News Ticker
  • Join us in our daily conversations to keep up with giveaways and reviews
  • RHR Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bond007

Project sell the spare HP box before it is otherwise dealt with

A while ago I bought an HP SFF PC cheap because it was a great deal (actually 3...one for my TV, one for my grandparents, and this one). I stripped this one of its 2x4gb ram and 3770 to add to/upgrade my main desktop. Since that time it has been sitting in my storage room. Apparently it needs to be removed from the storage room.

Time to piece together a basic box to sell in order to recoup some $. Pretty slim pickings in my PC spare parts department (compared to some of you), however I have 2x2gb ram and an intel 120gb ssd that are both collecting dust and likely never to be used again, so they are perfect. Off to ebay (which I honestly rarely ever use), and I am getting a cheap i3 to fill the last piece of the puzzle. If I was keeping it I would have opted for an i5 (just because), however i3 are dirt cheap by the nature of everyone upgrading away from them. Also, it will be perfectly fine for a basic box. 

Once I get the i3 it should be a great general purpose browsing box. Fingers crossed it goes together without a hitch, and that I can then find a buyer.

To be continued...

Edited by Bond007

2 minutes ago, Soullessone21 said:

No bond no I have a whole book of I3 2120 i would of just gave you one haha. 

Keep us posted on full specs as it's built 🙂

Ah. I never even thought of asking. Live and learn. Got a 3220 for $15 shipped, so as long as it actually works I am not out much.

My triple dot of awesomeness is going to be the next big thing in TIM application...just wait for it.

A bit more TIM than I normally use, since the heatsink base is a bit rough.

Edited by Bond007

Well. I planned on doing a windows install tonight, but my time ended up for troubleshooting. Pc was giving 5 beeps and not booting. After some googling and playing with ram slots / sticks for 30 minutes or so I had it figured out. Only one memory channel is working...pc boots up with both sticks on a single channel, but nothing happens if even a single stick is in either of the other channels slots.

Anyone dealt with with before? Any ideas of if it would be likely motherboard or cpu?  

I have had similar issues with older dells, oddly bios updates would make all channels work right again, cannot explain why.

I would try reseating the cpu after to just in case 

7 hours ago, Soullessone21 said:

I have had similar issues with older dells, oddly bios updates would make all channels work right again, cannot explain why.

I would try reseating the cpu after to just in case 

Thanks. I didn’t have time to play or confirm 100%, but I just did a quick cpu reseat, and it in went into bios after with the ram in a proper dual channel setup...no beeping. I have never had that occur before...when I actually have a bit of time I will confirm with a windows install. Fingers crossed.

My 3rd Velcro mount in these boxes (one connected my my tv, one went to my grandparents, and this one that I originally bought to rob parts from)...all ex gov PCs from when I was in Australia. Rather than pull the hard drives before auctioning they pulled the whole drove cage. 

Edited by Bond007

Managed to get win10 pro all installed and updated last night without issues. It seems like the cpu reseat is all that was required to get the other memory channel running correctly. The box had a win7pro key on it that activated windows 10pro without a problem.

PC is ready to find a new home.

Some HP models with SB do not accept IB but since yours already had a 3770 it would not been the case. Or at least not in the original specs, maybe with bios updates. So, what's the final configuration ?

39 minutes ago, MARSTG said:

Some HP models with SB do not accept IB but since yours already had a 3770 it would not been the case. Or at least not in the original specs, maybe with bios updates. So, what's the final configuration ?

It accepted the i3 3220 fine (just needed to re-seat the cpu to fix a ram channel issue). I have on hp8200 that came with sandy bridge (my tv box), and this 8300 that was ivy bridge.

The i3, 2x2gb ram, intel 120gb ssd in the end. Basic, but it works great. My parents are actually going to have a play with it to see if they want it connected to their tv (I would rather that, than to sell.

2 hours ago, MARSTG said:

You have a low power Gopi for it, the 1030GT ?

The 1030 is in my own box (looks the same) with an i5 2400 and 8gb ram, not this one.