Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: HWC  (Read 4335 times)

Offline Shiver

• Guardian
  • Admin
    • View Profile
Re: HWC
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »
I've been a member since Feb 2007, I've  seen pretty much all of what's gone down.  In fact, I believe Linus has/had multiple accounts.  I've also beenunhappy with the perma bans.  They've banned a few that well deserved a second chance.

What you don't see and what many people don't see is the backend that happens when certain members go off the hook.
I've had death threats there, threats against my family among a myriad of other things for people who were temp banned. Those type of actions to a staff member at HWC in a PM will result in an IP ban. Simple as that.
You'd be surprised at how off the hook people get when you try and rein them in a little. There is a whole cause and effect that the general population does not ever see.

-Soul

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2014, 03:45:27 PM »
I've been a member since Feb 2007, I've  seen pretty much all of what's gone down.  In fact, I believe Linus has/had multiple accounts.  I've also beenunhappy with the perma bans.  They've banned a few that well deserved a second chance.

What you don't see and what many people don't see is the backend that happens when certain members go off the hook.
I've had death threats there, threats against my family among a myriad of other things for people who were temp banned. Those type of actions to a staff member at HWC in a PM will result in an IP ban. Simple as that.
You'd be surprised at how off the hook people get when you try and rein them in a little. There is a whole cause and effect that the general population does not ever see.

-Soul

In the days of old with Torontopaseoclub.com I was doing back end work there and sold a turbo and some computer parts, a year later someone said the motherboard failed and I said "sorry it has been a year and I saw the photos of you modding and cant give you a refund" he threatened my family and said he would go to my house and deal with me in person. (I had moved by then haha)

he was not the only one. I dealt with a few total flakes on HWC and hardocp as well as else where. nut jobs are everywhere and sadly in IT there are far more than out in the wild
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2014, 03:45:27 PM »

Offline trodas

• Media/News
  • Just one crazy computer geek :)
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2014, 01:17:31 PM »
Well, if someone modding went wrong, then who is to the blame? I would say the modder ;)
(could be interesting to know, if the mainboard was new or second hand, eg. used before the sale too)

Never the less, threats are generally bad and over what? Some PC hardware? This is nuts... Luckily, all what I was hit up to now are some badmounting of people, that for example, make bad decisions. One guy did a great job and ordered custom made bunch of caps for the PSU outputs (d10 is hard limit for the 16V caps) from Samxon and Chemi-con too, yet then I come with Nichicon HM that have almost 2x better specs (talking ripple current, less capacity, tough) and people at BadCaps backed me up, that the ripple curent is notably more important that the capacity.
And the cap is easy (at least for people with US/Canada addresses and creditcards) to buy on DigiKey.
That make his "bussiness" fail and since them he is rolling on forums trolling how bad I'm in that or what :) Get banned few times from some of the main Czech IT forums, much to my amusement  ;D

I still value his work and expertise on matters, but he failed on the cap (and later on manners) and that can happen for anyone (me included). Smart is to acknowledge that someone got it right and he just searched wrong and made wrong decision and that it is. Move on :)

Same with the dead mobo. Gosh, that simply happens and that it is.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 01:19:44 PM by trodas »
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway

Offline Supergrover

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2014, 04:22:41 PM »
To be fair. Linus was one of the original HWC team members. Back at the dawn of HWC there was a certain 'Misoprostol' reviewer who 'may' even predate SKYMTL.  Then he was promoted at NCIX and the rest is history.  ;)
Yup back in the day (nov 06 ) Linus went by Misoprostol, there were 2 Smods and Gav as well as the backend "Team", see if anyone remembers whom the other SMod was?
IIRC Sky didnt sign up until Feb 07, was good times back then. Members were friendly and helpful. Well except for Curt, while helpful you cant exactly say friendly about his online persona. Great Guy though.

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2014, 04:27:33 PM »
Wasn't mr fixit around then to?

They still have some great people there and Curt only has forum nads in person he's a great guy to everyone but Lpfan4ever haha.

Back in the day I prided myself on my visits there now a days I don't even dare to look.

I do hope their team all the best though as the Internet is huge and plenty of room for everyone:)
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

Offline Supergrover

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2014, 04:39:14 PM »
Wasn't mr fixit around then to?

They still have some great people there and Curt only has forum nads in person he's a great guy to everyone but Lpfan4ever haha.

Back in the day I prided myself on my visits there now a days I don't even dare to look.

I do hope their team all the best though as the Internet is huge and plenty of room for everyone:)
Yes they do have SOME great staff, Steve Tony are stand up guys, though Steve needs to come out drinking one night. The man needs to relax life is too short.
Dennis , Sam are good guys also though I still think of them as the "New Guys"...... Gods it is almost 8 years for me there now.
And I agree John lots of room around the net for everybody, hell I found new homes after I left. Though I do think it is almost time to get drunk and run amuk one night, the PM's are always entertaining. Plus the new kids have never really experienced me at my fullest been almost 4 years since I did one of those runs. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal