SILICON POWER A55 M.2 1TB Review

Thanks to its M.2 2280 form-factor the A55 series also appears to be tailor made for NUC’s, older laptops, and similar small form-factor devices.
Read now

Accelero III VS Kraken G12

Epic GPU Deal - Repairing and Upgrading Asus Strix Cards
Watch now

Arctic Z1 Gen 3 Review

The Z1 was a simple install and setup and works very nicely, the hub is simple but sleek and in all reality, Arctic did a great job.
Watch now

TRIBIT FLYBUDS Review

DURABILITY MEETS USABILITY
Read now

SILICON POWER BLAST PLUG BP82 Review

In either case we consider the Blast Plug BP82s to be a great addition to Silicon Powers current wireless earbud lineup.
Read now
News Ticker
  • Join us in our daily conversations to keep up with giveaways and reviews
  • RHR Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Soullessone21

AMD Radeon RX 580 Double Dissipation - Not Dead Yet!

The AMD RX 580 was released all the way back in 2017 and due to the mining card shortages, the price was quickly inflated far over its launch price. Fast forward to late 2019 and many brands relaunched their RX 580s with high clocks and very reasonable prices. 

Due to this today we look at the xfx double dissipation RX 580 8gb. A solid offering if the price is right but it is not without direct competitors or options to weigh. The new Rx 5500 xt and 1650 super will trade blows back and forth and can be found in some cases for less or more. Keeping one's eye out for the best deal and best-added features are key. 

I still love XFX! Way back in 2010 a 6850 with their then "double lifetime" warranty was a no brainer. Mining actual bitcoin, dominating the island of Panau, suicide overclocks to 1012MHz from a stock 775MHz...those were the good old days for the little guy.

Fast forward 10 years and the market has changed radically. Double lifetime warranties like XFX's are long gone. Mining crypto became a convenient foil for manufacturers to justify ridiculous GPU prices. AAA games are graphics intensive because they can be, but the gameplay isn't any more compelling. Any hidden overclocking potential has been taken off the table and/or priced accordingly. 

Kudos for taking a look at these RX580s. I suspect there's still a market for a serious GPU that costs less than a console and offers a bit of "future proofing" (always in quotes, I know. 😄 ) I'm fairly skeptical about buying a used AMD card because of the potential of it having run 24/7 in a poorly maintained crypto mining rig, even though the aforementioned 6850 mined actual bitcoin in 2010 and is still running great!

1 hour ago, eunoia said:

I still love XFX! Way back in 2010 a 6850 with their then "double lifetime" warranty was a no brainer. Mining actual bitcoin, dominating the island of Panau, suicide overclocks to 1012MHz from a stock 775MHz...those were the good old days for the little guy.

Fast forward 10 years and the market has changed radically. Double lifetime warranties like XFX's are long gone. Mining crypto became a convenient foil for manufacturers to justify ridiculous GPU prices. AAA games are graphics intensive because they can be, but the gameplay isn't any more compelling. Any hidden overclocking potential has been taken off the table and/or priced accordingly. 

Kudos for taking a look at these RX580s. I suspect there's still a market for a serious GPU that costs less than a console and offers a bit of "future proofing" (always in quotes, I know. 😄 ) I'm fairly skeptical about buying a used AMD card because of the potential of it having run 24/7 in a poorly maintained crypto mining rig, even though the aforementioned 6850 mined actual bitcoin in 2010 and is still running great!

Thanks for sharing and you have a great point there, I hate the fact life time warranties have been dropped from almost all brands yet prices are higher than ever and sadly so are failure rates. 

The 580 was a fun card to take a look at again and I agree the risk it was Stuck in a hot mining room could be there used but as long as you can get confirmation of function and then swap the compound and pads out you still 9 times out of 10 will end up with a pretty good card. Excluding the evga 1070 ti those bad boys catch fire haha. 

Thanks for your really insightful comment. I think I may still have one of those old xfx 6850s kicking around haha. 

Hope you have a great day 

38 minutes ago, Bond007 said:

What?!?

Their black edition ones if mined on can burn out bad but will not damage the systems but if just gamed on they seem completely fine. I never sell mined on ones as I do not want to risk damage to friends or clients systems 🙂

2 hours ago, Soullessone21 said:

Their black edition ones if mined on can burn out bad but will not damage the systems but if just gamed on they seem completely fine. I never sell mined on ones as I do not want to risk damage to friends or clients systems 🙂

Good to know. 

as for the 580, completely agree that they are great 1080p cards if you get them at the right price.

1 hour ago, Bond007 said:

Good to know. 

as for the 580, completely agree that they are great 1080p cards if you get them at the right price.

Did not mean to cause fear haha. 

Yup was trying to say "it's good still but only if found with the right combo of games and or price"