I am curious to hear what some peoples thoughts are on AMD bringing their mobile Kabini ASIC to the desktop market.

I mean for the price it seems like it would be a great HTPC or web browsing machine. I wouldn't use it as a gaming machine, I don't know if it supports mantle (architecture may be too old) and it has a max of x4 for the PCI-E slot, meaning even if you put a x16 card into it, it'll be throttled/limited by the x4 bandwidth.

Personally I'd love to get my hands on one of these, especially the ASRock board that has the onboard/included 19V external power input, essentially allowing you to power the system with a laptop brick, only downside to that is you can only power ONE sata drive off of the included sata power port, though if you're going that low wattage route, what do you need more than 1 hard drive or ssd in there for really?

I'll be picking one up myself. Going to use it for my bitcoin test bench as I love the low voltage and sexy slim motherboard plus the less the  $100 board apu price is AWESOME!!

Im not sold on the whole HTPC bit,  sure they are about half to a third the cost of a NUC…but there is plenty of non-NUC systems that are just as low power, just as small and just as cheap.

On the other hand as an low power 'web surfer' these look to be perfect.  Slap it in an itty bitty case that can mount to the mack of a monitor and BAM perfect 'dining room' or 'kitchen' system for looking up recipes, tweeting and even Skyping.  Plus with such a small investment...who cares if its dies in 2 or 3 years.

ASRock AM1B-ITX + Athlon 5350 make a wonderfull HTPC combo. In iddle, it eat only 18W, in full (CPU+GPU load) 29W total. Not bad, huh? In can play BlueRay videos too and it is very very small. Check this out:

There is no overclocking, but you cannot expect that, really 😉 There is no power to games, but you aren't expecting that either, right? So all in all, this is a just little piece of fun and it actually looks quite well designed, so I don't think it will die in 2 years. It might actually have the same performance as my Opteron 148 @ 2.85GHz "system" ;D

@GaK_45:

Im not sold on the whole HTPC bit,  sure they are about half to a third the cost of a NUC…but there is plenty of non-NUC systems that are just as low power, just as small and just as cheap.

On the other hand as an low power 'web surfer' these look to be perfect.  Slap it in an itty bitty case that can mount to the mack of a monitor and BAM perfect 'dining room' or 'kitchen' system for looking up recipes, tweeting and even Skyping.  Plus with such a small investment...who cares if its dies in 2 or 3 years.

Some of those similarly priced items I don't believe actually have any PCI-E slots usually. With this, you would actually be able to say use a capture card on it, or slap in a RAID card and now you've turns this inexpensive device into your compat home server machine without spending a lot of money.

Views