I am not feeling good, something that thankfully will pass. To help pass that time I am thinking about AMD vs Intel. Say if you wanted a cheap-ish platform as a general system. Some gaming, some editing etc etc. the only thing I come up with is Intel 9400F vs AMD 2600. They are currently priced at $239.99. Both can use cheap ~$100 boards. Intel will be less picky with the ram however... so, which would you choose and why?

Thank you

@Mightyunit Hmm not a bad plan, I am partial to Crucial and Corsair ram, but honestly most of the current name brand rams do amazingly well.

Really hope you feel better soon,

For both those CPU's those are awesome chips for sure πŸ™‚

For me I would look at MemoryExpress openbox as well as Newegg bundles as that is a good way to save a buck πŸ™‚

I will not be purchasing any of these cpus rather I am bored and trying to pass time. That said if I had to choose right now I would likely stick with Intel. I really want to like AMD... maybe with next gen Ryzen they will finally have my full attention. I do not like that ram speed and timings are crucial to peak performance.

I do prefer newegg.ca because they do not charge PST. πŸ™‚

I am still thinking about this...I know I said I would not be buying either a 9400f or 2600(x) but now I may need to get something for my kids... It will be months until AMD roles out next gen but buying now does not seem wise. I was able to get an FX8320 mobo and ram for free from a guy and I can see why he was willing to part with it. I have never owned an FX series cpu and they are not good. Currently have a 1070 paired with it and the cpu bottleneck is HUGE. hahaha. oh well, free is free.

last edited by Mightyunit

Can’t complain with that β€œprice”, but anything pre Ryzen was well behind intel. Ryzen put them back in the game.

I would still go with Ryzen if building now, but would rather wait for the next get...I do have high hopes.

Yah but I think the fx 8 core would at least get your kid gaming for the time being paired with a solid gpu

@Soullessone21 said in What would you choose?:

Yah but I think the fx 8 core would at least get your kid gaming for the time being paired with a solid gpu

Completely agree!

@Bond007 yah I did not hate the fx series as much as the rest of the world though Haha.

Going to revisit it again very soon

@Soullessone21 said in What would you choose?:

haha I have 5 kids and they all want to game at the same time or together. You are correct however, this will work that is for sure. I will say some of my kids like to play CS:GO Blacksite. It amazing to see a cpu limit a GPU soooo hard. To see the gpu usage ~40-50%, <100FPS avg, min frames in the 40FPS and LAG was surprising to me. This is at 1440P max settings. Even an G4560 crushes that. I know I know, CS:GO favors IPC and clocks but I was still very surprised. I have the FX8320 clocked to 4.3GHz FYI.

Views