Tweaking my Y530 - Any advise? i7 8750H and GTX 1050Ti

So I didn't take long to start playing with trying to optimise my recent laptop purchase. With a bit of googling I have found myself using throttlestop and afterburner for the CPU/GPU respectively. Stock the temps where mid 80s on the cpu and mid 60s on the gpu in game. Loading just the CPU had it approaching 90.

CPU - using throttlestop I have it on -140mV (obviously I worked towards finding this value), which has stopped me from being power limited on the cpu and stopped power throttling. However, for gaming I have left the undervolt, but limited the CPU to max 3.2ghz. With these adjustments (stock fan profile), the CPU is now maxing out in game at mid 60s. I am monitoring CPU usage in game to make sure it isn't limiting me...so far it isn't even close.

GPU - again, after googling how to make the 1050 Ti more efficient on a locked down gpu I found out about modifying the voltage/frequency curve with afterburner. I am still tweaking for now, but so far I have the curve going to a peak of +172mhz over the baseline curve. This gets me 1860 mhz in game at 0.975v and not hitting the power limit (which was reducing it from reaching this max boost state). With the stock curve it wasn't reaching this frequency until 1.13v. Also, the memory is at +100 (200 effective). Still tweaking both of these, but so far it is getting me higher fps (didn't write down the differences though), by maintaining max boost freq and temps are 2-3 degrees lower (low 60s).

Anyone else played with a 1050 Ti (mobile) or 8750h, and if so what are your results? Anyone else have any advice/pointers? First time using throttlestop or this curve editor.

Hmm really wish I could be more help where but still using a 4710qm and 970m 😞

I do have a lenovo on the repair bench with similar specs I'll see if I can do some testing and benching once it's repaired.

That would be great if you get a chance!

Put a bit of time into the laptop. Update is:

CPU - had to back off to -137mv

GPU - After some errors and googling I got the OC scanner working for my laptop. I then fine tuned the curve to limit the max voltage to 0.943v, where the GPU can get 1885mhz core. At that voltage it is a +217mhz OC, but compared to the stock curve it is a roughly +40mhz OC, but at a much lower voltage (power, voltage and thermal throttling are not even close to a factor now). Left the memory at +100mhz (200 effective)...haven't played with it any more from there.

1050Ti Optimized.PNG

last edited by Bond007

If it is still for sale tomorrow I'll pickup rhr y520 for $600 with a 7700 and 1050 ti and try some of your tweaks 🙂

Sounds good. Keep us posted.

Already threw a 500gb nvme in and will put a 750gb ssd in to. After I sell my old laptop 16-32gb ddr4 going in there to 🙂

Nice. I will eventually swap the drives in mine, but it’s fine for now.

@Bond007 does yours report 4 dimm slots in cpuz and windows? Never seen this be off in two spots but everything online says 2 slots if there is 2 under the keyboard aw well that will be epic 🙂

How do you find gaming on the 1050 ti?

How much and how fast is the ram in your y530? Found a deal on 2x8gb but just need one stick happy to send you the second 1

Hmmm. I will have to fire it up tomorrow if I get a chance and check CPUZ. Don’t think I noticed that. I will let you know.

last edited by Bond007

@Soullessone21 said in Tweaking my Y530 - Any advise? i7 8750H and GTX 1050Ti:

How much and how fast is the ram in your y530? Found a deal on 2x8gb but just need one stick happy to send you the second 1

Mine is showing 2 slots in cpuz. My Y530 came with 2x8gb 2666, so I am good to go on the ram front. Very much appreciate the offer though. Hopefully your tweaking results are similarly as effective.

@Soullessone21 said in Tweaking my Y530 - Any advise? i7 8750H and GTX 1050Ti:

@Bond007 does yours report 4 dimm slots in cpuz and windows? Never seen this be off in two spots but everything online says 2 slots if there is 2 under the keyboard aw well that will be epic 🙂

How do you find gaming on the 1050 ti?

I am actually very content with the GPU for gaming. If it was my daily driver I may want a bit more, but for my uses it is pretty much perfect. I get reasonable battery life for just browsing the web / watching shows, but it is perfectly capable of running any of the "esports" type games or blizzard stuff maxed out without a sweat. AAA games I ditch demanding AA options and a couple ultra type settings that push vram use too high and it keeps things running smooth with decent fps. Also, any faster GPU would need a bigger power brick, so for travelling it becomes more of a burden.

Might as well keep the posts in this thread flowing this morning. Looking into the guts of what was actually supplied with the laptop:

Only negative (but perfectly fine for now) - the nvme 128gb is not only small, but apparently slow on writes by reviews (not verified). Reads are supposed to be fine. However, given it is only being used for OS and main apps the reads are all that really matter.

HDD - while I would rather all SSD, the 1TB supplied is showing as a seagate barracuda pro. So 7200rpm. Happy with this as my games drive.

Ram - as I mentioned earlier, it is running dual channel with 2x8gb 2666mhz. Good for me!

So the only thing on the will replace list is the nvme...no rush, and I will hopefully be able to figure out how to clone nvme to nvme before I do that.

last edited by Bond007

@Bond007 said in Tweaking my Y530 - Any advise? i7 8750H and GTX 1050Ti:

Might as well keep the posts in this thread flowing this morning. Looking into the guts of what was actually supplied with the laptop:

Only negative (but perfectly fine for now) - the nvme 128gb is not only small, but apparently slow on writes by reviews (not verified). Reads are supposed to be fine. However, given it is only being used for OS and main apps the reads are all that really matter.

HDD - while I would rather all SSD, the 1TB supplied is showing as a seagate barracuda pro. So 7200rpm. Happy with this as my games drive.

Ram - as I mentioned earlier, it is running dual channel with 2x8gb 2666mhz. Good for me!

So the only thing on the will replace list is the nvme...no rush, and I will hopefully be able to figure out how to clone nvme to nvme before I do that.

Nice the specs from the y530 to y520 are pretty close for sure. I just did not get a nvme with mine and out a 500gb one in last night. Also my ram is slower sadly 2400 and only 8gb so I will upgrade to 16gb asap.
I got the same 1tb drive and took it out last night. It will go in my other laptop I am selling as I will move one of the 750gb ssds from it into the y520.

Was reading the bt module is a little lacking in the y520 will confirm model today and order newer standard if it's a bad unit.
20190301_162013.jpg

New laptops for both of you guys... I was thinking of getting a new laptop from Lenovo but was thinking of the Thinkpad instead for lifetime usage lolol.

I am still rocking my i3 @ 2.0Ghz with single channel 8GB RAM lol.

Views