A very random purchase for me today. I was looking at a local auction site and ended up getting an ex government hp elite 8200 sff with 4gb ram, i5 2400, 22" FHD monitor, keyboard and mouse, dvi and dp cables for $70 ($82 after auction fees). The only thing missing was an hdd, so I grabbed a cheap sandisk plus 120gb for $65 after tax locally. It had a win 7 pro key in it, which just validated a win 10 pro install 🙂 .

No idea what it will be used for yet, but I love a deal.

On the table opened up:

The HDD caddy went with the drive, so a quick Velcro mod for the ssd:

Cleaned out and ready to close up:

Good to go:

Great find and thanks for sharing.  Benchmark it and run a few games on it would love to see how it compares to the $39 server.

The i5 2400 is still a great cpu.

@Soullessone21:

Great find and thanks for sharing.  Benchmark it and run a few games on it would love to see how it compares to the $39 server.

Yeah it should run well for a while. Just integrated graphics, so that will be the limiting factor.

@Soullessone21:

Great find and thanks for sharing.  Benchmark it and run a few games on it would love to see how it compares to the $39 server.

And I forgot to ask what benches you are running on the server? I don't have any paid benching programs.

@Bond007:

And I forgot to ask what benches you are running on the server? I don't have any paid benching programs.

Sorry busy day was out, lets say
3dmark vantage
and pick 2 games 🙂
Recommend older like fallout 3/halo/metro things like that haha

This should be fun 😄

I forgot love your SSD hold down idea, I may just steal it in one of my ghetto builds 😄

@Soullessone21:

I forgot love your SSD hold down idea, I may just steal it in one of my ghetto builds 😄

Haha. Whatever works. It looks clean enough once in. I did put a third velcro piece on to keep it from touching the case.

@Soullessone21:

Sorry busy day was out, lets say
3dmark vantage
and pick 2 games 🙂
Recommend older like fallout 3/halo/metro things like that haha

This should be fun 😄

Installing 3dmark vantage.
The only game I have with a built in bench that may run is just cause 2…you have it?
From a gaming point of view I think my old school integrated will die....we will see.
CPU should be strong enough.

On a secondary note I think the PC is going to become a general use HTPC/Kodi/web browser computer for one of my TVs.

@Bond007:

Installing 3dmark vantage.
The only game I have with a built in bench that may run is just cause 2…you have it?
From a gaming point of view I think my old school integrated will die....we will see.
CPU should be strong enough.

On a secondary note I think the PC is going to become a general use HTPC/Kodi/web browser computer for one of my TVs.

built in bench not required just fraps and 5 min of gameplay fps testing 🙂

I sadly do not have just cause 2, games like CSGO, Left4Dead and what not maybe a good plan

If you need a low profile basic GPU I may have a few as well

@Soullessone21:

built in bench not required just fraps and 5 min of gameplay fps testing 🙂

I sadly do not have just cause 2, games like CSGO, Left4Dead and what not maybe a good plan

If you need a low profile basic GPU I may have a few as well

CS Source or L4D2? We have to have some games that line up.

Sadly I don't think shipping to OZ is going to be worth it…and the PSU is only 240w if I remember correct. Pretty low end stuff. I will see how integrated works out for the next while with the basic uses we have planned.

Well, I am not even sure it's worth installing a game.

3dmark vantage was….telling of the weak integrated getting 1-3 fps in gpu tests. Run with all the stock settings that the free version has (unable to adjust anything).

P1078

Graphics score - 822
CPU score - 16,646

@Bond007:

Well, I am not even sure it's worth installing a game.

3dmark vantage was….telling of the weak integrated getting 1-3 fps in gpu tests. Run with all the stock settings that the free version has (unable to adjust anything).

P1078

Graphics score - 822
CPU score - 16,646

Not sure your post saved correct…the reply is just a quote.

I can get you the 3dmark settings if you have the paid version and aren't sure of the default unpaid settings. I fully expect your server to pull a better graphics score.

Sorry haha I said l4d2 should be playable we used to play it on i3 laptops.

The u5 rig still does not seem bad at all.

Views