Looking for AIO solution to replace laptop as HTPC

As much as I enjoy my current HTPC setup, which is a laptop connected to my receiver set in projector only mode (aka just 2nd screen) running XBMC, I'm finding I'd like a more compact and flexible setup.

The reason for this is I absolutely HATE XBMC's music player/setup, as well as the fact I'd love to be able to access Youtube, or other streaming applications without having to well go to the laptop itself, open the application and navigate. I'd rather be able to control the device with my phone/remote and just easily swap between apps.

This is why I'm thinking about going towards an AIO solution instead, such as the Pivos DS Media Player, the Ouya, etc. I quite like the idea of having an small android device where I can easily control/swap between xbmc, a better/wide assortment of music players, youtube, Netflick, etc.

Now I'm not sure what would be the best device to go with, but I know after spending years on XBMC on an htpc/computer I'd like to try something different (I did enjoy the first gen Pivos AIOS, though it was lacking some features which resulted in me returning to xbmc on an htpc).

http://products.ncix.com/detail/intel-nuc-celeron-847-1-1ghz-d0-81504.htm done and done, low cost and all kinds of awesome 🙂

Haggle NCIX down 😛 and if you need ram you just message your old buddy soul 😉

-Essentials
Status Launched
Launch Date Q1'13
Embedded Options Available No
DC Input Voltage Supported 19V
Recommended Customer Price $149.00
Description Link
Processor Included Intel® Celeron® Processor 847 (2M Cache, 1.10 GHz)
-Memory Specifications
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 16 GB
Memory Types DDR3-1333

of DIMMs 2

-Graphics Specifications
Integrated Graphics ‡ Yes
Graphics Output Dual HDMI

of Displays Supported ‡ 2

-Expansion Options
PCIe Mini Card Slot (Half Length) 1
PCIe Mini Card Slot (Full Length) 1
-I/O Specifications
USB Revision 2.0

of USB Ports 5

USB 2.0 Configuration (Back + Internal) 3 2
Integrated LAN 10/100/1000
-Package Specifications
Low Halogen Options Available See MDDS
-Advanced Technologies
Intel® HD Audio Technology Yes

This doesn't really solve my issue of running on a pc in a sense though.

Low cost and you can run any OS you want on it. Seems solved to me.

But to each their own, is there a preferred OS maybe OSX, Linux or Android?

I have no interest in running OSX or Linux on it and not everything supports Android yet by Intel.

The what? I'm going to have to google that.

Looking it over and some user reviews, seems like the product is only half or 3/4 of the way complete, if the user reviews are to be trusted.

Even actual reviews are saying the cheaper Roku 3 is better…

@Arinoth:

Looking it over and some user reviews, seems like the product is only half or 3/4 of the way complete, if the user reviews are to be trusted.

Even actual reviews are saying the cheaper Roku 3 is better…

we will soon find out 😉

Views