It looks like I am in the market for a new smartwatch as my current one, the Moto 360 Gen 1 seem not able to stay on or last a full day (turning off at random times, sometimes 75% battery, sometimes 25% battery, or whenever I toggle bluetooth on/off). I was hoping I could have it limp until at least July before replacing it, however with the reliability of the smartwatch in question (and with the missus blessing) I'm on the market for a new one. The only reason I was trying to shoot towards July is that would have made the 3 year mark of owning the watch and 3 years for what I paid for it (great sale) seems like the good lifespan of an early smartwatch.

What I typically use my smartwatch for is for notifications, time, minimal fitness (aka heart rate monitoring and steps tracking), replying to messages, etc. I'd consider it normal to light use.

So far I've been looking at the following smartwatches (as I like the round face) though can't seem to decide which I'd rather have. Budget is around 400 CAD but if I can get something that would be good for me at a lower price, I'm all in.

Samsung Gear S3 - I fear that this one is going to be replaced later in the year with the Gear 4.
Huawei Watch 2 - No Canada warranty, US only, watch itself looks a bit 'cheap'-ish looking.
Ticwatch E - Watch itself looks a bit 'cheap'-ish looking.

All comments, questions, etc appreciated and I'll try to respond back when able to, especially since eBay has 15% off orders over 50$ today might be a quick trigger purchase...

I have no experience with smart watches, other than keeping an eye out for when they will meet what I want them to do before buying (for me the battery life is the critical thing I want better before buying). That said, given you have kept the last one almost 3 years, I wouldn’t suggest bothering with a watch you don’t like the looks of now (aka cheapish). That feeling is only going to get stronger over time and I would suspect lead to purchase regret.

Views