Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: List of issues windows 8.1 gives?  (Read 1669 times)

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
List of issues windows 8.1 gives?
« on: November 21, 2013, 07:15:00 AM »
Many people complained all over other forums that windows 8.1 borked their computer.

So I want to hear from those who have had issues with it and if they were able to fix said issues and from those who just gave up or had no problems and are rocking the 8.1

I have multiple computers and work to much so I sadly have not had time to hit up the upgrade yet but plan to on my laptop this weekend, is there anything I should expect?
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

Offline Arinoth

• Here I Am. Here I Remain
  • Admin
    • View Profile
Re: List of issues windows 8.1 gives?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:33:21 AM »
I've been using Windows 8.1 for a while now and I don't have any complaints with it. Actually like it over Windows 8, and find myself trying to do some of the shortcuts in Windows 7 half the time, lol.

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:33:21 AM »

Offline supaflyx3

• Commentator
  • Global Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 03:41:15 PM »
My only gripe with Windows 8.1 is that on my previous install, installing 8.1 over 8 borked updates completely so I had to reinstall fresh from 8.1. Other than that I have no complaints, if the FB app was updated a bit so it wasnt slower than the website that would be great too.

Offline Tzetsin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »
I "upgraded" my win 8 tablet the other night.  It ended up flipping my screen upside down, but when i flipped it, the touch was mirrored...  bit hard to work with that way.

It was an issue with the intel video driver and once I had it updated everything seemed fine again.

Windows 8.1 is a joke though.   It was supposed to give you back a "start" button.  and it DID.  Theres a "START" button, that takes you right to windows metro....  People wanted the function and look of the start button, not the flippin start button...  Way to go microsoft.

Other than the stupid start button, which now takes up a good portion of my taskbar space for no effin reason (tablets arent so big, and i run my task bar vertically, not the normal horizontaly) When I installed it I forgot to go offline first, so it FORCED me to log in with a hotmail account.  Now, I don't know about you guys, but hotmail to me is something a 13 year old would use, or a 48 year old woman that upgraded from AOL.  Its not something I want to associate with AT ALL.  I absolutely do not want my "life" sitting there for microsoft to peruse whenever their bots feel like it.

It also turned on Bing search,  which sends all your local search queries to microsoft so that they can upload "relevent" ads to my "start" menu because ads are exactly what I want my operating system showing me, and I absolutely want microsoft to be watching what I search for on my personal computer right...

It also forced "skydrive" to turn on and automatically sync my documents folder.  Because not only do I "want" microsoft to look at all my shit, but I want them to HAVE ACCESS TO IT TOO!   

It also set my default save location to skydrive... So they can have access to every thing I have in the future too.

What has windows 8.1 done for me that I care about?  Absolutely nothing at all.  I think 8.1 is a big security risk and a MASSIVE intrusive privacy smash by microsoft. 

Microsoft has decided that Apples horrible business model and Googles policy of collecting data on EVERYTHING would be a good model for them.  And I am very VERY disturbed by this.

Offline Arinoth

• Here I Am. Here I Remain
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 06:57:10 PM »
I just use a lot of the shortcuts these days.

Windows + C brings up the Charms menu (which contains shutdown, sleep, project, other stuff too)
Windows + R brings up the run command
Windows  + F brings up the file search, which defaults to search files, but you can change it for settings or everywhere.

Offline headsh0t

• Commentator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 01:37:17 PM »
Tried updating to 8.1 and install gets stuck at 60 or 80%, cant remember which one. Tried to reboot and gets stuck in a boot loop that I was finally able to get out of. Never again.

Offline Tzetsin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 09:28:45 PM »
I "upgraded" my win 8 tablet the other night.  It ended up flipping my screen upside down, but when i flipped it, the touch was mirrored...  bit hard to work with that way.

It was an issue with the intel video driver and once I had it updated everything seemed fine again.

Windows 8.1 is a joke though.   It was supposed to give you back a "start" button.  and it DID.  Theres a "START" button, that takes you right to windows metro....  People wanted the function and look of the start button, not the flippin start button...  Way to go microsoft.

Other than the stupid start button, which now takes up a good portion of my taskbar space for no effin reason (tablets arent so big, and i run my task bar vertically, not the normal horizontaly) When I installed it I forgot to go offline first, so it FORCED me to log in with a hotmail account.  Now, I don't know about you guys, but hotmail to me is something a 13 year old would use, or a 48 year old woman that upgraded from AOL.  Its not something I want to associate with AT ALL.  I absolutely do not want my "life" sitting there for microsoft to peruse whenever their bots feel like it.

It also turned on Bing search,  which sends all your local search queries to microsoft so that they can upload "relevent" ads to my "start" menu because ads are exactly what I want my operating system showing me, and I absolutely want microsoft to be watching what I search for on my personal computer right...

It also forced "skydrive" to turn on and automatically sync my documents folder.  Because not only do I "want" microsoft to look at all my shit, but I want them to HAVE ACCESS TO IT TOO!   

It also set my default save location to skydrive... So they can have access to every thing I have in the future too.

What has windows 8.1 done for me that I care about?  Absolutely nothing at all.  I think 8.1 is a big security risk and a MASSIVE intrusive privacy smash by microsoft. 

Microsoft has decided that Apples horrible business model and Googles policy of collecting data on EVERYTHING would be a good model for them.  And I am very VERY disturbed by this.

Oh, I want to add something that I didn't notice until i tried to open an application offline last night.  You know IE's "smart screen filter"  The one that checks your websites to make sure they aren't malicious?  Yeah, now it checks all your local programs too, and if your not online it throws a splash screen up that says something like " smart screen filter is not online and cant check your application, are you sure you want to continue?"  Yeah... now windows tells microsoft what programs you're using and how often.  How not cool MS, how not cool at all.

I'm pretty sad at the state of windows today.  Everything you see now exists simply to extract your data...  I'm no  linux fan, not at all... but its looking like thats the only way you're going to have a pc that isn't sending your life to some corporation.

Offline trodas

• Media/News
  • Just one crazy computer geek :)
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 05:14:33 AM »
Luckily, on Windows 2000 SP4, I did not have such problems. I could update to WinXP, but since the SP2, the Windows XP broke their own rules - blocking M$ servers in hosts file is not working since SP2.

Therefore the "you block - and we still access" M$ way somewhat preventing me from considering OS upgrade (also my HW won't run even Win7 at decent speed). Hearing about this massive privacy attack (ads in operation system? you gotta be kidding me...) make me consider that higher windows machine should not be used for any real work, only for gaming.

For people, what need only access internet, email and screwtube on it, I would recommend and install linux. Almost any distribution are better (less resource hungry, more configuration, more security) that current windows.
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal