Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: Computer upgrade recommendations  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Jadall

• View Profile
Computer upgrade recommendations
« on: April 28, 2014, 10:19:02 PM »
I am looking to upgrade this computer I just got . hp compaq dc6800 pc. has 4 ram slots, with 2x 1 gb 667 mhz.. looking for like maybe 4gb total ram or 8gb total ram and 1-2 gb of graphics card on the pci x 16 slot..  (x16pcixp written on the mobo) for the graphics card.. I'm not a heavy gamer but would like to play a half decent game now and then, lots of web browsing usage, ripping dvd's are some of my activities I do if that helps.  I just a month ago pulled and put another motherboard in a p4 era computer and it worked on first time I fired it up so I just don't know the specifics on what I should get it would have to be low profile for video card.. suggestions idea's please try not to trash me and make me feel bad having "old" computer.. and my budget is SUPER LOW like the price of the p4 I just put together last month and am trying to sell (probably will be lucky to get $40.00 for it) I have $30.00 saved up for the ram so far.. and plan on trying to spend less than 40 on a graphics card at the very most I know that is low but in chats I've had online etc I don't know anyone else to consult with.

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Computer upgrade recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 12:14:40 PM »
Where are you located at?

I happen to have lots of spare gear all the time and if you cover shipping I am sure we could get your system flying again.

What motherboard did you install?

that will help to know what you have and where you can go :)

anyways always happy to help and thanks for posting
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 12:14:40 PM »

Offline trodas

• Media/News
  • Just one crazy computer geek :)
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 02:01:33 PM »
Your system is not that bad, I use worser :) And as long, as I play older games, it works just fine. As for graphic card - do not look for the ram size, it simply does not matter. Huge (above 1G) videorams are need only for hi-hi-hi res testures and plenty of them. And game like that simply will not work at decent speed for you, so even 512MB of videoram is more that plenty. I use Point of View 8600GT card with 256MB of videoram and hapilly ;)
(bottom line - even if a hi-requirments game will work, then the graphic card does not have the power to texture using these hi-hi-hi quality textures, so it is (much videoram in slow videocards) pointless from the begining)

Looks for speed and get the fastest (more recent) you can grab/afford.

...but I having hard time to find the hp compaq dc6800 you mention on HP pages. They refuse to acknowledge existence of this model  ::) Maybe I doing something wrong...
http://www8.hp.com/cz/cs/hp-search/search-results.html?ajaxpage=1#/page=1&/cc=cz&/lang=cs&/qt=hp%20compaq%20dc6800
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway

Offline Jadall

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 06:43:10 PM »
 ::)sorry it is a hp/compaq dc 7800 sff (small form factor) 2.66 cpu. has 2 1gb ddr DIMM pc2-5300 sticks in it currently.. I already ordered a saphire 5450? pci x16 non fan (looks like it comes with the front clip thingy for small computers. so I'm all good on that, the ram is driving me crazy out of my budget by far to do 8 gb. here is the specsheet. 
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.html#spectype=worldwide&type=html&docid=12744

mine is the sff

Offline Jadall

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 06:49:48 PM »
Where are you located at?

I happen to have lots of spare gear all the time and if you cover shipping I am sure we could get your system flying again.

What motherboard did you install?

that will help to know what you have and where you can go :)

anyways always happy to help and thanks for posting

see my post in this thread I mistyped the model no.. and have specsheet (middle one in the rows) I will pm

Online Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 07:20:24 AM »
You got a email here is the TL;DR of the email
I'll send you
Ram
Cpu
OS
and a spare GPU

Show the people how to do the update/upgrade with photos and their all yours :)
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

Offline Jadall

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 04:35:53 PM »
You got a email here is the TL;DR of the email
I'll send you
Ram
Cpu
OS
and a spare GPU

Show the people how to do the update/upgrade with photos and their all yours :)
sounds good I put a mobo in a computer in march too I'll get it together for you guys also try to make "guide" of some sort.. took a ton of pics but I swear the camera saved half of them lol.. I was proud of myself it worked on power up so I woulda called that one a success and thanks again and thanks to everyone here.

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 11:35:31 AM »
Soul - wow, now that is somewhat fast help  ;) I wish I live in Canada  ;D

Jadall - well, fix you camera and show us then what you got, so it will be meaningfull upgrade for you and that it helps :)
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway

Offline Jadall

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 11:20:53 PM »
Soul - wow, now that is somewhat fast help  ;) I wish I live in Canada  ;D

Jadall - well, fix you camera and show us then what you got, so it will be meaningfull upgrade for you and that it helps :)
I'm out of town helping family members but when I return I wll get a bunch of things to post. I will try something tomorow.  I also found some things here that will be fun to take photo's to show.

Offline Jadall

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 09:48:01 AM »
editing photos right now as video card arrived. bear with me.. I'm going to try and put up first 2 or so pictures.. (haven't edited a photo in like a decade.. sooooo.. I'm doing some trial and error)

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 05:31:12 PM »
Sounds good, we bear with ya. At least you learn (or re-learn) new things. Hope Soul gear helped you out  ;)

Offline Jadall

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 08:58:50 PM »
Well a family member sent me 4 gb ram the other day so now desktop has 6gigs. He just said I'll send you a laptop so I was like ok. it's an intel i5 4 gigs ddr3 of ram  nvidia 512mb. I was like OMG! I'll come back on in a few days probably with questions about the laptop (read 2 manuals on it so far and watched teardown videos etc) It's rebuilt by the looks of it by the family member. so It should be ok as far as vents being blocked by dust etc. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal