SILICON POWER XPOWER AIRCOOL DDR4-3200

SAME GREAT TASTE, NOW LESS FILLING
Read now

ARCTIC LIQUID FREEZER II 360 REVIEW

With only a few minor missteps to mar an otherwise perfect execution the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 is sure to satisfy not only the overclocking ‘performance is everything’ crowd but also the buyer looking for a great value.
Read now

SILICON POWER A55 M.2 1TB Review

Thanks to its M.2 2280 form-factor the A55 series also appears to be tailor made for NUC’s, older laptops, and similar small form-factor devices.
Read now

Accelero III VS Kraken G12

Epic GPU Deal - Repairing and Upgrading Asus Strix Cards
Watch now

Arctic Z1 Gen 3 Review

The Z1 was a simple install and setup and works very nicely, the hub is simple but sleek and in all reality, Arctic did a great job.
Watch now
News Ticker
  • Join us in our daily conversations to keep up with giveaways and reviews
  • RHR Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mightyunit

Better For VR, 8400 or 6700k

I need to build someone a mochine for VR. The goal is no less than 90FPS correct? Between an 8400 and a 6700k which one is better? 6700k can clock to 4.6ghz but the 8400 is two more real cores however lower clocks. Thanks in advance!

I think it would be game dependant. As you mentioned, the extra actual cores and the better IPC of the newer CPU are going to help in some, while others may work better with hyperthreading or raw frequency. My gut says 6700k OC, but I am not sure.

I agree, think the 6700k would be the way to go but if you went for something like the 9000 series there would be the option of more cores as you go but honestly think both will cover for you, key is a good gpu and lots of ram as well as nvme for VR to keep those frames from dropping :)

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I have both the 6700k and the 8400 on hand so I will have to choose between them. Sounds like you two both lean towards the 6700k but that the 8400 should be good as well, correct?

The NVMe suggestion caught me off guard. I had been thinking of an 860evo but I could get an Intel 660p. I should go with the Intel SSD then??? Thanks!

@Mightyunit said in Better For VR, 8400 or 6700k:

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I have both the 6700k and the 8400 on hand so I will have to choose between them. Sounds like you two both lean towards the 6700k but that the 8400 should be good as well, correct?

The NVMe suggestion caught me off guard. I had been thinking of an 860evo but I could get an Intel 660p. I should go with the Intel SSD then??? Thanks!

There are some dirt cheap nvme like the new Crucial p1 very low cost and extremely fast for vr loading times :)

8400 will be more than enough so you should be good to go

Thanks I have not heard of the crucial P1. I will look for it

We have done 2 reviews on it :) https://www.realhardwarereviews.com/crucial-p1-raid-review/https://www.realhardwarereviews.com/crucial-p1-1tb-value-comes-to-the-nvme-marketplace/

hope that helps

great thanks. I know about the HP EX920 and now the Intel 660p as the cheap NVMe ssds. Now I can add the Crucial P1 to that list. I will say that as of today Nov 19 2018 the ex920 is the cheapest then the 660p followed by the p1.

not heard of the crucial P1.

My recommend for ssd is WD black for nvme, or mx500 for sata based. Obviously prices at purchase time can push you to other options. These are both very good in their respective price ranges.

Going with the 8400 in the long run gives you an upgrade path, whereas the platform will be dated and maxed out with the 6700k. You won't go wrong with either IMO.

The Gen 2 WD Black is very, very good kit. Right up there with (and maybe better than) Intel 760p and Samy Pro.

The intel 660p and P1 are almost identical in performance. Both are decent. Pick whichever is cheapest. :)

Where I worked under HP management before and after Compaq got borged by them (did high end contract Compaq server TS'ing... basically the guy who answered when a phone monkey would pass you off to someone, and then that peep hit a 'ook ook... no idea' wall). I am NOT a fan of HP. Their RMA process for a simple hdd failure on a million dollar plus contract... was pages. On Compaq side... Two questions: is it dead, and how fast do you want us to replace it. Left shortly thereafter when I saw the writing on the wall. I would go AData before HP. ;)

For sata ... its hard to beat the value of the MX500 series.

Oh I agree fully lucyjohn987. Game load times is VERY variable and depends a LOT more on how lazy the devs were vs it being a storage bottleneck. My rule of thumb is... NVME will always be faster. Sometimes that dif will be slight though ;)