Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: Horrible pictures of dead caps  (Read 18841 times)

Offline trodas

• Media/News
  • Just one crazy computer geek :)
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
Re: Horrible pictures of dead caps
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 04:24:47 PM »
Heh, yea, probably yes. Who is not used to gunshots comming out of the PC, then he can get quite surprised. The accumulated hydrogen and oxygen from the water produce nice force. I seen a small, like diameter 5mm cap, exploded in PSU and it almost break thru the PCB, when it acted like a shell and get bounced from the metal casing of the PSU back at the board...

So if a small capacitor produce such force, then things with bigger caps can get really nasty. From my experience, this Chemicon KZG caps: http://s10.postimage.org/j65kk9zu1/DFI_LP_B_KZG_Chemi_con_busted_by_PSU.jpg
...get "opened" with strong dull sound from my PC. But still the level of noise was not so big.

However in this case - PCchips M810L v7.0a board, caps G-Luxon, mine :)

...the explosion of single cap was so loud, that about half day my hearing was notably worser. And my stepbro run to the other end of the room and refused to have anything to do with THIS mainboard again.
And I get lucky, because when the insides of the cap erupted from it, then not any part of my flesh get hit.

Lesson learned - powering up old mainboards with questionable caps? Better stand back...

I'm not armed (certainly not at home), so pulling out gun never crossed my mind ;D That should lead to bad mistake, lol. Dunno, if anyone who never experieced this will understand how bad it sound. It sounded to me (the G-Luxon ones) almost like a strong firework explosion, but that is probably because things sound much more noisy in home, while firewors / gunshots outside did not sound that much loud - unless the gun use some powerfull ammo, like the Russian AK rounds (6.72x39). That is really on the outside par-to-par with the loundness of the G-Luxon explosion at home. And like the G-Luxon, it some with "special effects" too - the grass near the gun get shaked badly by each shoot ;D We use our own Czech variant (quite internally different) of the AK-47 design called SA-58. Arguably it is better in some aspects (cleaning, diassembly, modifications) and not worser in others. Old good commies staged trial run between the AK-47 and the SA-58 and both are fine after firing 500 000 rounds each.
Except on our SA-58 one of the springs give up, so since this time, there are strenghtened springs used. And that it is. No more loses with AK ;D  It also have (because of internally different design) notably higher auto fire rate, but the slower autofire allow better aiming of original AK, because with auto your shoots are flying all over the place... so increasing the speed of kicks are not exactly beneficial IMHO in any way. You just chew thru the magazine much faster and that it is. Most bullets will miss anyway... So auto is useless, unless you want just spray bullets at area and did not really expect to hit anything.
And the AK design is more simplier, easier and cheaper to made - with that we cannot compete with the SA-58.

But that is quite OT when talking about caps  ;)
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 04:42:51 AM »
Soltek SL-85ERV2 with GSC caps, user norcio from OCW forum

"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway

Real Hardware Reviews

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 04:42:51 AM »

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2014, 03:18:59 AM »
I.Q. cap on Asus TXP4-X (yes, this is Socket 7 = Pentium 1) mainboard, user mech13 from SHW forum

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2014, 03:51:39 AM »
Asus P5K Premium with Apaq polymer caps:

User Dawgdoc, Xtremesystems forum. ( http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...ad.php?t=171339 )

(overclocking + too few polymers + bad caps in PSU = booooom)

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2014, 04:34:14 AM »
Skyhawk PSU 230W, CapXon caps, user Trippax, SHW forum

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2014, 09:00:59 AM »
Fake Nichicon caps on D865GLC mainboard:

Friend Peter come with it to me for caps replacing.

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2014, 05:09:51 AM »
MSI 6541 (Compaq Evo 310) and G-Luxon caps on this mainbard

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2014, 05:53:48 AM »
Sacon caps on eVGA 7600GT, user Bevo, CapMods forum

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 05:56:08 AM by trodas »

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2014, 10:05:15 AM »
Tagan TG430-U15 PSU, Jenpo caps, user norcio from OCW forum

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2014, 01:55:52 PM »
Asus P5K-VM - input Vcore 270uF 16V Fujitsu polymer exploded after a mild overclock of Q6600 to 3GHz with 1.30Vcore... Corsair HX620 PSU used, user zoob, HardwareCanucks forum

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2014, 12:37:55 PM »
Dell Optiplex GX280, legendary bad batch of Nichicon caps

user zoob, HardwareCanucks forum

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2014, 06:43:45 AM »
Samwha caps, PSU Powertech AS-350P4, user dEaTh MaTcH from CapsMod.net forum

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2014, 03:36:12 AM »
eVGA 7600 GT with Sacon caps (relabeled GSC crap caps)

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2014, 03:15:14 PM »
Intel D845GLVA mainboard, fake Nichicon caps, user s0vet from SHW forum

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6970/zk...sebni167yh7.jpg

Offline trodas

• Media/News
    • View Profile
    • trodas little blog
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2014, 02:30:27 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal