ahhhh my Mobo lost a sata port??!?!?

I need to bounce my ideas or my diagnosis off of you all.

I think a Sata port on my ASUS Z370-A II died...

This evening on my main rig a HDD disappeared and at the same time my computer became laggy. Moving the mouse across the screen is laggy. Diagnosis shows that the port is at fault. Changing the sata cable did not help. The HDD is alive on any other port. As soon as the port in question is vacant then the lagginess goes away. Bad port, correct?

I would hate to RMA the board because it will be a major inconvenience of 1st world proportions!

Full system specs:
Asus Z370-a II
32GB 3200mhz
AX860i
HAF X
WD 4TB Black
WD 2TB WD20EADS
Adata SX8200 Pro 1TB
HGST 6TB Deskstar

If I recall correctly when I had an Intel board with the Cougar Point sata controller issue I experienced the same thing.

Any input??

Not 100% sure only ideas I have on this are using other ports, updating bios and drivers or the ever frustrating r m a..

IF you have free ports... wait until there is about 3weeks left of your warranty... THEN RMA it.

Things happen. So while it could be the bios, or the hdd most likely you just nuked a port. COULD be an indication of bad power but most likely just a faulty port (mobo was probably a 'monday' or 'friday' build). Of course I would take a close look and see if you and scorch marks or obvious damage. Then check bios to see if it is messing with PCH voltage.

Best guess though is just a bad solder point got borked/popped. WIth that siad... if it nukes a second one. Dont wait. RMA it. Its going south on you and will only get worse with time.

The 'sata bug' was a known issue with cougar point. Intel borked up a spec and it causes too much voltage to be pushed. Over time it nukes SATA ports. That was fixed long time ago though.

last edited by GaK_45

@GaK_45 said in ahhhh my Mobo lost a sata port??!?!?:

IF you have free ports... wait until there is about 3weeks left of your warranty... THEN RMA it.

Things happen. So while it could be the bios, or the hdd most likely you just nuked a port. COULD be an indication of bad power but most likely just a faulty port (mobo was probably a 'monday' or 'friday' build). Of course I would take a close look and see if you and scorch marks or obvious damage. Then check bios to see if it is messing with PCH voltage.

Best guess though is just a bad solder point got borked/popped. WIth that siad... if it nukes a second one. Dont wait. RMA it. Its going south on you and will only get worse with time.

The 'sata bug' was a known issue with cougar point. Intel borked up a spec and it causes too much voltage to be pushed. Over time it nukes SATA ports. That was fixed long time ago though.

The only reason I bring up the Cougar Point issue is that the symptoms I am experiencing now are similar to what I experienced then.

Thanks for the input. Oh, and the reason you suggest I should wait till the warranty is nearly up is that then I will give my self the chance a board that will work for the longest possible time???

Exactly. Though, like I said I would check the bios and see what volts it is pushing. Could be a wonky bios setting (so a BIOS upgrade would not be a bad idea).

PCH voltage is indicating 1.0V

That removes that as a potential problem. Which is good in that the other ports are not as likely to die an early death 🙂