SILICON POWER XPOWER AIRCOOL DDR4-3200

SAME GREAT TASTE, NOW LESS FILLING
Read now

ARCTIC LIQUID FREEZER II 360 REVIEW

With only a few minor missteps to mar an otherwise perfect execution the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 is sure to satisfy not only the overclocking ‘performance is everything’ crowd but also the buyer looking for a great value.
Read now

SILICON POWER A55 M.2 1TB Review

Thanks to its M.2 2280 form-factor the A55 series also appears to be tailor made for NUC’s, older laptops, and similar small form-factor devices.
Read now

Accelero III VS Kraken G12

Epic GPU Deal - Repairing and Upgrading Asus Strix Cards
Watch now

Arctic Z1 Gen 3 Review

The Z1 was a simple install and setup and works very nicely, the hub is simple but sleek and in all reality, Arctic did a great job.
Watch now
News Ticker
  • Join us in our daily conversations to keep up with giveaways and reviews
  • RHR Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Soullessone21

ASUS VG279QM: VRR AND ELMB TOGETHER AT LAST

96122252_2612504445659979_26045743055262

It certainly is a great time to be a gaming enthusiast. Not that long ago the only way to get a monitor capable of hitting above 200Hz was go the TN route… and friends do not let friends use TN unless they have to. Since those ‘bad old days’ a veritable sea change has occurred and now TN is on life support. Thanks to some massive amounts of RnD magic, buyers can now get relatively inexpensive monitors that can refresh well in excess of 200 frames per second. Not satisfied with ‘just’ 200 or even 240Hz offerings ASUS has recently turned up the heat on the competition and released the TUF Gaming VG279QM which is rated for a whopping 280Hz… and is IPS not TN based.

Not that long ago that combination of features would have been more than enough to carry a model. Carry it right into the hearts, minds and wallets of Gaming Enthusiasts faster than Steam’s annual winter sale with the wrong prices listed. Thankfully, those days are also in the past. In the ongoing ‘refresh wars’ monitors have to be more than one or even two trick ponies.

This is why the ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QM comes with numerous other tricks up its sleeve. Tricks such as being both Adaptive Sync (though FreeSync compatible it is not FreeSync 2 certified) and G-Sync certified (albeit for NVIDIA it is certified as ‘compatible’ and not ‘G-Sync Ultimate’). DisplayHDR 400 and HDR-10 support for ultra-rich and deep color reproduction. For those who care more about reducing motion blur over screen-tearing ASUS has also managed to combine VRR with their Extreme Low Motion Blur technology (under the aptly named ‘ELMB-Sync’ banner).

Yes, the main selling feature of the TUF Gaming VG279QM is not anyone ‘got to have’ feature. It is a ‘everything but the kitchen sink’ approach to the included features. Features which promises to combine to offer buyers buttery smooth image clarity, variable refresh rate technology to minimize the need for 2K worth of video card horsepower, and not worry about being locked in to Team Red or Team Green.

That certainly is a lot to like, however as this is a 27-inch, 280Hz monitor with an asking price of about $400 USD it should not come as too big a shock to learn it is using only a 1080P and not 1440P AU Optronics panel. 27 inches of horizontal real-estate is a lot for 1920×1080’s worth of pixels to cover. For some, especially those using 1440 let alone 4K monitors, that is when they will stop and write off the TUF Gaming VG279QM. Let’s dig in and see if such knee-jerk reactions are a good idea or not.

Read the Full Review Here

Thanks for the review!

Twitch fps games would be the target market. For everyone else I think you are better off getting more pixels for your $ at the expense of some hz...especially in the 27” market.

1 hour ago, Bond007 said:

Thanks for the review!

Twitch fps games would be the target market. For everyone else I think you are better off getting more pixels for your $ at the expense of some hz...especially in the 27” market.

110% agree

everything told me 1440/4k would be great but going from 165hz 1080p 27” to a 38” 4k 75hz the difference in editing and strategy games are amazing the 4k all the way but in FPS games I feel like I not only shot myself in the foot but severed it at the knee.

higher refresh at 1080p is easier on the system and does work amazing with your eye strain with fast paced games.