to or point me in the right direction.

1) Where or how to enable always on USB Port?
I know at some point motherboard companies started to introduce charging ports on motherboards several years ago, but since then it seems to have dropped off entirely. I know some motherboards have EUP, I'm just not sure exactly how to enable this specifically for ASUS or if it's usually a specific internal or external usb port.
Can I use the AI Charger suite Asus has to do this too? I need a 5V constant voltage source (even when the pc is off but plugged into a power outlet) and I'd like to avoid having a second power adapter coming out of the case.

2) Power specs for the motherboard LED/Power Button?
For the power LED I've measured it to be 5.1V I just was wondering if anyone knew what sort of current draw it'll supply. I will most likely use a voltage divider circuit to drop the voltage down below 5V, in which that'll properly protect my digital input port.
This goes also in part with the power button supply to. If anyone knows typically want current draw it can supply, I could use that as my arduino power source as I plan to relay the on/off power connection duty to the arduino through some circuitry.

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Two motherboard questions involving the Asus H81T
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 11:53:31 AM »
I'm hoping my Plan B question is a bit less of a niche question then my prior ones. Does anyone off hand know the standard barrel size for say a laptop AC-DC charger? I can always use a splitter from the 129 line to feed 19 to the mobo and 19V to the arduino leaving me still with one power cable.

update: Hmm not sure if my Plan B will work as the power brick I have supplies more power then the Arduino would like to happily handle. I suppose there is always a voltage divider I could for the line going to the Arduino. Arduino only likes a maximum of 16V...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:58:31 AM by Arinoth »

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 11:53:31 AM »

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 12:03:46 PM »
option 1 I came across something very odd when searching the Asus forum. multiple users claim that installing the Ai Suite has the ability to turn on always on usb or USB Charge always on and push it to the UEFI bios.

Do you mind testing that and giving us some screen shots of your bios as that is not a common board so without seeing the advanced usb bios controls and settings there is very little I can offer to help.

For the Front port power that is a odd one as again without using a volt/amp meter on the exact board with your Power supply I cannot confirm. I almost picked up that exact board last weekend to test with you but it sold out before I got there.
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 18A7dGBpZWM1JSN8Zm4XPzY4SnQUop3L9r
Eth:0xd29ce054805239c93b27cbed98fc341fd0418a85

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 10:42:01 AM »
For some reason the BIOS is not liking my only FAT32 available flash drive I've taken some pictures of various parts of the bios to see if it may help out.

Also, I have tried AI Suite USB Charger+, not only does it show a port non-existant on this motherboard, it does not recognize the Arduino plugged into it as a valid device, so that's off the table.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:48:22 AM by Soullessone21 »

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 11:26:54 AM »
Stupid question but you have the newest bios version right? also on your board is there any jumpers by the USB sockets?
Reason I ask about the jumpers is the only 2 asus boards I have here have a small 6 pin jumper that the top says (USB AC Power 2/3) and the one under it says (USB Charge 1/2)
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 11:29:15 AM »
I updated the BIOS a few days ago. I can check to see if there are any jumpers and report back when I have more information.

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 11:29:58 AM »
I updated the BIOS a few days ago. I can check to see if there are any jumpers and report back when I have more information.

sounds good, know its a long shot but noticed it when I was posting some Asus boards fs and working on the wifes rig.

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 06:45:31 PM »
I looked, even removed the mini-SSD, found nothing that isn't accounted for in the manual.

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 06:47:38 PM »
I looked, even removed the mini-SSD, found nothing that isn't accounted for in the manual.

Damn was worth a shot at least. Are you just trying to get power to the device at all times? What about using something like a 10000mah better phone backup to keep a constant charge to the device ?

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 09:32:13 PM »
I honestly hadn't thought of that. That would work, I would just have to run the math to see how long the Arduino could run on a battery in the odd off chance to Sega isn't run for x amount of days or weeks, etc.

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 06:00:38 AM »
I honestly hadn't thought of that. That would work, I would just have to run the math to see how long the Arduino could run on a battery in the odd off chance to Sega isn't run for x amount of days or weeks, etc.

Figure the math out for sure as I have a few different mini battery backups ranging from 3600mah all the way to 15000mah.

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 06:31:00 AM »
Figure the math out for sure as I have a few different mini battery backups ranging from 3600mah all the way to 15000mah.

I'm hoping or assuming that they have their own charging circuit, aka they are stand alone plug in and know when the battery is full as to not constantly overcharge it?

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 06:40:24 AM »
I'm hoping or assuming that they have their own charging circuit, aka they are stand alone plug in and know when the battery is full as to not constantly overcharge it?

there are lots of units just like that. the small 3000mah units I use have both a micro usb charger and a standard usb device charge where they shut off the charging feature when the battery is full or the device is full

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 08:51:09 AM »
According to my online research, the Due will idle at around 50mA if not put into standby or sleep mode. It is possible to do this, just would require extra code to do this.
50mA so a 3000mAH battery would yield approximately 60 hours of idling. If I can cut the standby or sleep mode current draw by at least half that'll give me 120 hours of 'standby'.

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 07:33:17 PM »
Well I believe I have figured out how to throw the Arduino Due into a low power wait mode and return from it using an interrupt. I just need to see if I have a spare USB cable that I can splice open to measure the current draw difference to see if it actually uses less power or not.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal