Accelero III VS Kraken G12

Epic GPU Deal - Repairing and Upgrading Asus Strix Cards
Watch now

Arctic Z1 Gen 3 Review

The Z1 was a simple install and setup and works very nicely, the hub is simple but sleek and in all reality, Arctic did a great job.
Watch now

TRIBIT FLYBUDS Review

DURABILITY MEETS USABILITY
Read now

SILICON POWER BLAST PLUG BP82 Review

In either case we consider the Blast Plug BP82s to be a great addition to Silicon Powers current wireless earbud lineup.
Read now

Rugged BOSS SSD Review

The LaCie Rugged BOSS SSD in unabashedly focused on a very specific buyer: the professional.
Read now
News Ticker
  • Join us in our daily conversations to keep up with giveaways and reviews
  • RHR Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bond007

Is my laptop dead?

Long story short here is whats going on:- did a fresh install of windows- the computer would not full shutdown or restart (required a hard power down)- trouble shot everything as best I could- while trouble shooting I eventually tried a windows refresh (or whatever its called where it keeps your personal stuff). This resulted in it saying it was unable and went back to the previous state. - after the next shutdown the computer now posts and within a second or 2 re-posts...etc etc.- cant get into bios- ram has been swapped, ssd confirmed functional, old Hdd installed...all with no effect. Pulled everything apart and there is nothing visibly wrong. CMOs battery pulled and reinstalled.

Any ideas on what could be going on, or isold faithful dead? Its an acer 5560.

Hmmmm that does not sound good, can you flash the bios? Also with acres I have had the issue of small parts coming loose inside the chassis and shooting out. I recommend, removing the board, resesting if possible the CPU then while the board is out use isopropyl 99 and a baby toothbrush to clean around the whole board.

Also check the ports to see if there is anything foreign other than "made in China in any of them just a simple thing but I have had a busted usb sleeve stuck in a port that glitched it all out before.

If all else fails send here and happy to look at it after ces haha

@Bond007 said in Is my laptop dead?:

acer 5560.

Did you try f2 key to get into BIOS, what did you use to test hard drive to make sure it does not have a failed sector. Try just installing windows on ssd with out mech HDD plugged in.If you can clone your drive or image it. then do fresh install of windows. Then put image back on that drive of yours.

Took a pretty good look at everything while I had it pulled apart. Couldnt see anything wrong myself. Cleaned the cpu and repasted while I was at it.

F2 is what normally brought me to bios...whether I press it or not, it essentially goes back to power off and post screen again before loading the bios. The laptop only had an ssd in it. Cant even get into bios with the ssd, with no hard drive installed, or with the original windows 7 HDD.

My guess is the bios has somehow been corrupted, but I really dont know. If I cant get into bios, I dont know if its possible for me to do anything. Maybe a dead cmos battery?

@Bond007  My suggestions may be stupid but here I go anyway. Perhaps try unplugging the SSD, HDD and DVD rom drive. Also if there are more than on sodimm maybe try posting with only one sodimm. Anyway, try to post the lappy with the least amount of required hardware attached.

The only other thing I can think of is to flash the bios... does this help?

9 hours ago, sam1232 said:

try starting you computer directly from bios settings

6 hours ago, Mightyunit said:

@Bond007  My suggestions may be stupid but here I go anyway. Perhaps try unplugging the SSD, HDD and DVD rom drive. Also if there are more than on sodimm maybe try posting with only one sodimm. Anyway, try to post the lappy with the least amount of required hardware attached.

The only other thing I can think of is to flash the bios... does this help?

Thanks guys, but...This was a thread necro from almost a year ago...I already replaced it.