News Ticker
  • Join us in our daily conversations to keep up with giveaways and reviews
  • RHR Forums

Seagate 12TB BarraCuda Pro: Bigger, Faster, and Better in RAID (Review)

For a nice while now ancient spindle and platter-based storage has been all but ignored by most people. Some because Solid State Storage is all the rage, some because of their perceived lack of performance. Some just because few are as excited by the advancements that are being made in this rather mature field as we are. This is a shame because companies like Seagate are literally rewriting the rules of what is and is not possible via spindle and platter technology. Take todays focus, the Seagate BarraCuda Pro 12TB hard disk drive, for example.

Almost like clock-work Seagate has revamped and revised their BarraCuda Pro series to make it not only one of the most advanced consumer orientated drives available, but also one of the better value series available. This may sound counter intuitive to say the least when talking about a single storage solution that commands an asking price of $460 but that is exactly what the 12TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro brings to the table.

intro - Seagate 12TB BarraCuda Pro: Bigger, Faster, and Better in RAID

As we have said in the past the term value is not based upon a single metric but the combination of all other metrics. First up is this asking price works out to a measly 3.8 cents per Gigabyte. Next is the performance. This mere hard disk drive comes with sequential 250MB/s performance rating that is backstopped by surprisingly peppy smaller and random file performance thanks to 256MB Multisegmented Cache Technology, and eight 1.5TB platters.

alt text

Beyond performance and price, the Seagate BarraCuda Pros asking price is further improved by the fact it comes with a five instead of three warranty which also comes with free Data Recovery Services. Equally impressive is it comes with a generous 300TB a year workload rating and is even rated for 24/7 usage. All told to get the same warranty, same capacity, and similar performance from Western Digital consumers have to look at their prosumer line or even their business orientated line-up. Yes, on paper the Seagate BarraCuda Pro has indeed a lot to offer.The only real sticking point is that, like all mega capacity hard disk drives, it does cost a pretty penny. This does beg the question on whether or not all these perceived benefits do in fact translate to real-world tangible benefits. After all, there is a huge difference between perception and reality. So, lets see what the 12TB Cuda Pro really has to offer.

In that vein, and thanks to Seagate, in the coming pages we will not only show you what the 12TB offers over the 10TB BarraCuda Pro model, but will also show the RAID enthusiasts what this model has to offer. Then with both single and RAID numbers in hand we can help you make an informed decision on whether or not the 12TB BarraCuda Pro not only justifies its asking price but if is indeed as good a value as it appears to be on first blush. That is indeed a lot of ground to cover so lets dig in.

Read Full ReviewFacebookRetweet, Comment Like

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Newest Posts

• Hello everyone, now I am choosing between several laptops, but maybe you can advise me something better my priorities: mostly just for home, for watching movies and YouTube, for some light games (a couple of times a month), and sometimes for work (mostly google drive, various marketing resources, nothing heavy) around 600 USD 15.6" or more Acer, Asus? Order on Amazon? Windows prefarable 256 SSD or more. I will leave links of those notebooks that I am thinking about now https://www.amazon.com/Acer-A515-44-R41B-Hexa-Core-Processor-Graphics/dp/B087N4ZRXV?ref_=Oct_s9_apbd_simh_hd_bw_b2N0e&pf_rd_r=61THRATEMWAKYQZB6J7M&pf_rd_p=121acd9e-769b-5530-ae68-5a92ebd704d6&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=565108 https://www.amazon.com/Acer-A515-55-56VK-i5-1035G1-Fingerprint-Keyboard/dp/B087RTV311/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&qid=1613042065&rnid=13896617011&s=computers-intl-ship&sr=1-10 THANKS!   Cali employee monitoring software
    • Hopefully, everyone can get this card before the bots do. Full unboxing of the new Nvidia 3060 Ti Gaming X Trio from MSI below:  
    • Rest assured that no matter if you choose a mainstream Core i5, a high-end Core i7, or the enthusiast Core i9 that you will be getting a very good to excellent processor. All three offer a lot of performance without all that much upfront cost. It just is those who want to get the best, most optimal, option for their needs should put more time, thought, and effort into their decision. So do your homework. Think about what you actually do with your system. Then come to your own conclusions. Not what anyone, including us, tell you what you should be buying. Doing otherwise may result in a rather major disservice to yourself and your next system.   Read the full review below: https://www.realhardwarereviews.com/intel-core-i7-10700k-core-i5-10600k-review/
    • In summary, if you are looking for a good deal, do not need it to be ‘the fastest’ PCIe 3.0 drive going, and do not plan on hammering it with more than 50% of the free capacity at one time, the Silicon Power UD70 2TB is a good option at a great price. Just understand the target demographics it was built for and the compromises required to hit its low asking price before you track one down.   Read the full review below:  https://www.realhardwarereviews.com/silicon-power-ud70-2tb-review/
    • In summary, if you are looking for a good deal, do not need it to be ‘the fastest’ PCIe 3.0 drive going, and do not plan on hammering it with more than 50% of the free capacity at one time, the Silicon Power UD70 2TB is a good option at a great price. Just understand the target demographics it was built for and the compromises required to hit its low asking price before you track one down.   Read the full review below:  https://www.realhardwarereviews.com/silicon-power-ud70-2tb-review/