Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: Gaming on a Budget (special thanks to Soullessone21)  (Read 1322 times)

Offline supaflyx3

• Commentator
  • Global Mod
    • View Profile
Gaming on a Budget (special thanks to Soullessone21)
« on: October 14, 2016, 06:18:26 PM »
First I want to start off by saying FUCK DELL. This case has the worst design I have ever encountered and now I will refuse to work on anyone elses dell machines lol. Anyways, John (Soullessone21) told me he had a pc I could have, with some pretty good specs. (Intel Xeon W3565 quadcore, with 12gb of ram, 250gb Samsung 850 pro, 500gb SSHD and a GTX 570). This ran my games no problem, but with battlefield 1 coming out, and the fact that I've had a 280x laying around for a few months I needed to upgrade :) Excuse the crappy pictures, I lent my mother my good camera indefinitely so I have to use my Oneplus 3's not so great camera.

Here is how I received the tower.

Now in order to upgrade to my 280X, i had to replace the untrustworthy dell 500W OEM PSU. I searched for used power supplies for a couple weeks but they're all over priced so I just spent the $100 on a brand new CX650M to be safe.

Now this is where things started to get annoying, disassembly. First, removing the GTX570. It took me a solid 15 minutes to figure out how to release the latch that holds down the pci slots, and almost broke it in the process lol.

but.. Success!!

And now removing the PSU. I didn't take pictures of this mainly because I was very annoyed, and steaming with anger and hatred for dell lol. I went out and bought a standard ratcheting multi bit screw driver to do this, because I got rid of my tools about a year ago. Turns out, Dell cable managed everything under the mobo. And the back panel doesnt come off!. And in order to remove the motherboard, you first have to remove this 2x120mm fan cage in the front of the case which requires an insanely long screw driver. WHich I do not have! So what do I do? Grab my work knife and hack the cables off the psu (sorry John) and ripped the psu out, out of anger lol. Turns out it's a modular PSU and I could have just unplugged it, doh! The 8 pin CPU & Sata cables from that PSU still remain in the case today... Anyways, pictures of my hack job of a psu install.

And finally, I had to make some modifications to the hard drive placements as I had to remove one of the sleds to fit the PCI-E cables coming out of the GPU.

Excuse the lack of cable management, the case is tiny and I only had 2 hours to do this and I spent about 1.5 of that cursing dell lol. Surprisingly everything worked first boot even though I did the cardinal sin of putting the side panel back on before testing heh. Stay tuned for many more updates!

Offline Bond007

• View Profile
Re: Gaming on a Budget (special thanks to Soullessone21)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 06:39:24 PM »
Looks like the only thing considered when designing the case was getting the PC installed in a specific order. A shame the old psu was....sacrificed.

Nice job getting the 280x in there. Are there some case fans? My only concern would be the lack of case airflow with long term use and 280x heat.

Keep us posted!
Desktop: Arc Midi R2, Z77-D3H, 3570K @ 4.1ghz undervolted with Zalman Optima Cooler, Vengeance 2x4gb @ 1866mhz, XFX R9 280X DD, Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB

Away from home light Gamer: Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, Vengeance 2x4gb, M500 240gb,

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 06:39:24 PM »

Offline supaflyx3

• Commentator
  • Global Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 06:48:25 PM »
CPU idles around 55 with the GPU at full load..so not great lol. I'll need to get a standard ATX motherboard and case to solve that, it only has the 2 intake fans. The CPU heatsink doesn't even have a fan haha

Offline Arinoth

• Here I Am. Here I Remain
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 11:24:19 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of Dell cases. At work I've had to remove two pieces inside of it to get a graphics card to fit as if the external power for the graphics card isn't at 90 Degrees there isn't any space in the case for it to fit.

Offline supaflyx3

• Commentator
  • Global Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 07:49:34 AM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of Dell cases. At work I've had to remove two pieces inside of it to get a graphics card to fit as if the external power for the graphics card isn't at 90 Degrees there isn't any space in the case for it to fit.

Yup, that was my problem. The drive sled is directly over the pci-e power for my 280x, thought I had to dremel out the sled but turns out it's removable for that exact reason heh.

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 10:23:13 AM »
I'll see if I have a spare Dell hdd caddy kicking around and send it your way so that ssd doesn't need to be zapped down :)

Rig looks good if I can find some fans that clip into those custom Dell headers I'll send them to :)
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

Offline Oelmuvun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 10:54:28 AM »
IDK about that specific case, but in the past dell's 1x4 pin header fans were regular PWM with a different connector. You should be able to crimp a new connector to the fan, make an adapter cable for regular fans, or just cut and splice the ends.
perhaps you can talk someone with crimping tools into helping you?

Offline supaflyx3

• Commentator
  • Global Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 02:09:39 PM »
I'll see if I have a spare Dell hdd caddy kicking around and send it your way so that ssd doesn't need to be zapped down :)

Rig looks good if I can find some fans that clip into those custom Dell headers I'll send them to :)

No need :) it works as is, and where would I even put a caddy? ::P there's no space haha, im probably going to buy a 5.25" to 2x 3.5" adapter for hard drives.

Offline supaflyx3

• Commentator
  • Global Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 02:10:48 PM »
IDK about that specific case, but in the past dell's 1x4 pin header fans were regular PWM with a different connector. You should be able to crimp a new connector to the fan, make an adapter cable for regular fans, or just cut and splice the ends.
perhaps you can talk someone with crimping tools into helping you?

There's adapters on alibaba and the likes if I want em, there's no where to mount fans anyways :P

Offline yzfraven

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 02:56:13 PM »
To bad you did not have spare case, could take hardware out and put it in a case with good air flow.
MSI Z97 Gaming 5, 4770K @4.2GHz,CM Nepton 280L,HyperX 16GB ,Kingston V300 series 240GB SSD ,WD 750GB, MSI Radeon R9 380 4GD5T OC. Evga SuperNOVA 750 B2. NZXT Source 530, V243H LCD

Offline Oelmuvun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 11:14:47 PM »
there's no where to mount fans anyways :P
That does not sound like a modder talking.
Make that case yours!

Offline Bond007

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 11:30:20 PM »
There's adapters on alibaba and the likes if I want em, there's no where to mount fans anyways :P

It looks like spots to mount 2xfans near the I/O area. Probably 80 or 92mm?
Desktop: Arc Midi R2, Z77-D3H, 3570K @ 4.1ghz undervolted with Zalman Optima Cooler, Vengeance 2x4gb @ 1866mhz, XFX R9 280X DD, Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB

Away from home light Gamer: Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, Vengeance 2x4gb, M500 240gb,

Offline supaflyx3

• Commentator
  • Global Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 01:22:21 PM »

Got a desk... Finally. Just in time for BF1, keyboard is K65 RGB and mouse is a G500s. Monitor is some 27" ASUS monitor that John sold me almost a year ago that I've been using as a TV.

Offline yzfraven

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 08:17:36 PM »
Looks good supafly..
MSI Z97 Gaming 5, 4770K @4.2GHz,CM Nepton 280L,HyperX 16GB ,Kingston V300 series 240GB SSD ,WD 750GB, MSI Radeon R9 380 4GD5T OC. Evga SuperNOVA 750 B2. NZXT Source 530, V243H LCD

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal