TURTLE BEACH – ELITE ATLAS AERO Review

If you are looking for a wireless headset that is feature rich, low priced and actually sounds like headsets worth 2x as much, check out the Turtle Beach Elite Atlas Aero Wireless.
Read now

SILICON POWER P34A60GB M.2 Review

QUIRKY YET COMPLIMENTARY ADDITION TO SP’S LINE-UP
Read now

Crucial X8 Portable SSD Review

Read now
The Crucial X8 Portable SSD series may not be a perfect fit for everyone and every scenario, but it does come closer than nearly any other device in recent memory.

Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO Review

Read now
Arctic really knows how to do value right. Usually value means trading off the upfront cost for mediocrity in some other areas (aesthetics, ease of use, noise, etc.).

INWIN A1 PLUS Review

Read now
Though the A1 Plus is not perfect it is damn close. InWin has really brought their A game to the A1 Series of cases. Even if you are not a RGB fan the ARGB is truly beautiful and simple to setup and use.
News Ticker
  • Welcome to the New RHR Forums
  • RHR Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mightyunit

Please advise of HDD or SSD for surveillance storage

This early morning when the three individuals trespassed and stole from my shop my surveillance system failed me. Turns out my 2TB WD AV-GP HDD crapped out. I want to replace it but I am thinking of an SSD and not an HDD. It seems that most surveillance HDD do not live long. It makes me wonder about an SSD. I know they have a limited write life. Everyday I need to record ~32GB of footage. Every year that is ~11TB. That is well within the capability of an SSD or am I missing something? I think the main issue is that SSDs do not like to run full. Rewriting the same cells kills those cells quicker. Would it be ok to have a 1TB SSD and then never allow it to be over half full?

I know it is a dumb idea but hope you all can help me out. Not a good day so far.

Thanks!

Honestly a good Samsung pro ssd. Even a Mx500 would do you, I have been meaning to swap my wd purple to one in ours as well, how many cameras and what resolution? Ours is 4 1440p cameras and a 500gb gives me a solid week of recording. 

Lots of people said the intel enterprise drives are the way to go but too expensive. 

Another odd question is does your DVR allow to record till full then write over old? My cheap safevant does this and it really helps. 

I have cobbled together an assortment of cheap IP cams from China ranging from 720P to 5K (do not remember the res). In total I have 12 cams but not all of them record at night. My software allows me to either overwrite based off of age of a video OR it will allow me to record till full then write over old. Is recording till full then overwriting going to evenly wear the SSD?

46 minutes ago, Mightyunit said:

I have cobbled together an assortment of cheap IP cams from China ranging from 720P to 5K (do not remember the res). In total I have 12 cams but not all of them record at night. My software allows me to either overwrite based off of age of a video OR it will allow me to record till full then write over old. Is recording till full then overwriting going to evenly wear the SSD?

Ding ding you got it. 

That's what my Chinese system calls "ssd longevity mode" but is exactly what you want to use the drive to its max lifespan. 

You should take some photos and screen shots of the setup (not where the camera point haha) and show off your upgrade and I will do the same 🙂

8 minutes ago, Soullessone21 said:

Do you not get a edit option for your own posts? 

I do not think so. My wife and I looked and cannot see anything

oh wait! after making this reply I could edit it. However, I cannot edit any of my other previous posts

Edited by Mightyunit