I am having second thoughts. Recently I set in motion a plan to move from a 6700k to an 8700k on my ASUS Z170-A board. I need some more power and I thought this would be the cheapest and maybe "fun" way to get more power. However now I am not so sure. There is a real risk I brick my z170 board flashing a modded bios to it. I have been thinking I should have a Z390-a board on hand in case worse comes to worse and the z170-a dies. After all I NEED my rig running. 🙂 That of course means potentially spending 250 on a new board and maybe killing a working board?? I am not sure my level of enthusiasm is where it used to be with puter parts and tinkering. What to do what to do. Wait for Zen2 (16C32T on x470)? Hold fast with little ol 6700k? Throw caution and money to the wind and try the 8700k and see where that takes me?

So ya. I have asked a question that only I will be able to answer in the end. Just thought I would bounce it off of some other people as it is snowing, cold and I am bored.

Always happy to use free shipping Tuesday to lend you a h270 board as a spare. I would wait to be honest as the 6700k is still great. That being said I just upgraded my 6800k to a xeon 40 lane equivalent so i have no rights to talk haha

Sorry to tell you that promo has expired. It was for the month of October only. I used it all four times I had the chance while it was running 🙂

My use case is such that my 6700k is always running at ~20-30% usage. I need more cores. The 8700k I have coming will do 5.1-5.2 according to its seller... I have no idea what I am doing anymore. 😞

last edited by Mightyunit

Simple sell the 6700k/Z170 and get a used if possible z370 board. Ride that for a while at a minimum loss. Then if so inclined switch over to Ryzen2 in April/ May when available. I believe it's possible to lose both the z170 and 8700k if unsuccessful and as I posted in your other thread I haven't seen in my reading any success with that particular board.

@Mightyunit said in Bad time to change HW?:

Sorry to tell you that promo has expired. It was for the month of October only. I used it all four times I had the chance while it was running 🙂

My use case is such that my 6700k is always running at ~20-30% usage. I need more cores. The 8700k I have coming will do 5.1-5.2 according to its seller... I have no idea what I am doing anymore. 😞

What are you running that is constant 20-30% cpu?

Sorry for the slow reply. I am running Security Monitor Pro. It monitors my IP cams.

I have modded and flashed a bios to my z170-a but I am having issues with the LGA pin mod on my coffee lake cpu. I hope to report soon that I have an 8700k working on my Z170-A. If not I will want to buy a z370/390 board.

@Mightyunit nice good job on the bios mod and good luck with the pin mod as I know those tiny pins are not great to work with.

keep us posted 🙂

It looks to be an issue remaining within the bios that I hope to soon get straightened out. I was reassured that it is not the mod to the CPU that is currently at fault.

Views