Crucial X8 Portable SSD Review

Read now
The Crucial X8 Portable SSD series may not be a perfect fit for everyone and every scenario, but it does come closer than nearly any other device in recent memory.

Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO Review

Read now
Arctic really knows how to do value right. Usually value means trading off the upfront cost for mediocrity in some other areas (aesthetics, ease of use, noise, etc.).

INWIN A1 PLUS Review

Read now
Though the A1 Plus is not perfect it is damn close. InWin has really brought their A game to the A1 Series of cases. Even if you are not a RGB fan the ARGB is truly beautiful and simple to setup and use.

SILICON POWER BP81 EARBUDS Review

Overall we consider the Silicon Power Blast Plug BP81’s to be surprisingly good for this price range. So good we did forget these were BlueTooth based and not wired.
Read now

Ryzen 5 3400G Review

When taken as whole, the Ryzen 5 3400G may not be perfectly suited for everyone, but it is pretty darn close to being the perfect system upgrade for the budget conscience and / or value hunter.Ryzen
Read now
News Ticker
  • Welcome to the New RHR Forums
  • RHR Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mightyunit

18th bday gift ideas

Any ideas on what to get my eldest son for his 18th birthday? I have little to know idea what I should get him. What did you get when you turned 18?

Back in the day you would get him something for his new place as they are leaving home at 18 but these days most kids don't move out till 30 haha. 

Does he have a car, or is there anything specific he is really interested in? 

What did you get for your 18th birthday? I do not recall getting anything substantial.

Some of my son's interests would be playing DCS and Technics LEGO. He makes up elaborate recreations of existing farm machinery. I am not sure my wife and I want to contribute more to those hobbies. Also no, he does not have a car.

I don't recall getting anything substantial on my 18th at all. Just another birthday from what I remember. I have no idea what to suggest if you aren't wanting to add to his normal hobbies...sorry I can't help more.

I got a nice restaurant dinner. At that point my hobbies had outgrown what my parents could afford and I can't be mad about a nice night out with family.

Yah I just remember a dinner and some cash. 

I would of wanted a pc upgrade at that time to but my parents knew nothing of the pc world haha

Thanks for the input guys. For some reason I think I should do something special... however it seems that all of us just had a normal birthday and so that does take the pressure off. 

My wife now reminds me (apparently I forget major events in my life) that my 18th birthday is also the day that my older sister was in her car crash and broke her back. She is now a paraplegic (nothing works from the arms down). I am embarrassed that I forgot that but it has been 19 years. I tend to push bad things from my memory... or perhaps it has been all 12 of those concussions... stupid sports!!!  

Wow I am very sorry to hear about your sister.

I honestly think the best gift of all is more or less what gunny said, just time together. For me I know at his age paintball and a great dinner would of been the best gift of all

You will figure it out, if not you can always take our some what okay advice

Thanks, I did not mean to bring my own thread down but am genuinely surprised I had forgot my 18th day like that.

Our family is close and I am sure we will have a good time. Food and presents will flow and it will be good ?