The Project Yuge (mirror thread)

I started and continue to update this build on another forum, but I thought I'd post it here as well. ✌

Planned parts (January 2018):

CPU: 2xIntel Xeon Platinum 8168 (24/48 Core, total 48/96) (arrived)
Motherboard: ASUS C621E SAGE (arrived)
Graphics: 2xNvidia Titan XP (somewhere)
Memory: 384GB Crucial DDR-2666 RDIMM (arrived)
O/S Storage: Intel Optane P4800X 750GB (arrived)
Fast Data Storage: Intel Optane P4800X 750GB (on-the-way)
Main Data Storage: 8xIntel DC P4500 4TB (or 8xIntel DC 4600 4TB if I manage to work out how to mount 8 PCIE cards neatly) (still planning out)
PSU: Corsair AX1600i (arrived)
Case: Phanteks ENTHOO ELITE Grey (arrived) - This case is yuge, shipping weight is 50kg. It's even bigger than my old Lian-li V2120X. The case comes with its own hard-case.

Watercooling: (arrived)
Radiators: 2xEK Coolstream CE 420, 1xEK Coolstream CE 560, 1xEK Coolstream CE 140 (Optional)
CPU blocks: Some crap I bought from taobao
GPU blocks: EK Nickel+Acetal
Pump/Res: 2xEK, single line
Tubing: Hard front, soft back, all black.
Fans: NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM or NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM (depends on which one looks better to me)
Fittings: Primochill+EK fittings
Fan controllers: Lamptron 6CH/30W + Corsair Commander
Fan hubs: Phanteks + Silverstone

I selected the 8168 based on the much higher all-core frequency of 3.4Ghz. Although the 8180 has 28/56 cores, the all-core frequency is only 2.9Ghz. I'm not putting much hope in to the motherboards OC capabilities. It can only do BCLK and in most cases, getting a stable +10Hz on a single CPU is already considered decent. I'd imagine getting something similar with dual cpu's would be outstanding.

The motherboard only has 4xU.2 NVME, the rest will come from an ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 card mated with 4x M.2 to U.2 adapters. Technically, the motherboard should support PCIE bifurcation, but since I don't have a test bench setup yet, this remains to be proven.

The taobao cpu blocks only come with a rectangular retention plate (for boards like Supermicro). The ASUS board uses a square retention plate, I have to find a solution for this later on. I have 2U Dynatron B13 HSF's on the way in the meantime.

Some motherboard pics:
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
Intel Xeon Platinum 8168

alt text
alt text
alt text

Intel Optane P4800x 750GB
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text

Nvidia Titan Xp's
alt text

last edited by Xeven

Damn man those CPUs and SSDs each cost more than my car's haha.

Parts list looks amazing please keep up posted on how the build goes

@Soullessone21 said in The Project Yuge (mirror thread):

Damn man those CPUs and SSDs each cost more than my car's haha.

Parts list looks amazing please keep up posted on how the build goes

After more than a year of having most of the parts tucked away in a box. I think I'm "finally" going to put things together. 😬

I've also updated some parts and changed the Titan Xp's into Titan RTX as well as updated the P4500 4TB's into P4510 4TB's

IMG

last edited by Xeven

@Xeven I'll trade you a only annoying 80% of the time Guinea pig for those titans haha

Cannot wait to see this come together

@Xeven I'll trade you a only annoying 80% of the time Guinea pig for those titans haha

Cannot wait to see this come together

Your Guinea Pig? The one that looks like Einstein? 😆

You can just borrow the Titan Xp's while I'm not using them. 😝

last edited by Xeven

I loiter among the lower end of the computer part spectrum. Therefore I read these specs and I am a fish out of water... Regardless this looks to be an amazing computer. 🙂

The only thing I can think to ask is... what will you primarily use this PC for?

Probably to watch copious amounts of hentai. 😶

@LPfan4ever haha damn The self projection is so high with this one your internet history almost burnt into the forum haha. Jk

Looks like a great scripting rig for coders. Or people who need to test many VMs. Another great use is for designers.

But I would use it to game and edit videos 🙂

@Mightyunit said in The Project Yuge (mirror thread):

I loiter among the lower end of the computer part spectrum. Therefore I read these specs and I am a fish out of water... Regardless this looks to be an amazing computer. 🙂

The only thing I can think to ask is... what will you primarily use this PC for?

Anything from Altium, Solidworks and other engineering software to code compilation to running multiple VM environments for code testing etc. Oh and I can check my email on it as well.✌

I'd be happy to get it up and running actually. I bought most of the parts more than a year ago and after bench testing on a pizza box, I put it inside a container for more than a year and never fired it up again up until a couple of week ago. I even sold the original P4500s and one of the P4800X somewhere in between. 😁

@Xeven I actually know how you feel on the quick test then waiting forever to build your rig, did that with my current rig haha

keep us posted looks like it will be epic 😄

@Xeven Nice! Sometimes my computer struggles with email so I should save up for something like yours. 😉

Seriously though my 15 year son has become interested in Solid Works and is in the process of taking introductory lessons on it.

I too look forward to seeing this rig come together 🙂

Time to open up the case and check for some clearances! 😁

last edited by Xeven

damn love the case, using a phanteks case myself, great quality and easy to work with

@Xeven

A beautiful case...huge.

@Bond007 said in The Project Yuge (mirror thread):

@Xeven

A beautiful case...huge.

Apparently it's not big enough. Things are just too tight in front.

1. Almost no clearance between front fans and reservoirs

1. The motherboard barely fits (even with the SSD/reservoir tray push as far as in can go)
  2. The top radiator won't fit. The PSU cable impedes it (technically it fits without the fans, but I don't want to put the fans topside as it's not the "look" I'm trying to go for)

For #1 and #3, both can possibly be fixed by using a thinner radiators. I'm currently using 45mm radiators and using 28mm (EK-SE) or 30mm (GTS)'s will probably fix the problem. I'm just waiting for them to arrive to try out.

I could also just move the fans on the outside (and I'll have to use 15mm fans for the front), but again, not the look I'm going for. For the top radiator problem, I could also go for the drastic approach and just solder the power supply directly to the board (but I guess we haven't arrived at that point yet 😄 )

I'll try to mount the black Noctua 2000 PWM (instead of the gray Noctua 1500 redux) to see if they look better as well.

last edited by Xeven

Trying to figure out some things. Some RTX Titan shots in the meantime. 😁

Damn man those cards are worth more than My car haha

Photos looks great keep posting them 🙂

Damn man those cards are worth more than My car haha

Photos looks great keep posting them 🙂

They probably won't be worth much after I'm through messing with them. 😅

Views