News Ticker
  • Join us in our daily conversations to keep up with giveaways and reviews
  • RHR Forums

Recycling miner systems to low cost gaming

Working on another trash to treasure build this one total investment under $50 

Used board, CPU, ram, gpu from miner client who is tossing them. 

Ssd and hdd used from old laptop

Case from a video we gave up on years ago got used for like $5

Psu was about $5 on eBay local pickup

Fans about $25 cuz all about matching black and white build

Now I need to load windows up and get it all tested. 

Full specs

I3 7100

Asus h270 plus prime

8gb ddr4 2133

Rx 460 4gb

120gb Kingston ssd

1tb 2.5" hdd

350 watt antec psu

Fractal case

IMG_20200129_090955.jpg

IMG_20200129_090946.jpgnice little cases with new fans

IMG_20200129_090507.jpgIMG_20200129_090532.jpgfairly clean internals, I have now hit it with the air compressor as well. 

Case is a little dinged up

Results to follow

IMG_20200129_090527.jpg

1 minute ago, eunoia said:

You're kind of a master of these micro-budget builds, but it helps to know people tossing DDR4 too. Currently trying to get an old system upgraded to Win 10 (with sound!), and I don't think I have the patience anymore.

I know exactly how you feel sadly one of the rigs I spent the last few days on between other systems just is too slow cpu wise to run windows 10.

Another rig I have that is the mentioned above one

AMD E1-2500 1.4Ghz dual core

4GB ddr3

120gb SSD

DVD Burner

ITX board powered by a 60 watt hp charger

going to throw Linux on this one and will post about my experience tomorrow due to maxing out my allowed data for my office at work (my office is in a data-center where each room on the router gets a maximum Throughput to prevent issues with latency, my 5mbs is pinned DLing updates, games and linux haha)

Trying Linux Mint Cinnamon again 🙂 

1 hour ago, Bond007 said:

I wish I knew people throwing perfectly good and relatively recent components. Sounds like a solid basic build again. Looking good!

Thanks, this one I should be able to work on more next week this week is building and loading all the rigs up, the 1156 rig I'll post later is the next for fun one need to put more ram in it. 

IMG_20200129_145149.jpg

7 hours ago, Half_Round said:

Is it safe to buy used parts?  As in what kind of life expectancy are there on various components.  What ones are safer investments?  I'm interested in doing more of this but I also don't want to flush money down the toilet.

Cpu and ram are probably the safest in my opinion. GPUs are usually pretty good, but verify fans functioning and avoiding old mined on cards being the priority (unless priced appropriately). Motherboards have more that can go wrong, and ssd die with use, so they are what I am less likely to get used. That being said, I have no issues buying them used either if the price/situation make it worth it. Power supplies I would buy used if it’s a budget build, but only if it is a quality unit and not too old. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Newest Posts

• Hello everyone, now I am choosing between several laptops, but maybe you can advise me something better my priorities: mostly just for home, for watching movies and YouTube, for some light games (a couple of times a month), and sometimes for work (mostly google drive, various marketing resources, nothing heavy) around 600 USD 15.6" or more Acer, Asus? Order on Amazon? Windows prefarable 256 SSD or more. I will leave links of those notebooks that I am thinking about now https://www.amazon.com/Acer-A515-44-R41B-Hexa-Core-Processor-Graphics/dp/B087N4ZRXV?ref_=Oct_s9_apbd_simh_hd_bw_b2N0e&pf_rd_r=61THRATEMWAKYQZB6J7M&pf_rd_p=121acd9e-769b-5530-ae68-5a92ebd704d6&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=565108 https://www.amazon.com/Acer-A515-55-56VK-i5-1035G1-Fingerprint-Keyboard/dp/B087RTV311/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&qid=1613042065&rnid=13896617011&s=computers-intl-ship&sr=1-10 THANKS!   Cali employee monitoring software
    • Hopefully, everyone can get this card before the bots do. Full unboxing of the new Nvidia 3060 Ti Gaming X Trio from MSI below:  
    • Rest assured that no matter if you choose a mainstream Core i5, a high-end Core i7, or the enthusiast Core i9 that you will be getting a very good to excellent processor. All three offer a lot of performance without all that much upfront cost. It just is those who want to get the best, most optimal, option for their needs should put more time, thought, and effort into their decision. So do your homework. Think about what you actually do with your system. Then come to your own conclusions. Not what anyone, including us, tell you what you should be buying. Doing otherwise may result in a rather major disservice to yourself and your next system.   Read the full review below: https://www.realhardwarereviews.com/intel-core-i7-10700k-core-i5-10600k-review/
    • In summary, if you are looking for a good deal, do not need it to be ‘the fastest’ PCIe 3.0 drive going, and do not plan on hammering it with more than 50% of the free capacity at one time, the Silicon Power UD70 2TB is a good option at a great price. Just understand the target demographics it was built for and the compromises required to hit its low asking price before you track one down.   Read the full review below:  https://www.realhardwarereviews.com/silicon-power-ud70-2tb-review/
    • In summary, if you are looking for a good deal, do not need it to be ‘the fastest’ PCIe 3.0 drive going, and do not plan on hammering it with more than 50% of the free capacity at one time, the Silicon Power UD70 2TB is a good option at a great price. Just understand the target demographics it was built for and the compromises required to hit its low asking price before you track one down.   Read the full review below:  https://www.realhardwarereviews.com/silicon-power-ud70-2tb-review/