Gearbest Banner

Author Topic: HTC One M7 Microphone/USB Port Replacement  (Read 10533 times)

Offline LPfan4ever

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
HTC One M7 Microphone/USB Port Replacement
« on: July 16, 2014, 08:09:22 PM »
I received a phone from my friend that took a dip into a lake and the mic decided it wanted to drink some water. Everything else seems to work except for the microphone, which outputs absolutely nothing but static now. Here's what to do (and what not to do) to crack open your HTC One M7 and replace the PCB that they reside on.

1) Have a broken phone. (duh) Remove your SIM card and SIM card holder. Power down your phone.

2) Gather tools:

- Patience
- Microwavable heating pad (the ones with balls are best for this) to help release the glue
- Cloth to protect the screen when using the above and when screen is face down
- Large flat hobby knife blade or spudger
- Screwdrivers. I used J000 for all of the screws here, PH000 would be applicable as well if you have one. My ifixit set is probably the best I've ever owned so I'd recommend that if you need a set.
- Replacement USB/mic assembly
- MOAR PATIENCE

3) Microwave your heat pad. I personally microwaved mine for a minute and a half to get it hot enough that it had a noticeable effect on the glue. Place your phone screen up onto the pad. Fold up your cloth so that it protects the screen from direct heat, then wrap the heat pad tightly around the phone. You want to let this sit for a few minutes so the glue starts to get sticky again.

4) Unwrap your package of melty phone goodness, being careful of the fact that it will be pretty damn hot. Grab your hobby blade and start forcing your way inside the edges of the phone. You will need to force it in parallel to the screen and then wiggle your way vertically down until you push through the glue. Then slightly lift up and you should hear stuff starting to come loose. I found the easiest way to start was along the top, going clockwise from power button down. Once I had three sides (top, right, bottom) separated the heat pad was reheated, phone put in for a minute, and then pulled the rest of the phone away from the left side of the rear case gently.

5) Lay your phone down on your cloth. Remove the screws within the red box. The right screw is longest, middle are both the same length, and the left is silver. Easy peasy. You will also pull the little plate beneath the screws.

6) Remove the cable running to the mainboard; it will be hidden under a piece of black tape. The black clip pivots upwards and will let go of the cable; be careful due to its fragility.  Also remove the cable running from the bottom speaker to the board holding the USB/mic. This connector is very very fragile. You will have to rock it out slowly using the tabs on the sides and your hobby blade (or whatever small and pointy thing works)

7) At this point the board is free of anything holding it down. You should be able to wiggle it out at this point if you push upwards on the mainboard slightly. Once it's out, shove the new part in and test before you reassemble. If everything is good then follow the steps in reverse to get it back together. The rear casing will snap right back on, but you should probably grab your heat pad again to get everything melty again once it's back together.

This is a bonus picture in full resolution (16MP) as a reference if you accidentally knock a cable off and can't find the right connector. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5579100/HTC%20One%20M7/Bonus.jpg
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:10:14 PM by LPfan4ever »

Offline LPfan4ever

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: HTC One M7 Micophone/USB Port Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 08:11:53 PM »
For what not to do...

Don't buy shitty stuff. Usually if something on eBay says it's OEM and it's the same price as the non-OEM ones, it's probably not OEM. Spend the few extra dollars to get the proper soldering and thicker PCB that the OEM part has.

OEM is on the bottom of the second picture.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:52:46 PM by LPfan4ever »

Real Hardware Reviews

Re: HTC One M7 Micophone/USB Port Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 08:11:53 PM »

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
Re: HTC One M7 Microphone/USB Port Replacement
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 02:25:05 PM »
nice repair Ghetto replacement part eh! :P
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

Offline Negrura13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 07:18:23 AM »
Hi.

I had a similar problem and just today  :) I got the replacement parts, can you upload the pics again please so I can double check before doing it?

Thanks for the post!

Offline LPfan4ever

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 08:17:10 AM »
Hi.

I had a similar problem and just today  :) I got the replacement parts, can you upload the pics again please so I can double check before doing it?

Thanks for the post!

Seem to have accidentally deleted them from Dropbox. I'll have to dig for them once I get home today.

Offline LPfan4ever

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 06:30:40 PM »
Pics back up!

Offline Negrura13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »
Pics back up!

Thanks! I manage to fix it. I didn't have such nice sharp tool to open it so the sides are now really scratched, but it worked :) also, apparently I got the shitty spare part, but the small black plastic cover that goes on top of the mic can be removed from the original and placed on the new one and fits fine.

Thanks a lot, I hope it works good for a while cuz I don't have money to get a new one xD

Offline Soullessone21

• [ЯHR]Co-Owner
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 07:14:43 AM »
Thanks! I manage to fix it. I didn't have such nice sharp tool to open it so the sides are now really scratched, but it worked :) also, apparently I got the shitty spare part, but the small black plastic cover that goes on top of the mic can be removed from the original and placed on the new one and fits fine.

Thanks a lot, I hope it works good for a while cuz I don't have money to get a new one xD

happy to hear your repair went well and welcome to the forum.

I have repaired a few hundred phones (used to be part of my job) it gets easier each time you do it :)
Real Hardware Reviews is always accepting guest reviewers, email me if your interested.

BTC Donation wallet"Help me help you" 1D7KcRyxunyjmN6mR8uMx6xQ1LoWmu24CQ

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal