Upgrading my underused family laptop for a gift

My father is running an old 14” IBM c2d, that gets maybe 5 min of battery life. We have a family Lenovo 15.6” that we barely use, so I am updating it (with some bits from my now dead acer) and giving it to him for his birthday.

It still gets around 2.5hrs of battery life. Nothing great, but a massive improvement for him.

i3 2330m (if I remember right).

Out with a 500gb toshiba 5400rpm hdd, and in goes my crucial m500 240gb. All done with a clone using Acronis.

Out with 1x4gb and in with 2x4gb Corsair vengeance.

Not going to do a fresh windows install for fear of something with the old drivers causing issues, but I will delete as much as I can and give it a couple sweeps with Ccleaner.

Anything else you think should be done?

last edited by Bond007

Photos and upgraded video drivers and bios drivers?

@Bond007 said in Upgrading my underused family laptop for a gift:

Not going to do a fresh windows install for fear of something with the old drivers causing issues, but I will delete as much as I can and give it a couple sweeps with Ccleaner.

Just a question if I may. I have installed windows 10 on many old laptops, would you please explain your concern over the old drivers being an issue?

It sounds like a great idea and your upgrades will certainly breathe new life into that lappy!

Well...I can’t confirm my suspicion, but I feel that my acer (similar vintage to this laptop) automatically installed win10 as gpt vice mbr. It caused me many issues with not fully shutting down (required hard shutdowns every time). Eventually, after much troubleshooting and hard power offs it killed the laptop. Still not positive if it’s cpu, or somehow a corrupted bios, but it just loops between black screen and initial post screen. Haven’t been able to confirm, but I am a bit nervous because of it now. Probably for no reason, but I don’t want to run into issues when it’s running fine.

@Bond007 Not a bad reason but a good idea would be the fact you have a working hdd in it already so when you throw the ssd in you could try w10 see if it works well and if not clone the old drive over the new ssd?

that is what I usually do 🙂

Good point...will see how much time I get to play with it before I need to hand it over.

Ended up doing a fresh install on the SSD. I didn’t notice any issues and it freed up quite a bit of space that was used after just a clone. Gifted on the weekend, so we will see in a week or so if any problems come up.

Thanks for the recommend to do it right! It should have been my default option.

@Bond007 no problem, myself I have a box of laptops I need to start working on asap haha

Views