Was going to buy AMD but...

Chatted with Newegg.ca... they say I am SOL

@Soullessone21

Excited. I really want to see a 3600 vs 3600X review...or a 3700X vs 3800X. See what the added tdp does with the same core count.

last edited by Bond007

@Mightyunit

Mikes has stock again. Option to buy, and they posted this in the description:

AS OF 7/7 10:00AM PST
Still lots available. These are expected to ship quickly from Canada direct to your location for fastest deliv

@Bond007

That sounds good. I still take issue with paying PST if I order from them. I think I will have to bite the bullet and pay the tax 😞

Did you end up ordering anything?

I just now ordered 32GB of this Team Group Ram πŸ™‚ I know it is not the fastest or tightest of timings but I think it should be ok. It seems to be the "right price".

I still need to order mobos and cpus.

I am tempted to buy this B450 TOMAHAWK. I am trying to keep my build(s) as cheap as reasonably possible...

@Mightyunit said in Was going to buy AMD but...:

I just now ordered 32GB of this Team Group Ram πŸ™‚ I know it is not the fastest or tightest of timings but I think it should be ok. It seems to be the "right price".

And so it begins. Haven’t read anything yet about how zen 2 handles 4 sticks of ram.

@Bond007 said in Was going to buy AMD but...:

And so it begins. Haven’t read anything yet about how zen 2 handles 4 sticks of ram.

4 sticks for two builds πŸ™‚

I have now ordered a 3600 from Canada Computers and a mobo from Newegg.ca πŸ™‚

One system down, one to go πŸ˜‹

I have now ordered a 3600 from Canada Computers and a mobo from Newegg.ca πŸ™‚

One system down, one to go πŸ˜‹

Nice. Which MOB? Another 3600, or still undecided?

I went with the MSI B450 Tomahawk. I know I know I should have gone with an X570 board but my budget is tighter than a camel's arse in a sandstorm.... I will consider returning the B450 as Newegg gives me that option. I might try an MSI X570-A PRO, what do you think?

For the second system I need a Cheeeeeeap mATX baord and they are not really available in abundance. I do not really need a 3600 for this build but what really is there to get other than that? 3400G?? meh, I really do not want Zen+...

For AMD. I am kinda partial to mid-grade and high-end ASRock. Especially on new releases. They fix problems really, really fast. For low end boards... they are all about the same. Whatever has the features that are most important to you is 'best' when it comes to low-price boards.

YMMV

last edited by GaK_45

@GaK_45 said in Was going to buy AMD but...:

For AMD. I am kinda partial to mid-grade and high-end ASRock. Especially on new releases. They fix problems really, really fast. For low end boards... they are all about the same. Whatever has the features that are most important to you is 'best' when it comes to low-price boards.

YMMV

I have no other AMD cpu to use for flashing. It limits me to boards like (lots of the MSI boards) that offer Bios Flashback or whatever each vendor calls it. I will look through asrock boards and see if there is something to consider. I will also mention that my choice of the Tomahawk is partially influenced by people (like buildzoid) saying it has above average VRM cooling.

This looks pretty good for a super cheap mATX build. Prolly does not have the correct bios on there... any ideas how I could get it updated without a Zen + cpu????

@Mightyunit if you need an older ryzen please dm me I will send you my 1200 but will need it back within a month or so πŸ™‚

I've been looking at the 3600 to replace the wife's aging Ivy i5 system, haven't gotten around to making a parts list yet though.

@Soullessone21 said in Was going to buy AMD but...:

@Mightyunit if you need an older ryzen please dm me I will send you my 1200 but will need it back within a month or so πŸ™‚

Thank you, that is a very generous offer and I will consider it. I also am considering the idea that a used i5 cpu and mobo would probably be a better choice than buying new.

@Arinoth Any chance you want to sell your wife's mobo and cpu?

What gen i5 and what is your intended use for the rig?
IMHO I will take an older CPU that is still more than 'good enough' and use the budget for other upgrades to the rig rather than a new CPU and mobo.
IE yes the new AMDs are beasts... but if an older, cheaper combo is still overkill... well will you notice all that extra power? Good enough is good enough.

@Mightyunit

That would be one of the things I would be planning on doing, is either use that as the 'back-up' combo that kicks around and sell what I believe is a sandy bridge something (I'd need to double check it) or just sell her combo and not go through the hassle to see what the specs of the back-up rig is.