SILICON POWER BP81 EARBUDS Review

Overall we consider the Silicon Power Blast Plug BP81’s to be surprisingly good for this price range. So good we did forget these were BlueTooth based and not wired.
Read now

INWIN A1 PLUS Review

Read now
Though the A1 Plus is not perfect it is damn close. InWin has really brought their A game to the A1 Series of cases. Even if you are not a RGB fan the ARGB is truly beautiful and simple to setup and use.

Ryzen 5 3400G Review

When taken as whole, the Ryzen 5 3400G may not be perfectly suited for everyone, but it is pretty darn close to being the perfect system upgrade for the budget conscience and / or value hunter.Ryzen
Read now
News Ticker
  • Welcome to the New RHR Forums
  • RHR Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bond007

Upgrading my underused family laptop for a gift

My father is running an old 14 IBM c2d, that gets maybe 5 min of battery life. We have a family Lenovo 15.6 that we barely use, so I am updating it (with some bits from my now dead acer) and giving it to him for his birthday.

It still gets around 2.5hrs of battery life. Nothing great, but a massive improvement for him.

i3 2330m (if I remember right).

Out with a 500gb toshiba 5400rpm hdd, and in goes my crucial m500 240gb. All done with a clone using Acronis.

Out with 1x4gb and in with 2x4gb Corsair vengeance.

Not going to do a fresh windows install for fear of something with the old drivers causing issues, but I will delete as much as I can and give it a couple sweeps with Ccleaner.

Anything else you think should be done?

@Bond007 said in Upgrading my underused family laptop for a gift:

Not going to do a fresh windows install for fear of something with the old drivers causing issues, but I will delete as much as I can and give it a couple sweeps with Ccleaner.

Just a question if I may. I have installed windows 10 on many old laptops, would you please explain your concern over the old drivers being an issue?

It sounds like a great idea and your upgrades will certainly breathe new life into that lappy!

Well...I cant confirm my suspicion, but I feel that my acer (similar vintage to this laptop) automatically installed win10 as gpt vice mbr. It caused me many issues with not fully shutting down (required hard shutdowns every time). Eventually, after much troubleshooting and hard power offs it killed the laptop. Still not positive if its cpu, or somehow a corrupted bios, but it just loops between black screen and initial post screen. Havent been able to confirm, but I am a bit nervous because of it now. Probably for no reason, but I dont want to run into issues when its running fine.

@Bond007 Not a bad reason but a good idea would be the fact you have a working hdd in it already so when you throw the ssd in you could try w10 see if it works well and if not clone the old drive over the new ssd?

that is what I usually do :)

Good point...will see how much time I get to play with it before I need to hand it over.

Ended up doing a fresh install on the SSD. I didnt notice any issues and it freed up quite a bit of space that was used after just a clone. Gifted on the weekend, so we will see in a week or so if any problems come up.

Thanks for the recommend to do it right! It should have been my default option.