Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: Please Help  (Read 1445 times)

Offline AznAznAzn111

• View Profile
Please Help
« on: April 12, 2014, 06:52:03 PM »
I have an amd fx 8350
Msi 660 Twin Frozr OC
I want to make a custom loop for this but I just do not know where to start.
What is the maintenance I would be looking at?
What are the components that I would need and what are their specific functions?
Please help and thank you in the future and present regards

Offline trodas

• Media/News
  • Just one crazy computer geek :)
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
Re: Please Help
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 04:01:04 AM »
By "custom loop" you mean watercooling the CPU and GPU? If so, then first thing you need to look out is a GPU wateblock, that fit your MSI GTX 660 OC card. Do she have the standard card design, or you need something special? That is the first question.

Next one is CPU - fortunately, there is plenty of AM3+ socket waterblocks.

Then you need at least two, if not there 120mm fans rad (you need to cool the water and remove the heat, that is what this is for), pump (you need to be sure the fluid circulate well) and reservoar (you need to fill the loop somehow and check that the pump is well is flooded at all times). All are quite standard, nothing that could be screwed up there, except for a leak ;) Is this your first watercooling attempt?

Then check out this lowfat work:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/case-mods-worklog-gallery/61891-cms83x-mk3-stacker.html

This is how watercooling looks, when well-done. You also need some destiled watter and some aditives for preventing corosion and also for example lowering the water resistance in the loop. The flow is the key. The better the flow is, the lower temps you get.
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 04:01:04 AM »

Offline Bond007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 04:19:42 AM »
I have no experience in WC, so I will leave details to someone else. IMO fx CPU can use WC since they pump out a ton of heat. Personally I wouldn't bother with WC a gtx 660 though. Did you consider an AIO water cooler for just the CPU?  Something like a kraken x60 or corsair  h100i would get you the majority of the gains of a custom loop without the hassle (unless you enjoy that type of work).
Desktop: Arc Midi R2, Z77-D3H, 3570K @ 4.1ghz undervolted with Zalman Optima Cooler, Vengeance 2x4gb @ 1866mhz, XFX R9 280X DD, Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB

Away from home light Gamer: Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, Vengeance 2x4gb, M500 240gb,

Offline khangdan1992

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 02:53:39 AM »
I have no experience in WC, so I will leave details to someone else. IMO fx CPU can use WC since they pump out a ton of heat. Personally I wouldn't bother with WC a gtx 660 though. Did you consider an AIO water cooler for just the CPU?  Something like a kraken x60 or corsair  h100i would get you the majority of the gains of a custom loop without the hassle (unless you enjoy that type of work).

Yes you don't need WC for your GTX 660, temperature isn't the problem for this card and you cannot overclock it too much.

If I must choose one between  a kraken x60 and a corsair  h100i. I prefer the Kraken x60, better design I think !

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 12:00:31 AM »
I have watercooled lesser gpus using something like this http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/xsrahipeungp.html and http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/enbmfocobgar.html for the vram.

I do though recommend staying with a all in one cooler to start as it is much simpler.

With ocing AMD chips its best to just push the multiplier up by one or 2 multiples at a time until it becomes unstable then raising the voltage till you get the speed your looking for.

hope that helps
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal