I am stating to run out of tests to perform to troubleshoot specifically what could be wrong with my system. My computer will 'mostly' freeze on a black screen while I am playing a video game. Does not matter the game, Tales from the Borderlands, Batman the Telltale Series, Starcraft II, etc. I say 'mostly' freeze as my G15 will still report back status fed to it from MSI Afterburner and whatever game I am playing the audio will keep playing. Aside from that the computer itself is non-responsive and stays as a black screen until I reboot it. It will also happen at random, sometimes within 5 minutes of gaming, sometimes not for hours.
Here are the specs:
• Processor – Intel i7 4930k (Stock, Turbo boost enabled)
• Motherboard – MSI X79MA-GD45 (Bios is V3.8 )
• Memory – G.SKILL TridentX F3-2400C10Q-16GTX 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-2400
• Storage – Crucial MX200 1TB SSD
• Video Card – PNY GTX 980 XLR8 Pro OC (run at stock but with a more aggressive fan profile)
• Power Supply - Corsair AX860 860W (I just installed it yesterday brand new to replace an aging Corsair 750W PSU)
• Display Monitor – Samsung LS27A850DS 27IN 2560 x 1440
Tests I have tried:
Memtes86 - Passed on all 4 passes
Prime95 - No issues here, temperatures do not exceed 70C
Furmark Burntest - Temperatures do not exceed 70C
I'm not sure what other tests to try, this didn't start 'happening' until after one of the larger Windows 10 updates late in fall 2016. I have even performed a fresh install of a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft and still will cause this issue.