Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: Windows 10 (Horror/ Success) Stories  (Read 7498 times)

Offline trodas

• Media/News
  • Just one crazy computer geek :)
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
Re: Windows 10 (Horror/ Success) Stories
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 04:44:43 AM »
Win 10 does not have any appeal to me, however it is good to note that AMD mentioned first two DX12 games: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided a Ashes of the Singularity.

Deus Ex is made on the Dawn Engine and will support the hair extension TressFX 3.0 (hopefully it will be faster that the GameWorks nVidia code in Witcher, witch works as lead foot crunching the framerate) and more DX12 improvements will be announced later.
(IMHO as long, as the game still work in DX11, we hardly can expect major improvements, but I would *love* to be proved wrong there - we see on Xmass 2015 or in spring 2016)

Ashes of the Singularity works on Nitrous Engine (say hello to Star Swarm). It use MT Command Buffer Recording and also "more to come" (from the DX12 pool of features, of course) :) No release date yet, but Oxide Games is thinking (from the gameinformer sources, tough) that there will be some "early access" possible during summer (yep, this summer) and relase date is targeted for Xmass (of course).

If there are compeling (read - speed) reasons why move my gaming PC to Win 10, well... I might consider them. Bun there is nothing now, no patch for any game to make it faster on DX12, so...

Just promises did not quite cut it for me  ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:51:57 AM by trodas »
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway

Offline StaticFX

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 06:46:22 AM »
I had failure after failure using the normal update... after digging around I found an update fixit tool which repaired some previous updates, then I used the Media Creation Tool - updated without issue (took a good 1/2 hour). First boot after was screwy (taskbar buttons were off, overlapping) things acted funny. Rebooted again and those were all gone.

Besides cortana crashing/resetting a few times... and BF4 not starting once. Its been great

Note: AMD Released a new driver yesterday 15.7.1 (I think nVidia did too)

Cortana is fun (Already hands down better than siri) - once you enable the "Hey Cortana" its even better.
One oddity with that is that a guy on twitter (Jason Evangelho @Killyourfm) posted a quick video... he only has to say "Cortana" not "Hey Cortana" any one know how to do that? :)

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 06:46:22 AM »

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 10:11:03 AM »
Not me, but on the lighter note, talking about Siri makes me remember... this:

http://youtu.be/heVHuz1rq6k?t=1m47s
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway

Offline Arinoth

• Here I Am. Here I Remain
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 06:15:42 AM »
I had failure after failure using the normal update... after digging around I found an update fixit tool which repaired some previous updates, then I used the Media Creation Tool - updated without issue (took a good 1/2 hour). First boot after was screwy (taskbar buttons were off, overlapping) things acted funny. Rebooted again and those were all gone.

Besides cortana crashing/resetting a few times... and BF4 not starting once. Its been great

Note: AMD Released a new driver yesterday 15.7.1 (I think nVidia did too)

Cortana is fun (Already hands down better than siri) - once you enable the "Hey Cortana" its even better.
One oddity with that is that a guy on twitter (Jason Evangelho @Killyourfm) posted a quick video... he only has to say "Cortana" not "Hey Cortana" any one know how to do that? :)

I thought I originally read in Canada we weren't getting Cortana at least, or did that somehow or magically change?

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 06:40:12 AM »
I thought I originally read in Canada we weren't getting Cortana at least, or did that somehow or magically change?

Your just crazy Sam... go back to bed and come back when you become sane again
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 18A7dGBpZWM1JSN8Zm4XPzY4SnQUop3L9r
Eth:0xd29ce054805239c93b27cbed98fc341fd0418a85

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 09:58:09 AM »
I kept getting the something happened before the update would even load up to the first page.

Found this solution on reddit now have windows 10 on all my systems issue free :D

I was seeing the Something happened 0x80070002 - 0x20016" error (as per image below) when running the media creation tool as well. What worked for me was the following fix from Reddit. I was having to run the tool as I hadn't recieved a notification to reserve a copy and it wasn't showing up in Windows Update until the below change in the registry.

Click on Start, search for regedit.

With regedit open, proceed to the following path. Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade

Right click on the right side window and go to New -> DWORD (32-bit) value

Rename the new value to "AllowOSUpgrade" without the " quotations and make sure it is exactly the same as it is case sensitive.

Double click on the newly created value AllowOSUpgrade and change the value to 1 with hexidecimal base.

Close regedit and run Windows Update again. Windows 10 should pop up and you can then download it.
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 06:28:37 AM »
Well so far for me it's more of Horror stories then success stories.

I have a newer SSD, it's about 1TB that I wanted to install Win 10 from the ISO one. So I go ahead, wait like 10 minutes for the damn windows installer to 'boot up', which by the way does not seem to properly be supported with my BIOS as none of the traditional Windows splash loading screen can really be seen when that's going.

I then go ahead and install it, go out, come back to find out that when it tried to restart I got the error of unmountable boot volume. Well that's just peachy, maybe I can try to re-format and re-install Windows. Nope, the damn partitions are locked now. I wanted to see if it was the ISO so I took my old SSD, and well successfully installed and loaded Win 10. Hmm...maybe if I clone the drives? I went ahead and cloned them, only to get the new error of AHCI even though both drives are set to AHCI.

Maybe it's the bios, took over 2 hours to get the damn bios to update itself, since the bios MSI provides on their website isn't a direct copy over to flash drive to install it from the BIOS GUI. With that done I was able to re-format and attempt to re-install Win 10 on the newer/bigger SSD, only to get the same unmountable boot volume error and the locked partitions. Now I'm going to be cloning it again, if only to unlock the damn drive, then going to MANUALLY format it to GPT and see if that fixes the problem. Not sure if it's MS having issues installing on larger SSDs or this SSD line specifically having not been properly tested on Win 10 ISO install. Either way I've waste 2+ days on this crap...not impressed MS, not impressed one bit.

Offline Inik

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 07:16:18 AM »
It was a success story on my side :) I have the HTPC to update still!

Did you succeed Ari?

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 08:28:28 AM »
It was a success story on my side :) I have the HTPC to update still!

Did you succeed Ari?

I believe his issues were a doa ssd

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2015, 10:05:52 AM »
Grab another one or a simple old-good HDD and see, if things go well then.

Unless you are plan to run benchmarks like PCMark 05 / Vantage and have high score in them - you should be okay :) Or maybe Soul can borrow you some older SSD to test? Hopefully the SSD will be under warranty, or it is not?

Offline Arinoth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 06:22:03 AM »
Yeah seeming like the 1 TB SSD is DOA, or partially DOA as it'll be formatted and 'was' working as a surrogate SSD for say my steam games until it ran into a problem. Blue screened with an AHCI issue, rebooted the PC and once steam was loading up it would blue screen again with the same AHCI issue. Yanked it out and Win 10 runs great on my old SSD with steam installed to it. the 1 TB SSD is now sitting on my desk being stared at by myself.

Supposed a partially DOA SSD won't install or like any form of Windows install, who knew?

Offline LeonBelmont

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 04:09:52 PM »
Not sure if its a bug or not, but the latest update on windows 10 for me completely removed my desktop and the icons on my taskbar. I now have to navigate my computer completely through the start menu/xbox looking start screen that I hated with a passion from windows 8.

Offline LPfan4ever

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:31:42 PM by LPfan4ever »

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2015, 05:32:02 PM »
Haha you beat me to the punch had a vp do that on her home computer was funny hearing her freak the fuck out haha

Offline LeonBelmont

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 05:57:23 PM »
not sure why it went into tablet mode was that way when I logged on even reset pc, thought it was a glitch that it defaulted that way but didn't even know there was  an option for that, was pissing me off for a while seeing I hate everything being full screen.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal