News Ticker
  • Join us in our daily conversations to keep up with giveaways and reviews
  • RHR Forums

Let's FIGHT!

@Squeetard:

Greetings all. I see a lot of members of HWC on here. I hope this place is not as tight assed and rigid as HWC, probably the main reason I left that site. It is the internet after all, let's not take ourselves too seriously. Anyhoo. I'll contribute what I can.

We have a good group here but people will not be banned for drinking comments or things like that like other places hell we have a section dedicated to booze haha

@Squeetard:

Greetings all. I see a lot of members of HWC on here. I hope this place is not as tight assed and rigid as HWC, probably the main reason I left that site. It is the internet after all, let's not take ourselves too seriously. Anyhoo. I'll contribute what I can.

Oh shit! There goes the neighborhood. :P

Glad to see you found the place mate.

Only thing 'we' have a stick up our arses on is trolling newbies looking for help. Anyone pissing on someone looking for help gets banhammered. Other than that the mod squad here are much more laid backhell they even made ME one. ;)

The only one HWC problem I see from my point of the view, is the prohibition to religious debate. It makes some sense, because religion is not based on facts, but on belief. And you can't argue with belief.

However when belief is not based on fact, then that is just this - belief. And therefore people should not feel offended when someone disagree of challenge their beliefs. After all, we all believe in something, and that it is.

Speaking about forum fight - have you ever heard about ForumWars? :)Funny to play and try - even my slow-arse computer (graphic in PCI mode really suxx, other that that I would not be complaining so much) can play it well!

http://www.forumwarz.com

;)

@GaK_45:

@Squeetard:

Oh shit! There goes the neighborhood. :P

Glad to see you found the place mate.

Only thing 'we' have a stick up our arses on is trolling newbies looking for help. Anyone pissing on someone looking for help gets banhammered. Other than that the mod squad here are much more laid backhell they even made ME one. ;)

Or posting anything illegal / deviant etc etc.Stay within that and I am sure things will be okay.

-Shiver

Not only hilarious, but practical! Because there is no way or reason to fight each other over opinions, prejudices or just willfull ignorance. Therefore - to the cripples fight it goes ;D

but sometimes is also good to push the borders, because only pushing could expand them ;)

@trodas:

Not only hilarious, but practical! Because there is no way or reason to fight each other over opinions, prejudices or just willfull ignorance. Therefore - to the cripples fight it goes ;D

but sometimes is also good to push the borders, because only pushing could expand them ;)

My father actually has one of those:

@Squeetard:

Heheheh, there's a few people that have been chased away

Arinoth - heheh, looks like your father is prepared well! :) Gotta buy bigger one too ;D But there are other things to take care first, but it is on my TO-DO list ;)

GreatBigAbyss -

HWC - Heheheh, there's a few people that have been chased away

True. That gotta remind me of AkG - IIRC he got sucked in the the flame that erupted around C(lie)mate (recommended search on ScrewTube thing) and it was not accepted well by other mods and I feel partly responsible for this, because I was the one that posted the informations, that heated the discussion in first place, never taking into account that many people can act immaturely (some things are - for some people - like a religion, so, TABO that others cannot touch it, not even with ten foot pole) Gotta invite him there!

supaflyx3 - agreed, competiton is good anyway! :)

"Competition is a sin!" -John D. Rockefeller

some people will always disagree ;D ;D ;D

• 2 weeks later...

@supaflyx3:

Glad to see more people moving over from HWC, maybe they'll take a hint when most of the regulars stop visiting.

Keep in mind that a forum if it intends to grow and gain sponsorship from bigger manufacturers needs to have a certain level of civility to it. If you lose control of that on a forum, you lose the very key that keeps a site running and operational (review site at least). I think too many people fail to realize that rules are put in place for a reason.

"Those who do not learn from history, are damned to repeat it"

-Shiver

@Squeetard:

I've been posting more over at the Anandtech forum lately. Anything goes there it seems, and this is a major tech site. I don't know why HWC has to try and be so politically correct, they are fighting a losing battle and driving away long time users.

I agree and disagree haha(Love doing that)

Agree: there has to be more space to breathe and become a person not just a automated reply behind a keyboard we are people with emotion and personalities that should shine through not be beaten with a ban stick(tho I am begging to use it, thinking the Ban Rifle where when we ban you we blast a hole in your display pic and put BANNED)

Disagree with free hatred for all, Think new people and even long time forumers need to be able to ask a question without being called a total idiot but still if that is made clear I dont see it happening to much:) plus I am dying for a Brewery review so feel free to let the shit fly when I do those as like america you need a beer you are willing to fight for and any other is garbage haha.

@Squeetard:

I've been posting more over at the Anandtech forum lately. Anything goes there it seems, and this is a major tech site. I don't know why HWC has to try and be so politically correct, they are fighting a losing battle and driving away long time users.

The problem with being a user versus being behind the scenes can be a stark contrast. While not totally disagreeing with you, I can say that you do not see the full picture and as a result you don't have enough information to make a firm conclusion either way.

It would be nice (and we will get that here) to have more of a free hand in the matters of the forum. But if you want a lot more credibility you need to have a line in the sand somewhere.

-Shiver

@Shiver:

The problem with being a user versus being behind the scenes can be a stark contrast. While not totally disagreeing with you, I can say that you do not see the full picture and as a result you don't have enough information to make a firm conclusion either way.

It would be nice (and we will get that here) to have more of a free hand in the matters of the forum. But if you want a lot more credibility you need to have a line in the sand somewhere.

-Shiver

I agree totally. Heated debate where a few names may get called (noob, asshat) may be okay, but hate speech and the like should be insta ban.

I don't know why HWC has to try and be so politically correct, they are fighting a losing battle

I did not like political correctness at all. IMHO it is just another name for plain and simple censorship. As good and fresh example - Christmas should remain Christmas and not being called holidays.The line (in sand) of debating should reflect current new relevations as well. Eg. it is not anymore even "contraversial" that there is no WMD in Iraq, is it? I mean over past few years many long-time percieved "conspiration theory" myths are being called upon with hard evidence and these "nuts" found to be quite right.

For example for years there are "conspiration theory" that USA govt are spying on us. Everyone are "conspiration theoretics", because it would be unconstitutional, right? Well, yenah right. They are doing it. Thx to Mr. Snowden we are now also well avare of that.

So, things are changing a lot and fast. The "line in sand" should reflect that, just to not get out of the reality... I mean... how long it took, that it was the "conspiration theory" that the Gulf of Tonking incident never happen? It was decades. Now it US Navy openly admit "there was no North Vietnamsee attack that night" on their website, when 55k US soldiers are dead and estiminated about 2 millions of Vietnamsee, Kanbodians, Laosans... are also dead and the war is long time over.

Another good example is the recenty IPCC admiting, that there is "no global rise in temperatures" (tough yes, extremes are more common here and there, globaly the planet is not warming up), so there should be some reflection on that fact too. There are not anymore tolerable to dismiss these facts as "conspiration nonsense."

Heated debate where a few names may get called (noob, asshat) may be okay, but hate speech and the like should be insta ban.

I think that when I (or anyone else for that matter) resort to call someone noob or just using any other names, then it just prove, that I lose my argument and cannot back it with facts.I did not say that people that act like this should be banned, but for namecalling I would be giving some warning points, like changing the avatar for week or so, that will reflect that the person in question did not handled the discussion well.

That it IMHO important, because when we start do namecalling, then the arguments are useless anymore and that is the end of any discussion.

I mean - with my limited vocabulary I tryting to say something - if the discussion should be informative, for something and allow anyone to learn from it anything, then we have to stick to the facts. Using insults (no matter how mild) is steering the debate to namecalling and that is just useless.

There is a great vid on ScrewTube about it - more precisely, it show how dangerous is to even allow people to call other people "conspiracy theorist":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BJA1R8YIHk

I recommend it very much, even it touch very dangerous and contraversial subject.

I could not have put it any better that Aaron Hawking did it. It make me realize that when I want or try use any slur, then I already lost the debate. If I cannot back my point of view by facts, then I simply have to admit that it is just my opinion that I present and it could (and w/o proof it likely is) - wrong.

@Squeetard:

@Shiver:

-Shiver

I agree totally. Heated debate where a few names may get called (noob, asshat) may be okay, but hate speech and the like should be insta ban.

I agree, some smaller words and or common phrases I think should be acceptable.However when things degenerate that is when there needs to be some sort of action. While some forums seem to give members the run of the barn so to speak, I can honestly say that that is directly reflected in the way manufacturers deal with them as well. Anandtech does have some advantage in having a larger membership base than other forums out there, but they do suffer in some ways where some Manufacturers don't deal with them, or they become tier 2 on the list for review samples and such.Again, while their are problems on HWC that is strictly because the site is literally in the middle stage of its life. Not quite enough people to 'dilute' the views vendors give, nor is it so small where it shouldn't matter one way or the other.

Another part you do not see, is on HWC the forum is filled with 'complainers'. People who at the slightest whim PM the entire staff because someone 'said mean things to me'. Again, two sides to the coin.

-Shiver