Jump to content
News Ticker
  • Join us in our daily conversations to keep up with giveaways and reviews
  • RHR Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mightyunit

The rise and fall of Newegg.ca and the ramblings of some guy

Recommended Posts

I was a loyal NCIX client. I loved that place. Price Matching, VIP membership, the forum (I remember this guy Devilzzz on the NCIX, that guy was hilarious, always pushing anything physx... LOL he was a guaranteed trigger!!!), BF and Xmas sales, LTT (clearly remember his first HSF episode).... back when life was full. Enter Newegg, boy at the start they sucked! Prices were not competitive (the way I remember it anyway), no premiere membership (yet) to get free shipping and free returns without restocking, no forum ... . Newegg.ca was NO competition to NCIX IMO. Overtime Newegg caught on, little by little they improved. Premiere Membership (or whatever is was called), better pricing, Iron Egg (I think), Price Matching, they were getting it!!  NCIX now a juxtaposition as storm clouds appeared on the horizon. Customer service began to decline, Purolator dumped NCIX because of lapsed payment of accounts,  the signs were there, the fig tree was tender and the future all but certain.

How the mighty fell. As an anecdote, I remember the end of NCIX, cashing out my hoard of points getting whatever useful hardware before the impending bankruptcy. What a shame; I loved that place. I spent a lot of money there!!! All good things I guess... but at least I have Newegg. Perhaps in hindsight it is surprising they hung on to their good policies as long as they did after the demise of NCIX... I thought I found a measure of refuge in Newegg. Sure it was not nearly as good as NCIX, how could it be!?! But at least it was something. Now however, they have been bought and the ugly transformation is beginning to flower as deformed as it may be. They canned Premiere Membership and seem to be a vendor for third party sellers more and more. The last two or three orders for new parts have been from CC or Amazon (I feel dirty buying comp hardware from Amazon!).  I doubt another order will be made from Newegg.ca. Damn it.

In the end I miss NCIX. I know it is irrational to miss them as I do. I can't help it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mightyunit said:

I was a loyal NCIX client. I loved that place. Price Matching, VIP membership, the forum (I remember this guy Devilzzz on the NCIX, that guy was hilarious, always pushing anything physx... LOL he was a guaranteed trigger!!!), BF and Xmas sales, LTT (clearly remember his first HSF episode).... back when life was full. Enter Newegg, boy at the start they sucked! Prices were not competitive (the way I remember it anyway), no premiere membership (yet) to get free shipping and free returns without restocking, no forum ... . Newegg.ca was NO competition to NCIX IMO. Overtime Newegg caught on, little by little they improved. Premiere Membership (or whatever is was called), better pricing, Iron Egg (I think), Price Matching, they were getting it!!  NCIX now a juxtaposition as storm clouds appeared on the horizon. Customer service began to decline, Purolator dumped NCIX because of lapsed payment of accounts,  the signs were there, the fig tree was tender and the future all but certain.

How the mighty fell. As an anecdote, I remember the end of NCIX, cashing out my hoard of points getting whatever useful hardware before the impending bankruptcy. What a shame; I loved that place. I spent a lot of money there!!! All good things I guess... but at least I have Newegg. Perhaps in hindsight it is surprising they hung on to their good policies as long as they did after the demise of NCIX... I thought I found a measure of refuge in Newegg. Sure it was not nearly as good as NCIX, how could it be!?! But at least it was something. Now however, they have been bought and the ugly transformation is beginning to flower as deformed as it may be. They canned Premiere Membership and seem to be a vendor for third party sellers more and more. The last two or three orders for new parts have been from CC or Amazon (I feel dirty buying comp hardware from Amazon!).  I doubt another order will be made from Newegg.ca. Damn it.

In the end I miss NCIX. I know it is irrational to miss them as I do. I can't help it. 

This is rather funny as I was thinking the same thing earlier today as well as how much a miss supercom(it was one of their distributors)
I have 3 orders from Newegg right now (one deal outlet canada(Richmond and another Markham, Newegg Canada)

 

1 order has been sitting with "waybill printed and ready for pickup for 2 weeks, emailed multiple times no reply)

The other 2 are in the same status for days, no movement at all and that shipments could be any time frame, Oldest order shows it will show up on the first and is in Richmond normally with any other company 1 to 2 days away. other 2 are the 28th.

NCIX was great when the site started they had a great affiliate program that really helped us start out, Neweggs one is insane they have a disgusting affiliate program, that during busy hours it clicks off to make sure you make nothing at all, then hours later it will stat up again.

Now one thing only that Newegg did right for some time is setup Crypto early and made it nice for people like me who day trade.

 

NCIX I bought my 3870 from and tons of other gear as well as loved the sales and deals.

MemX lacks delivery options worth while, their sales sadly suck and their used and open box used to be awesome and quickly got worse and worse.

Newegg has slipped so far down hill it drives me insane, I wanted to get some hardware fast like their site said it would be but have got nothing yet which frustrates me. 

Canada computers has a horrible name but I have family who works there so I did want to show them support to but they either lack stock, insane shipping times and prices as well.

Tiger direct is dead.

I have had to swap over to friends in the USA going into Micro Center for me to get hardware as the prices even with exchange destroy the canadian companies. for example got a 2700x for $99 USD with some gifts or get it from canada when on sale for $200+ even with the exchange and shipping the savings is still over $50+ and I cannot pass that up.

Really sad to see how these IT companies have gone 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very true story. The first pc I got that was solely mine (not family), was at Canada computers in 2002 (in store...and I paid for assembly...the shame). I didn’t mind the store, but it was busy and not very friendly.

A handful of upgrades with no real depth of knowledge using random stores led me (eventually) to NCIX. I used them exclusively for a few years except for occasional shell shocker deals at newegg that were too good to pass up. Enter memoryexpress whose price beat was also too good to pass up, though selection was limited. I cross shopped a lot during this time. 
 

NCIX fell, memory express grew (as its prices became more the norm), newegg faltered to what It is now (often high shipping costs and 3rd party sellers). 
 

I now find myself also using amazon most of the time for the simplicity and prices. It feels wrong, but money (Pricing) talks. Canada computers has expanded East to Halifax though, and (when not in isolation) I find myself back in a store branded as it was when I really started my PC adventure...though this one is a much nicer and more stocked experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DirectCanada was a sister site of the NCIX and it was my go to place in those days, loved the the service, delivery with Purolator. Among other things I got my Asus M4N-72E from there together with a Phenom 2 X4 965 BE , awesome gamer at that time for those not willing to throw the money on Intel's throat. 

Personally I do like Newegg, they have a very well structured website, by comparison Amazon is a mess, IMHO, I didn't pay attention lately to the pricing structure but that can easily be done looking at pcpartpicker I guess. Overall Amazon for me is far messier to look through, but I ordered some as well and the service is great yes, but the website lacks precision. On Newegg there are a lot of filters that helps you narrow down a product or a family of products. Lately I rely more on used hardware, I find it offers best value for my hard earned dollar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MARSTG said:

DirectCanada was a sister site of the NCIX and it was my go to place in those days, loved the the service, delivery with Purolator. Among other things I got my Asus M4N-72E from there together with a Phenom 2 X4 965 BE , awesome gamer at that time for those not willing to throw the money on Intel's throat. 

Personally I do like Newegg, they have a very well structured website, by comparison Amazon is a mess, IMHO, I didn't pay attention lately to the pricing structure but that can easily be done looking at pcpartpicker I guess. Overall Amazon for me is far messier to look through, but I ordered some as well and the service is great yes, but the website lacks precision. On Newegg there are a lot of filters that helps you narrow down a product or a family of products. Lately I rely more on used hardware, I find it offers best value for my hard earned dollar. 

Completely agree about search functionality. But if you just watch for good sales, or if you know what you want and just look around at prices, I find Newegg is typically higher (sometimes it is just higher shipping prices).

Edited by Bond007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NCIX/DirectCanada was my jam! Those 25 points would really add up if you clicked there every week, and I did! If you'd said all that would be left of NCIX 10 years later was their celebrity pitch man, I'd have laughed in your face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to add to the Newegg rant,

Newegg is currently using a main 3rd party for Canada out of Markham, even if it is listed sold by newegg, I ordered 3 items that 1 showed Vancouver stock 2 Markham, the one from Vancouver still says Newegg and has fully shipped within 2 days. 

the other 2 I listed in my first comment that 1 was in Richmond/Vancouver and other Markham, Both have now switched to Markham and are listed as onedeal outlet

 

Called this company as I am now on 3 weeks with just a way bill printer. Their company is fully closed down right now and will not be shipping anything other than just printing waybills from a employees house and doing nothing more.

Newegg has already told me "not our problem call the reseller and get a refund from them"

Told them "I have 3 emails 1 a week for 3 weeks and you cannot leave any messages as they say they are fully shut down on their answering service"

Newegg "that's not our problem but you can leave them a bad review once you get the items to prevent issues like this in the future"

Me "How can I leave a review once I get it? it has never shipped and they are closed down?"

Newegg " we will have a manager call you in a few hours"

They then hung up.

Think I am officially done with newegg from this point out 😞 very disappointed as normally my orders there have gone rather well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soullessone21 said:

Time to add to the Newegg rant,

Newegg is currently using a main 3rd party for Canada out of Markham, even if it is listed sold by newegg, I ordered 3 items that 1 showed Vancouver stock 2 Markham, the one from Vancouver still says Newegg and has fully shipped within 2 days. 

the other 2 I listed in my first comment that 1 was in Richmond/Vancouver and other Markham, Both have now switched to Markham and are listed as onedeal outlet

 

Called this company as I am now on 3 weeks with just a way bill printer. Their company is fully closed down right now and will not be shipping anything other than just printing waybills from a employees house and doing nothing more.

Newegg has already told me "not our problem call the reseller and get a refund from them"

Told them "I have 3 emails 1 a week for 3 weeks and you cannot leave any messages as they say they are fully shut down on their answering service"

Newegg "that's not our problem but you can leave them a bad review once you get the items to prevent issues like this in the future"

Me "How can I leave a review once I get it? it has never shipped and they are closed down?"

Newegg " we will have a manager call you in a few hours"

They then hung up.

Think I am officially done with newegg from this point out 😞 very disappointed as normally my orders there have gone rather well

That’s terrible. You ordered stuff “sold by newegg” and they are blaming on another company? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bond007 said:

That’s terrible. You ordered stuff “sold by newegg” and they are blaming on another company? 

Yup the two orders show a 3rd party on their site now due to low stock but never heard back from Newegg going to try and process a Paypal fraud shortly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2020 at 1:43 PM, Soullessone21 said:

Time to add to the Newegg rant,

Newegg is currently using a main 3rd party for Canada out of Markham, even if it is listed sold by newegg, I ordered 3 items that 1 showed Vancouver stock 2 Markham, the one from Vancouver still says Newegg and has fully shipped within 2 days. 

the other 2 I listed in my first comment that 1 was in Richmond/Vancouver and other Markham, Both have now switched to Markham and are listed as onedeal outlet

 

Called this company as I am now on 3 weeks with just a way bill printer. Their company is fully closed down right now and will not be shipping anything other than just printing waybills from a employees house and doing nothing more.

Newegg has already told me "not our problem call the reseller and get a refund from them"

Told them "I have 3 emails 1 a week for 3 weeks and you cannot leave any messages as they say they are fully shut down on their answering service"

Newegg "that's not our problem but you can leave them a bad review once you get the items to prevent issues like this in the future"

Me "How can I leave a review once I get it? it has never shipped and they are closed down?"

Newegg " we will have a manager call you in a few hours"

They then hung up.

Think I am officially done with newegg from this point out 😞 very disappointed as normally my orders there have gone rather well

That is unacceptable to say the least. I pay with CC and if that happened to me I would be on the phone asking for a charge back!

Unfortunately I had to make an order recently from Newegg. 5 items all sold by Newegg.ca and have shipped. I would have bought from Canada Computers but everything in my cart was curbside pickup only for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My newegg mouse showed up on time and my modmymods newegg stuff was a week early.

 

the one deal stuff has yet to appear one is supposed to be here tomorrow according to ups only 2 weeks late and the second order which was rush and supposed to be delivered tomorrow is still just a waybill and was ordered now over a week ago.

hope to have more positive update tomorrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well things have gone from bad to worse,

Filed a claim as well as a paypal charge back at this point. Newegg has filed a claim to for me against their reseller but still will not refund me or swap the item to another reseller they have.

Waiting 2 more days till anything happens 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...