News Ticker
  • Join us in our daily conversations to keep up with giveaways and reviews
  • RHR Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mightyunit

18th bday gift ideas

Any ideas on what to get my eldest son for his 18th birthday? I have little to know idea what I should get him. What did you get when you turned 18?

Back in the day you would get him something for his new place as they are leaving home at 18 but these days most kids don't move out till 30 haha. 

Does he have a car, or is there anything specific he is really interested in? 

What did you get for your 18th birthday? I do not recall getting anything substantial.

Some of my son's interests would be playing DCS and Technics LEGO. He makes up elaborate recreations of existing farm machinery. I am not sure my wife and I want to contribute more to those hobbies. Also no, he does not have a car.

I don't recall getting anything substantial on my 18th at all. Just another birthday from what I remember. I have no idea what to suggest if you aren't wanting to add to his normal hobbies...sorry I can't help more.

I got a nice restaurant dinner. At that point my hobbies had outgrown what my parents could afford and I can't be mad about a nice night out with family.

Thanks for the input guys. For some reason I think I should do something special... however it seems that all of us just had a normal birthday and so that does take the pressure off. 

My wife now reminds me (apparently I forget major events in my life) that my 18th birthday is also the day that my older sister was in her car crash and broke her back. She is now a paraplegic (nothing works from the arms down). I am embarrassed that I forgot that but it has been 19 years. I tend to push bad things from my memory... or perhaps it has been all 12 of those concussions... stupid sports!!!  

Wow I am very sorry to hear about your sister.

I honestly think the best gift of all is more or less what gunny said, just time together. For me I know at his age paintball and a great dinner would of been the best gift of all

You will figure it out, if not you can always take our some what okay advice

Thanks, I did not mean to bring my own thread down but am genuinely surprised I had forgot my 18th day like that.

Our family is close and I am sure we will have a good time. Food and presents will flow and it will be good ? 

Ok I am back. This thread is now shifting to: "What to get my son for his graduation?" FYI for his 18th bday we ending up getting him a three piece set of suit cases. 

He really likes his DCS. He is interested in building his own computer. That is right up my ally and so my wife and I are thinking of helping him buy some parts. 🙂 

So far he is thinking:

R5 3600

32GB ram (DCS is a ram hog)

B450 mobo 

Fractal Meshify C

500GB SSD

video card?? so expensive

PSU?? also super costly

Do you guys have any other ideas besides some (not all) money/parts for a computer? 

1 minute ago, Mightyunit said:

Ok I am back. This thread is now shifting to: "What to get my son for his graduation?" FYI for his 18th bday we ending up getting him a three piece set of suit cases. 

He really likes his DCS. He is interested in building his own computer. That is right up my ally and so my wife and I are thinking of helping him buy some parts. 🙂 

So far he is thinking:

R5 3600

32GB ram (DCS is a ram hog)

B450 mobo 

Fractal Meshify C

500GB SSD

video card?? so expensive

PSU?? also super costly

Do you guys have any other ideas besides some (not all) money/parts for a computer? 

PSU and GPU's you say 😉 we got you fam

Also specs above look great

• Like 1

Thank you! That would be a great help!!

It does seem that right now is a hard time to build. I am seeing B450 boards going out of stock, specifically the ASROCK B450M PRO4. It is my go to mobo it seems. Also B550 around the corner but will be more $. Intel 10600K would be my choice for gaming but it together with Z490 are crazy expensive!! Lastly it seems to me that NVME 1TB and 500GB SSDs are going up in price? Not good.

Seems like a great parts list. A quality PSU and a used rx580 or gtx 1070, and you are set.

Lots of parts have been steadily increasing in cost.

Make sure to get 3200-3600mhz ram.

For the motherboard I would personally wait to see how b550 motherboards are cost wise after release (so close now). But otherwise the b450 of your choice is fine.

For the SSD, the best bang for buck (IMO) is the sn550. I would try to squeeze a 1TB in if you can, since it should be enough to not have to deal with a secondary drive unless there is mass storage, or all games left installed. They are also generally the lowest cost/GB. 

Thanks for the feedback Bond007! How would the 1TB SN750 compare? That is the one we ordered. I did not read your post till after we ordered. We got the SN750 for 199.99 so it was not too much more money 🙂

It is sad to hear that B550 will cost more. I agree, I wanted to wait but he would like his puter now hahaha.

Concerning RAM we went with this. I know it is not Sammy b die but it will have to do. Also it was on sale. 

He is considering a monitor, thinking about these two: 

MSI 34" 3440x1440 100hz

LG 32" 2560x1440 144hz

What do you think??

It is dark in his room but here it is. It consists of:

ASRock B450M PRO4

R5 3600

32GB of Gskill Ripjawz 3600mhz CL16

NZXT H510i

Corsair A50

WD SN750 1TB Black

EVGA 1000W (Temporarily borrowed from another computer)

1070ti Black (Temporarily borrowed from another computer)

2X Fractal 140mm front intake fans

My son and I assembled his grad gift computer and he likes it a lot. 

A special thank you to John for helping me find the parts needed to complete this build!

20200606_112439.thumb.jpg.c23acc3fd4afd8ad06c7bbf48b89a8b4.jpg

20200606_112424.thumb.jpg.822fb15f85cba04c7cca95e534dd443c.jpg

Posted (edited)

They need to do back into the computer they came from. My son was super excited to get it built and so I borrowed the PSU and GPU from another computer. Once the 1070 and PSU come from John then we will be able to officially finish the build. 

Edited by Mightyunit
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just an update. My son purchased this monitor to compliment the computer he built. We know this is not an "A" list monitor but he does not want to (me as well) spend twice as much on the best ones. 

I will say that when he plays DCS, the 1070ti that is in there now struggles at 3440x1440. He purchased a 1070 from John and it arrived the other day. We will have to install it and see how it does. DCS is a money hole IMO! Free to play but costs a lot to run! 🙂 😞 

monitor.jpeg

Edited by Mightyunit