News Ticker
  • Join us in our daily conversations to keep up with giveaways and reviews
  • RHR Forums

I was driving somewhere the other day and thought, "I wonder how many new computers people are building these days?"   By new I mean at least a new cpu and mobo were purchased and by "these days" I mean in roughly in the last year. I am also curious which way you went, AMD or INTEL. Feel free to share more if you like. Video cards your chose, SSDs and more. 🙂

For me it has been three. All AMD, all R5 3600. 

Thanks all! Stay safe out there! 

One build for my brother. AMD. 

otherwise probably a half dozen random upgrades. Cpu/ gpu swaps or ssd upgrades. Low volume for me. 

I consistently get tempted to redo my main rig, but it really does still suffice for me. 

With the exception of cpu upgrades or great used deals, I am solely recommending AMD CPUs now...just like a year or two ago when I was solely recommending intel. 

Not a bad question

Last year new builds Intel

a 9900k rig with Aorus everything for a graphic design buddy

AMD

3600x rig for myself 

3400g Rig for my portable gaming and review rig

3000g super low power rig working on now

Few 1600/2600 value rigs for clients and friends

a super value rig for a discord buddy used a 1500x and 350b we found at VLcanada before it sold out.

Pretty sure a few other rigs in there to. 

New parts but eol hardware some am1 rigs, 1366 tower as well as some am3+ stuff that was never opened

Do laptops count to? haha swapped a board and everything on a Lenovo to go from a i5 7xxx to a i7 7700hq and 1060 for a client to.

Probably lots of other builds in there to.

Old used stuff we would need a book 😛 

Seems to be that Intel is feeling the hurt from system builders. When I needed to chose it was impossible to beat a 3600 for $240-270 with a $100 board IMO. Intel offered nothing in the comparable price / performance range. 

Edited by Mightyunit
8 minutes ago, Mightyunit said:

Seems to be that Intel is feeling the hurt from system builders. When I needed to chose it was impossible to beat a 3600 for $240-270 with a $100 board IMO. Intel offered nothing in the comparable price / performance range. 

fully agree and the money you save from not going to intel can get you a better gpu where you will really notice the difference 

46 minutes ago, Mightyunit said:

Also agree. My brother’s build is a 3600X. Only reason for the X model was a sale for $240 shipped...couldn’t say no at that price.

9 minutes ago, Bond007 said:

Also agree. My brother’s build is a 3600X. Only reason for the X model was a sale for $240 shipped...couldn’t say no at that price.

I am using the same cpu in my main and in gaming holy crap was it a huge upgrade from the 6950x but editing it is only on par 

I will admit that I do miss the overclocks. AMD does not offer me that enjoyment. None of my 3600 OC. Well technically they all run 4.2Ghz all core so that is an OC but you know what I mean. Intel doesn't offer practical OCing either bc they are running their CPUs at the bleeding edge too. I miss the days of a 1Ghz OC. That was fun!

1 minute ago, Mightyunit said:

I will admit that I do miss the overclocks. AMD does not offer me that enjoyment. None of my 3600 OC. Well technically they all run 4.2Ghz all core so that is an OC but you know what I mean. Intel doesn't offer practical OCing either bc they are running their CPUs at the bleeding edge too. I miss the days of a 1Ghz OC. That was fun!

I agree thats why I have tons of old hardware again.

Craziest OC I have got is my 3600x can do 4.35 on all cores and threads only issue is voltage and temps would be too high so back to stock till my waterchooling shows up 

6 hours ago, Soullessone21 said:

Craziest OC I have got is my 3600x can do 4.35 on all cores and threads only issue is voltage and temps would be too high so back to stock till my waterchooling shows up 

I have a 3600 with an H110 and cannot exceed 4.2, kinda lame IMO. However the price / perf is still there and so I forgive the lack of OC. 

8 minutes ago, Mightyunit said:

I have a 3600 with an H110 and cannot exceed 4.2, kinda lame IMO. However the price / perf is still there and so I forgive the lack of OC. 

thats still not bad at all, considering at that 4.2 it will hammer through anything you throw at it

14 hours ago, Soullessone21 said:

thats still not bad at all, considering at that 4.2 it will hammer through anything you throw at it

This is true BUT... imagine if they oc'd to 5Ghz! I have some doubts that next gen parts with smaller process nodes will hit higher clocks. 

5 hours ago, Soullessone21 said:

Yah seems like we are in a cpu race again which is forcing the lack of oc headroom 

True. When sandy bridge came out and Intel had ridiculous OC head room with that range of cpus they knew they had 10+ years of clock speed headroom for each iteration of "gen". I remember having 2600k and 2500k and both could do 5Ghz! Now Intel is redlining their stuff and there is no more headroom. 

Edited by Mightyunit