TRIBIT FLYBUDS Review

DURABILITY MEETS USABILITY
Read now

SILICON POWER BLAST PLUG BP82 Review

In either case we consider the Blast Plug BP82s to be a great addition to Silicon Powers current wireless earbud lineup.
Read now

Rugged BOSS SSD Review

The LaCie Rugged BOSS SSD in unabashedly focused on a very specific buyer: the professional.
Read now

Nixeus NX-EDG34S Review

Great gaming abilities? Check. Good ‘out of the box’ color accuracy? Check.
Read now

TURTLE BEACH – ELITE ATLAS AERO Review

If you are looking for a wireless headset that is feature rich, low priced and actually sounds like headsets worth 2x as much, check out the Turtle Beach Elite Atlas Aero Wireless.
Read now
News Ticker
  • Welcome to the New RHR Forums
  • RHR Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Soullessone21

Recycling miner systems to low cost gaming

Working on another trash to treasure build this one total investment under $50 

Used board, CPU, ram, gpu from miner client who is tossing them. 

Ssd and hdd used from old laptop

Case from a video we gave up on years ago got used for like $5

Psu was about $5 on eBay local pickup

Fans about $25 cuz all about matching black and white build

Now I need to load windows up and get it all tested. 

Full specs

I3 7100

Asus h270 plus prime

8gb ddr4 2133

Rx 460 4gb

120gb Kingston ssd

1tb 2.5" hdd

350 watt antec psu

Fractal case

IMG_20200129_090955.jpg

IMG_20200129_090946.jpgnice little cases with new fans

IMG_20200129_090507.jpgIMG_20200129_090532.jpgfairly clean internals, I have now hit it with the air compressor as well. 

Case is a little dinged up

Results to follow

IMG_20200129_090527.jpg

1 minute ago, eunoia said:

Cleaner than mine 😄

HAHA love the pun

tenor.gif

and Thanks, There are going to be a ton of others posted here that look far nicer but this rig should be fun to bench and post the video up

You're kind of a master of these micro-budget builds, but it helps to know people tossing DDR4 too. Currently trying to get an old system upgraded to Win 10 (with sound!), and I don't think I have the patience anymore.

1 minute ago, eunoia said:

You're kind of a master of these micro-budget builds, but it helps to know people tossing DDR4 too. Currently trying to get an old system upgraded to Win 10 (with sound!), and I don't think I have the patience anymore.

I know exactly how you feel sadly one of the rigs I spent the last few days on between other systems just is too slow cpu wise to run windows 10.

Another rig I have that is the mentioned above one

AMD E1-2500 1.4Ghz dual core

4GB ddr3

120gb SSD

DVD Burner

ITX board powered by a 60 watt hp charger

going to throw Linux on this one and will post about my experience tomorrow due to maxing out my allowed data for my office at work (my office is in a data-center where each room on the router gets a maximum Throughput to prevent issues with latency, my 5mbs is pinned DLing updates, games and linux haha)

Trying Linux Mint Cinnamon again 🙂 

I wish I knew people throwing perfectly good and relatively recent components. Sounds like a solid basic build again. Looking good!

1 hour ago, Bond007 said:

I wish I knew people throwing perfectly good and relatively recent components. Sounds like a solid basic build again. Looking good!

Thanks, this one I should be able to work on more next week this week is building and loading all the rigs up, the 1156 rig I'll post later is the next for fun one need to put more ram in it. 

IMG_20200129_145149.jpg

Is it safe to buy used parts?  As in what kind of life expectancy are there on various components.  What ones are safer investments?  I'm interested in doing more of this but I also don't want to flush money down the toilet.

7 hours ago, Half_Round said:

Is it safe to buy used parts?  As in what kind of life expectancy are there on various components.  What ones are safer investments?  I'm interested in doing more of this but I also don't want to flush money down the toilet.

Cpu and ram are probably the safest in my opinion. GPUs are usually pretty good, but verify fans functioning and avoiding old mined on cards being the priority (unless priced appropriately). Motherboards have more that can go wrong, and ssd die with use, so they are what I am less likely to get used. That being said, I have no issues buying them used either if the price/situation make it worth it. Power supplies I would buy used if it’s a budget build, but only if it is a quality unit and not too old. 

• Like 2