How do I power a 10 to 13 GPU mining rig?

Hey everyone! Im planning on building a rig with 10 to 13 GTX 1070's, but I am not sure what kind or how many PSU's to use to prevent a fire hazard. I do plan on overclocking too.

Any insights would be great, thanks!

Each 1070 needs about 150W so even with 10 cards you will need at least two PSUs. The other issue is that a standard North American residential circuit won't be able to handle that much either.
I'd personally split it into two rigs with 5-7 cards each.

@bitcoinbrains:

Each 1070 needs about 150W so even with 10 cards you will need at least two PSUs. The other issue is that a standard North American residential circuit won't be able to handle that much either.
I'd personally split it into two rigs with 5-7 cards each.

Hey, thanks! I believe I could also spread the load over different circuits via an extension cord. Either way, do you think a 1300W PSU per 6 GPUs be overkill?

From an electrical safety point of view you do not want to be running 2 power supplies to 1 rig off of two separate breakers. As the power supplies themselves will be connected to each other you could possible be create extra load on one of the breakers / power supplies in the result the other one is/gets tripped. There is a possibility a fire could start from this. You'd be safer running two separate rigs on two separate breakers.

@Arinoth:

From an electrical safety point of view you do not want to be running 2 power supplies to 1 rig off of two separate breakers. As the power supplies themselves will be connected to each other you could possible be create extra load on one of the breakers / power supplies in the result the other one is/gets tripped. There is a possibility a fire could start from this. You'd be safer running two separate rigs on two separate breakers.

😮 Thanks for the headsup! Okay, two rigs it is then!

Views