Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: Suggestions for mid power QUIET gaming PC  (Read 3229 times)

Offline trodas

• Media/News
  • Just one crazy computer geek :)
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
Suggestions for mid power QUIET gaming PC
« on: November 06, 2015, 07:00:10 AM »
I have a quick (yet tricky) question: what mainboard & coolers do you guys think, that will be good for me, when I want to build this:

- around 3.8 - 4GHz 4core (no HT for lower TDP) Intel machine with the Haswell-E core (22nm) for lowest TDP
- Win7 gaming only, at first GTX 960, later perhaps Nano
- PSU eVGA 850W Supernova G2 (good experience and ripple-free voltage & quiet operation - cannot heat it = good)
- 8G of nice fast DDR3 memory to get the power need
- M.2 SSD onboard
- VERY QUIET operation required (therefore modification of GPU cooling to be done with 2x 120mm Noiseblocker 1000 RPM fans - just need a giant heatsinks for this :) )

The aim is to build a QUIET gaming system. So I need a CPU, that could be cooled with unhearable from 1,5m cooling solution. Either hi-end Noctua (NH-C14S) or - if it will be more silent - some AIO cooling solution?
There is no other requirments. Just decent power and quier operation. That is all.

I probably ask some overclockers for second hand CPU, that is not a good clocker, BUT it can run on lowest voltage settings stable at the 3.,8 - 4GHz clock (turbo off - or all the time on at the max clock).

To save space and cables, M.2 SSD will be used for OS/need apps, for rest 1T WB Black. PSU is determined, case will be Phanteks Enthoo Pro white.

For the GTX 960 I would like a seriously overpowered heatsink (or AIO?), that let me install 2x Noiseblocker 120mm fans. I cannot hear them at 1000rpm in case, rest there case fans will be Noiseblockers 750rpm ones & the massive Phanteks Enthoo Pro intake fan. That it is. But dunno what GPU cooler is to choose from...?

Suggestions welcome.

I'm inclined to think, that a 22nm i7-4790K might be with 88W TDP a good idea... but since I did not need the HyperThreading (4 cores, 8 threads) and the IGP, then I wonder, if I can get lower TDP CPU with similar CPU power, capable or running at 4GHz w/o too much voltage?

Less voltage = lesser TDP = quietier operation.

Could someone suggest a CPU, that I can cool at low RPM on CPU fan (say 750 to 1000 RPM), witch means that it will be quiet?

I mean to use either Noctua NH-C14S (this cool well the CPU VRMs!) or the Phanteks PH-TC14PE (with one fan between all the massive heatsinks) ... but in the later case I worry a bit about the CPU VRMs.

...but on the other hand, good news is, that the CPU could be a terrible overclocker with wall at 4.1GHz - all I care is the lowest TDP up to 4GHz. Maybe I can cool only 3.8GHz quietly, so... if the voltage is seriously low, then a 3.8GHz is enought ;)

That CPU would determine the mainboard then, right?
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway

Offline GaK_45

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for mid power QUIET gaming PC
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 11:06:37 PM »
Couples ways to attack this problem.

First the CPU...stick the largest AIO that can fit in your case....and use four low speed fans on it.  That will make for a whisper quiet cooling solution.
Next the case. Unless you water cool them GPUs are going to be a tad loud under load....so stick it in a good case....that uses noise dampening foam.  Even a cheapie like the Corsair 200R silent will make for a low noise gaming system (though I am partial to Fractal Desing for whisper builds!).

Illegitimi non carborundum!
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 11:06:37 PM »

Offline Bond007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 12:17:58 AM »
pretty much all the quad core intel CPU from each generation have the same TDP (with the exception of low power S and T models....which I do not recommend).

Sounds like you want to do something similar to what I have done. I have an i5 3570k that is OC'd to 4.1ghz, but undervolted to 1.09v. It peaks around 60 deg with a cheap 120mm tower cooler under p95 (max fan speed underload around 1500rpm...normally around 800). Given you want to stay sub 4 ghz (and assuming you care about budget) I would go for a non k i5 and then undervolt as much as you can. If you want a bit more ghz or more flexibility, then go for the K (it will just cost a bit more).
Desktop: Arc Midi R2, Z77-D3H, 3570K @ 4.1ghz undervolted with Zalman Optima Cooler, Vengeance 2x4gb @ 1866mhz, XFX R9 280X DD, Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB

Away from home light Gamer: Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, Vengeance 2x4gb, M500 240gb,

Offline GaK_45

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 01:39:03 PM »
Derp. Forgot the CPU. Yeah I too would go for a regular i5... the slower variants just spin up more and the dif in heat is minor - they are for battery powered systems where power and not heat is paramount.

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 06:22:42 PM »
Well, silent guys at SPCR believe that the only way to get quiet operation is hi-end aircooling solution. They complain about the pump noise... well, maybe they are right? Dunno.

Okay, so for more constructive debate - for quiet VGA cooling - anyone know something better that Prolimatech MK-26 cooler? It seems to be recommended by SPCR:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1301-page5.html

Looks nice:
http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=2484&subid=2595#showtab

...and let me install 2x 120mm fans easily:

http://www.prolimatech.com/uploadfile/en/news/UploadFile/201296111640508.jpg

The catch is, that 2x 120mm Noiseblocker XL-1 fans, spinning at 1000rpm are unhearable from case. Even not dampered one. That is tested and therefore only a brand of GTX 960 card is left to choose. Probably go with MSI... right?

That should do it for the VGA part.

For the CPU part, the Skylake is (thanks to DDR4 prices, mainboard prices and lousy timings on DDR4 rams) out of the question. So it will be a i7-4790K ... now some luck finding one that run near or under 1V at 4GHz is need, lol :) What is the default Vcore on such suxxka? Intel site are suspiciously quiet about the on-load Vcore.

For cooling was suggested the Phanteks PH-TC14PE - but what fan to use? The standard one, or some 140mm 1000rpm Noiseblocker would be better...? Suggestions?

As for mainboard, these Z87 ones from Asus does not feature M.2 SSD ports, so looks like Z97 is the way to go. Are there something worth mentioning in terms of difference between Z87 and Z97 - besides the M.2...?

GaK_45 - I quess that I should look out for some overclockers sale - they hapilly sell a bad clocker that run on little voltage... And since this is not for overclocking, then all should be fine.
What noise dampening foam you would suggest? None are on the Phanteks Enthoo Pro case, so...

Bond007 -
pretty much all the quad core intel CPU from each generation have the same TDP (with the exception of low power S and T models....which I do not recommend).

Well, looks like I go with i7-4790K, because these latest 22nm chips could run at lowest voltage settings. That is a big plus and the chip go to 4GHz / 4.4GHz turbo on default... so pretty fast. Disabling HT gives only plain 4 cores with managable TDP - that should be good.

i5 3570k that is OC'd to 4.1ghz, but undervolted to 1.09v. It peaks around 60 deg with a cheap 120mm tower

Assuming you use multicore Prime95 - then that is jolly good!  ;) I would be satisfacted with 4GHz at 1.0 or 0.95V... :)

Given you want to stay sub 4 ghz (and assuming you care about budget) I would go for a non k i5 and then undervolt...

Not that much interesed about budget in this case (  8) ) and the K version give the possibility to push baseclock, while lowering the multiplier for more power at same clock settings :) At least in theory it should help a bit... :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:32:47 PM by trodas »
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway

Offline GaK_45

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 08:34:10 PM »
If you want to go silent and I mean silent...go to a junkyard and get a heatercore / rad out of a Lada or other wrecked car or truck.  Neck down the inlet and outlet port to 1/2inch and get a DD pump for. Stick a decent waterblock on it...and have the heatercore next to your case. It will run passively - if it doesnt...add a second heatercore!  That is the ultimate in silence.

Of course the DD pump, tubing, and waterblock will set you back a couple bills....and be one frankenstein build ;)

Modern AIOs dont run their pump flat out all the time - they can spin up and down as needed. But yes some people are sensitive to the noise and Nocuta D14 or D15 can be even lower noise. IF you dont mind 2-3 pounds hanging off your mobo.

I would go Z97 over Z87 and '97 was basically the FIXED version of the Z87 chipset...and with Z170 released '97 will be cheap but easy to find. :)

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 01:59:47 PM »
GaK_45 -
get a heatercore / rad out of a Lada or other wrecked car or truck.  Neck down the inlet and outlet port to 1/2inch...

Been there, done that years ago - and better: http://ax2.old-cans.com/s.php?p=wc&id=94&c=10&d=1&v=v2
However the catch was pump noise, I could not get rid of it AND the build is unmovable. And I plan some reworking in house, so no, I have to stay with aircooling. So I go the the most massive heatsinks.
Like Raijintek MORPHEUS for VGA card:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/05/07/raijintek-morpheus-gpu-cooler-review/3

Also I limited myself to GTX 960. Plus there will be no overclocking of the i7-4790K, I plan to disable turbo and limit it to 4GHz (at most). So I hoping that I could limit the Vcore to the default 0.976V, witch goes under load to 1.05V on VERY good chip... So it is open question how good my chip will be. Disabling HT also, that should also cut down on the heat generation and I don't mind 70C under load as long, as I did not hear the noise.

Ordered today first batch:
i7-4790K
Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Asus Z97-PRO
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM (8-9-9-24)
Plextor M6e PCIe M.2

...bug there seems to be excesive wait for the mobo (they started with 9.12.2015 and quickly moved to 15.12.2015, witch is unacceptable, so I have to find a quickier service) and also for the Phanteks PH-TC14PE and Plextor M6e PCIe M.2. It might be a good idea/time then to check out, if there are not faster and better M.2 SSDs. Going for just 128G one for the OS only, so... Maybe there are better choices? Did someone compared that somewhere...?

I don't ming the weight - the mobo better handle itself well :)

Z97 it is then :) That is done.

Also I wonder, if you had some experience with noise dampening foam. I seems to find only 4mm thick one: Akasa AK-PAX-2 ... and that seems to me too light. So if anyone have ANY experience, then pls share :) This *MUST* be quiet, or I throw this garbage out  >:(

PS. looks like I did my homework badly - the Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD seems outperform the choosen Plextor M6e M.2 SSD, so I go with the Samsung now:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2977024/storage/m2-ssd-roundup-tiny-drives-deliver-huge-performance.html
...that also let me order the Phanteks PH-TC14PE where it is stocked, witch leave only the Asus Z97-PRO to be hunted down...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 02:33:05 PM by trodas »

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 11:52:46 AM »
Phanteks PH-TC14PE make it to me:

Noise from the fans are reasonably low, maybe good for most, but I'm affraid not yet for me.  But we see in case... Probably I stick with only one fan and maybe I try replace it by some 140mm Noiseblocker fan, to compare the acustics.

Still, impressive cooler :)

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 01:31:26 PM »
Today, despite it is Saturday, a PPL come with the Samsung SM951 M.2 128G SSD and Akasa AK-PAX-2:

So slowly but surely the components come. Now it is a good question to ask, what is the progress on the 3 pcs of 750rpm Noiseblocker M12-S1 fans I have ordered for the case cooling for quite some time...

Also the Asus Z97-PRO seems to be delayed. Even the next company says, that it will be there 11.12.... and 17.12. in later email. Suxx!

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 04:53:31 PM »
ATM I get the MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G graphic caard and the i7-4790K CPU (LGA1150, 4.0GHz (4.4GHz turbo), Vcore 0.976V), but nothing more yet come:

All delayed.
The MSI GTX 960 card is weird, it reporting 53C under load, but at that moment I cannot keep my finger on the heatpipes (can for second and something, then it become to be exponencialy more painfull with time and I'm not that big masochists to push for more when it really hurts...), hence they are probably at 70C or more... I did not trust the temperature reported at all.
That translate to the fans not spinning much at all. Not even during gaming or 3D benching. When run 3DMark 03, the fans spin first only in the end of the Troll liar bench (3rd one) and keep very, very slow. Unaudible. Yet IMHO the card is overheating, so I need the cooler bad :(

So at least I can provide some pics from my testing too, but this is the old MSI X58Pro-E mobo with Xeon in it - just testing:

Runs nicely. Played whole BF3 thru with it, and even I think it IS overheating, it hold up pretty well. I even recorder temps log in GPU-Z from two last levels of BF3 (yep, the assault by Russian GRU forces on the villa and the endgame in NYC):
http://www.mediafire.com/?wj4nwd9rc8110jj

Framerate is (Ultra textures settings, 16x AF, rest medium, blur and AA off (only 3.4GHz Xeon 6 cores, 12 threads) ) 200fps in cut-in scenes and 150 - 160fps in game. Not bad for old-ass Xeon at poor 3.4GHz. But the card is IMHO overheating and the fans should spin much more often...

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 07:44:43 AM »
I wonder, if MSI is serious about the impossibility of replacing the used cooler with 3rd party one on GTX 960. In short, I wonder, why replacing the cooler will seems to void my warranty, as the screw that is holding the heatsink over the GPU got the "Warranty void if removed" sticker by MSI on my GTX 960 Gaming 4G card...

Gotta ask MSI about this, it is like ... WTF?

Other than that, I run out of patience with waiting for Asus Z97-PRO and ordered the Asus Z97-PRO (WiFi ac) with have USB 3.1 and mainly they have it stock... That should do the trick.

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 07:55:24 AM »
I wonder, if MSI is serious about the impossibility of replacing the used cooler with 3rd party one on GTX 960. In short, I wonder, why replacing the cooler will seems to void my warranty, as the screw that is holding the heatsink over the GPU got the "Warranty void if removed" sticker by MSI on my GTX 960 Gaming 4G card...

Gotta ask MSI about this, it is like ... WTF?

Other than that, I run out of patience with waiting for Asus Z97-PRO and ordered the Asus Z97-PRO (WiFi ac) with have USB 3.1 and mainly they have it stock... That should do the trick.

MSI is famous for throwing warranty void stickers on everything and then blaming their customer for upgrading their own ram without paying a MSI depot to do it for them haha
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 08:55:07 AM »
LOL ... that seems to be their way :) Support confirmed your claims, John:

At first, I did not understand the MSI support (rather quick!) response:

Dear Sir

Replacing the cooler will not void the warranty as long as the warranty label reads MSI.
Any mechanical damage because of this will void the warranty.
Should the card be defective, you will need to mount the original cooler again.

Thank you and Best regards,

MSI Europe BV
Mainboard and VGA Card Service

So I made a picture of the small round sticker on the screw:

...that there is no mistake about what it is mentioned.

Meanwhile the support says:

Dear Pavel

The warranty void sticker should read MSI in the middle
If it reads ATI or NVIDIA, do not break it, warranty will be really void.

MSI Europe BV

I would be inclined to believe that this means that the 3rd party cooler is a possibility, because the sticker does not read "ATI" (AMD?) or "NVIDIA" at all :) But to be extra sure, I asked for confirmation with the picture, as the sticker clearly say "Warranty void if removed" ...

And support confirmed that this is just a "tossed out sticker" and it will not really void the warranty:

Dear Pavel

Correct, so you can safely remove it and put another heatsink on it, just dont damage the card in the process.

MSI Europe BV

Ufff. Off the sticker goes, lol.

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 08:57:35 AM »
Awesome :) happy modding :D
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

Offline yzfraven

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 11:45:54 AM »
Nice build Trodas.. I wanted to get a 4790k cpu but went with the 4670k.
MSI Z97 Gaming 5, 4770K @4.2GHz,CM Nepton 280L,HyperX 16GB ,Kingston V300 series 240GB SSD ,WD 750GB, MSI Radeon R9 380 4GD5T OC. Evga SuperNOVA 750 B2. NZXT Source 530, V243H LCD

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal