TRIBIT FLYBUDS Review

DURABILITY MEETS USABILITY
Read now

SILICON POWER BLAST PLUG BP82 Review

In either case we consider the Blast Plug BP82s to be a great addition to Silicon Powers current wireless earbud lineup.
Read now

Rugged BOSS SSD Review

The LaCie Rugged BOSS SSD in unabashedly focused on a very specific buyer: the professional.
Read now

Nixeus NX-EDG34S Review

Great gaming abilities? Check. Good ‘out of the box’ color accuracy? Check.
Read now

TURTLE BEACH – ELITE ATLAS AERO Review

If you are looking for a wireless headset that is feature rich, low priced and actually sounds like headsets worth 2x as much, check out the Turtle Beach Elite Atlas Aero Wireless.
Read now
News Ticker
  • Welcome to the New RHR Forums
  • RHR Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Soullessone21

Peking Duck With Mandarin Pancakes

Made this tonight really liked it so thought I would share 

IMG_20200114_170842.jpg

above is the end product and I will explain at the end my additions and westernization that makes it pretty damn good.

Here is the recipe I started with

Takes. 30 minutes of active prep. 6 to 12 hours refrigeration. Approximately 2 1/4 hours to smoke.

Special tools. Disposable aluminum roasting pan.

Serve with. Pinot Noir or Merlot.

Ingredients
1 whole duck (approximately 5 pounds)

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar

1 tablespoon honey

1/2 teaspoon Morton’s coarse kosher salt per pound of meat (learn more about the science of salt here)

1 teaspoon baking powder

Mandarin pancakes

Hoisin sauce

6 scallions, thinly sliced

About the rice vinegar. This is less strong, about 4% acetic acid, than most commercial white vinegars or even cider vinegar, which are often 6% or more. Most good groceries sell it as either plain or seasoned. Get the plain. If you must use white vinegar or cider vinegar, add a couple of tablespoons more water.

About the baking powder. Seasoning duck with a combination of baking powder and salt is a technique inspired by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt of SeriousEats.com. The mixture not only helps draw additional moisture from the duck but also raises the pH level, thereby ensuring evenly browned and crispy skin during the roasting process.

About the Mandarin pancakes. Sometimes labeled moo shu pancakes or Chinese pancakes, these small, thin pancakes are available at most international grocery stores. Alternatively, there are countless recipes for home made pancakes including this one from Nigella.com.

About the Hoisin sauce. This thick sweet and salty sauce is a common glaze and dipping sauce in Chinese cuisine. It can be found in the international section of most major grocery stores.

Method
1) Prep. Remove the giblets, neck, and sauce packet from the duck’s cavity.

2) Starting on the cavity side, gently work your fingers under the skin to separate the skin and flesh.

3) Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Set the duck on a rack in the sink and ladle the hot water over the duck to tighten the skin, flipping it halfway through the process.

4) Prick the skin of the duck all over with the tip of a paring knife or metal skewer to help the fat drain more easily.

5) Combine the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and honey in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 15 seconds to liquefy the honey. Stir well to combine the ingredients. Brush the mixture all over the duck.

6) Combine the salt and baking powder in a small bowl. Mix well and sprinkle the mixture over the entire duck.

7) Refrigerate the duck uncovered on an elevated rack for at least six hours and up to overnight so that the skin can air dry.

Where I change things

The original is smoked and it's -40 outside so unless a lost toe and ear is worth duck which to me it is not lets switch this to the oven

Set oven to 350 for 30 minutes with duck in a roasting pan without a grate, but no top, after 30 min drain a little grease about 3 tsp and then set the oven to 325 and cook for about 1-2 hours mattering size checking the breast every 30 min to get a temp between 160-170 no hotter or it will be dry.

Now while it is cooking I used this recipe start to finish to make the mandarin pancakes super simple and turn out great

8 oz. (1-3/4 cups) unbleached, all-purpose flour,
3/4 cup boiling water
1 Tbs. toasted sesame oil

boil the water and in a bowl mix the boiled water and flour together till evenly mixed

put the flour and water mixture on a lightly floured counter or cutting board, need it for about a minute with your hands

make it into a ball, cover it in a towel for 30 minutes

after 30 minutes knead the mix a few times till it is evenly mixed then with your hands roll it out into a long snake like I know you did as a child with play doh, make it about 12" long, 

once that is done cut 1" pucks out of the snake of dough and you should get 12 of them.

then flatten out each of the dough pucks till they are around 2-3" each 

cover one side of each of them with the oil using a brush

put 2 piece of dough together with the oil sides facing each other

then roll them out with a rolling pin till they are 5-6" round each

then heat a non oiled pan on medium high and toss them in 1 sandwich at a time, when they get lightly browned on the points touching the pan (about 30 seconds) flip them, another 30 seconds then you should remove your first sandwich and be able to peel them apart

put the done warm ones into tin foil and start on the next ones.

all done that part

With set aside grease dump it in a pan and set it to medium high, get veggies of your choice I used red onions, peppers and normal onions a tsp flour, some salt and pepper tossed them together then when the grease is spurting hot throw the veggies in to cook for a few min till soft

now time to serve it all up 

following is photos of me making and finishing it

IMG_20200114_152657.jpgIMG_20200114_165550.jpgIMG_20200114_160034.jpgIMG_20200114_161832.jpgIMG_20200114_161834.jpg

• Like 1