Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: HWC  (Read 3829 times)

Offline GaK_45

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: HWC
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 10:08:09 AM »
Nope nothing sinister going on.  They are doing an entire backed overhaul so that there can (hopefully) never be a repeat of that again.  It was scheduled and announced on their FB account. ;)

TBH I hope only the best for HWC and hope that they can turn things around.  I was - and still AM - with them since the first year of existence.  Will that happen...no idea.  May end up being borged with NCIX like it was supposed to be from the first moment. 

There are simply too few places that I trust at all that I can wish them any ill will.  I may not like everything that is happening but I still support them.  Hope you guys feel the same as it will be a sad day the day they get 'bought out'.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 10:57:49 AM »
Regardless of why they're down...they have had so much downtime in the last year that as a regular forum user there it is very frustrating.

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 10:57:49 AM »

Offline Arinoth

• Here I Am. Here I Remain
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 11:20:01 AM »
Well GBA we have less down time here.  ;)

Offline trodas

• Media/News
  • Just one crazy computer geek :)
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 04:04:39 PM »
And let's hope it stay that way.
Dunno what are going on in HWC database, but I would not brag about uptime, untill the database size and number of active users are comparable. Then it would be something to brag about  ;)  :D

(just a reminder, that ATM we are comparing simply uncomparable)

But if someone actually hacking their DB, then he should stop doing it, because there is no reason as why over some online argument anyone could resort to that. This is simply too low... I think that the golden rule is to remember, that freedom of choice meant to allow others to go on with choices, that we did not agree on.
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway

Offline b1lk1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 05:42:22 AM »
Stumbling in here, but I have to agree.  I also wish no ill will, but their inability to acknowledge they are owned and operated by NCIX is just mystifying.

What really put a major bad taste in my mouth was when they let Linus have a section yet he was not even active as a member.  Too much corporate connection.  It was priceless when Linus came on to defend price gouging hard drives a few years back.

Anyhow, not here to just sling my poo, have been a lurker and now that I know where everyone has gone I'll hang here too.

Offline GaK_45

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 09:11:12 AM »
To be fair. Linus was one of the original HWC team members. Back at the dawn of HWC there was a certain 'Misoprostol' reviewer who 'may' even predate SKYMTL.  Then he was promoted at NCIX and the rest is history.  ;)

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 09:16:10 AM »
To be fair. Linus was one of the original HWC team members. Back at the dawn of HWC there was a certain 'Misoprostol' reviewer who 'may' even predate SKYMTL.  Then he was promoted at NCIX and the rest is history.  ;)

This is very true I believe he was the water cooling reviewer and if we go back to the start was hwc. Not Canada computers or ncix support forum?? Could be way off there.

Still some great people there but think of it like work. 1000 great jobs can be ruined by one mess up. Or one bad member can out weigh and damage thousands of great members names.
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

Offline b1lk1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 09:24:38 AM »
I've been a member since Feb 2007, I've  seen pretty much all of what's gone down.  In fact, I believe Linus has/had multiple accounts.  I've also beenunhappy with the perma bans.  They've banned a few that well deserved a second chance.

Offline Arinoth

• Here I Am. Here I Remain
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 09:43:53 AM »
Not to mention the lack of anyone seeming to care that Fudd got robbed aside from a few people it's business as usual in the rants section...

As for bans, that's based on the infraction system not personal mod opinions, well also staff/ownership views too

Offline GaK_45

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 09:54:29 AM »
Not to mention the lack of anyone seeming to care that Fudd got robbed aside from a few people it's business as usual in the rants section...

As for bans, that's based on the infraction system not personal mod opinions, well also staff/ownership views too

Yeah that got pushed down so fast I didnt even know it happened until Soul and Arinoth were talking about what we could do to help him out! 

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 01:44:59 PM »
As for bans, that's based on the infraction system not personal mod opinions...

Still permanent ban is the absolute last resort, that should be applied with great caution and definitively only rarely. Second chance is IMHO a must, same goes for the longetivity. I believe that no ban shall last over a year... permament is IMHO out of the question, unless maybe a hacking attempt on database or so...

And users should be protected and not allowed to be robbed...  never the less, many very nice HW projects are what HWC get my attention even since  ;)
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway

Offline b1lk1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 06:29:28 PM »
While I felt the mods were a touch strict at times, things could get VERY VERY out of hand at any  time.  I understand a long ban, but perma bans are just the suk.  They lost lots of people when a certain few members got banned.  I have a hard time believing that HWC is going anywhere and while traffic may shift, new blood can come in any time and a new group is the new clicque.

Offline Inik

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 06:42:08 AM »
It seems to be down again!

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 07:08:59 AM »
It seems to be down again!

you are right, we were down this weekend for 6 hours to but after firing our hosting and switching to a whole new Server all is well :)
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 03:46:46 PM »
Congratulations for quick fix  ;) I think downtime will happen from time to time, so no big deal about it. Nothing is perfect.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal